PDA

View Full Version : Legs on Gitzo 1325 Hard to Open - Fix?

Brian Ellis
16-Jul-2010, 17:43
The legs on my older (circa 1999) Gitzo 1325 tripod are becoming more and more difficult to open and close and make a creaking noise as they're opened and closed. I thought it might just be a matter of loosening the two nuts (or whatever exactly they're called) on either side of each leg at the top. But I can't move them using a wrench and I'm reluctant to try much force since I'm not even sure they're supposed to move. I also put some lubricating oil in there but all that did was get oil all over me and the tripod. If anyone has any ideas for a fix I'd appreciate hearing it. I can post pictures if that would help. Thanks.

Curt
17-Jul-2010, 00:30
My Studex was that way but I got the nuts loosened and then lubricated and now they are fine. Did you try to put in some WD40 or similar to dissolve the gunk that is keeping them frozen?

Brian Ellis
17-Jul-2010, 08:00
My Studex was that way but I got the nuts loosened and then lubricated and now they are fine. Did you try to put in some WD40 or similar to dissolve the gunk that is keeping them frozen?

Hi Curt - Thanks. No, I didn't try that because I wasn't sure they were even supposed to be capable of being loosened. I'll give it a try. Do you happen to remember whether both nuts on each leg are turned counter-clockwise to be loosened or whether one is turned in one direction and the other in the opposite direction?

Curt
17-Jul-2010, 09:12
Hi Brian, yes they both turn to the left as in a usual US standard. They are acorn nuts, they were just too tight and the legs were so stiff it was hard to move them.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products.ex?N=999602448

Brian Ellis
17-Jul-2010, 11:19
Thanks Curt. Knowing from your messages that the nuts are capable of being turned, I used greater force than I had before and was able to move them just fine with an 11mm wrench. Tripod legs now can be opened and closed very easily. Thanks again.