PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix Quality (see my new 5x12)

Richard K.
16-Jul-2010, 16:04
In a doctor prescribed move, I've been down-sizing my cameras a bit and just took delivery of a new Chamonix 5x12 camera and holders. I just want to say that the quality is just *ridiculous! I mean that word in the sense that today's teenagers use it, meaning fantastic, amazing, what we used to call "swell" :D Both the camera and holders are exquisitely made and beautifully finished. This camera now sports user friendly single swing opening bail, front tilt stops. 90 deg back stop and enlarged knobs (always good!). The holders fit perfectly in position and show perfect registration; I've never seen a nicer flat black matte interior finish. Couldn't be more pleased.
Oh, I have no connection to this company other than enriching their bank account on occasion...:)

*My 19-year-old son says ridiculous is now passe, so I said should I have said phat? He just rolled his eyes and walked away muttering to himself...

Here's a picture of my new baby...

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn15/RichardK47/Chamonix5x12JPG.jpg

Allen in Montreal
16-Jul-2010, 16:15
That is soooooo sweet looking!!
:) :)

Andrew ren
16-Jul-2010, 16:24
Richard, you sure you are down-sizing?

Andrew

BarryS
16-Jul-2010, 16:30
Beautiful camera. Try mentioning your new camera is "sick" the next time your son walks by--he might roll his eyes a bit less (or a lot more). :)

Curt
16-Jul-2010, 16:36
How many film holders do you have to used with the new camera? It sure looks nice.

Richard K.
16-Jul-2010, 16:51
How many film holders do you have to used with the new camera? It sure looks nice.

Thanks Curt. I ordered 6 holders for this camera...

Richard K.
16-Jul-2010, 16:53
Richard, you sure you are down-sizing?

Andrew

:) Yes....I sold my 14x17 and will sell the 8x20 (the 5x12 is the replacement for this) as soon as people have money again...:D

Richard K.
16-Jul-2010, 16:54
That is soooooo sweet looking!!
:) :)

Thanks Allen. You are obviously a man of discerning taste.:)

Richard K.
16-Jul-2010, 16:55
Beautiful camera. Try mentioning your new camera is "sick" the next time your son walks by--he might roll his eyes a bit less (or a lot more). :)

LOL of course! Why didn't I remember that?!?

Scott --
16-Jul-2010, 17:47
Tell him you're "pwning" the format. At'd be pronounced "poning", as in brutally owning. He'll start asking about your friends... :D

Beautiful new cam, BTW!

Bill_1856
16-Jul-2010, 19:52
All these crazy sizes have me confused. Is that cm or inches?
Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to just use standard full size film and crop when you print it?

Frank Petronio
16-Jul-2010, 19:57
Just say it's "sweet" or better yet, "tits". It sure, damn Chinese.

Rayt
16-Jul-2010, 20:19
Seems it is harder and harder to resist getting into 5x7.

joshdaskew
16-Jul-2010, 21:10
The camera looks great! I agree that the quality of the finish in the Chamonix line of cameras is absolutely beautiful.. I have the original Chamonix 45N-1 and was hoping you could elaborate on this term that you wrote

"This camera now sports user friendly single swing opening bail, front tilt stops."

One of my annoyances with the 45N-1 is that If I use a front shift, I then have to go to the front of the camera to see that it is zeroed. I hate the lack of "zero" points compared to other cameras I have had. Is this fixed on the later models by "front tilt stops"? Also, could you please elaborate on the other term "single swing opening bail"?

Thanks so much, much appreciated!

Richard K.
16-Jul-2010, 21:33
The camera looks great! I agree that the quality of the finish in the Chamonix line of cameras is absolutely beautiful.. I have the original Chamonix 45N-1 and was hoping you could elaborate on this term that you wrote

"This camera now sports user friendly single swing opening bail, front tilt stops."

One of my annoyances with the 45N-1 is that If I use a front shift, I then have to go to the front of the camera to see that it is zeroed. I hate the lack of "zero" points compared to other cameras I have had. Is this fixed on the later models by "front tilt stops"? Also, could you please elaborate on the other term "single swing opening bail"?

Thanks so much, much appreciated!

Sorry....:)

About the bail, I just meant that there is ONE bar that swings out and raises the back away for holder insertion, instead if the TWO (keft and right) found on their other LF sizes (11x14, 14x17, etc.). For me, this is an improvement and I hope they continue that design with all of their formats. What I meant by front tilt stop was poorly worded by me! It is simply a bar on each side of the front standard that can be slid out and engage the slot in the front standard vertical metal supports, preventing unwanted tilt with heavy lenses when performing rise or fall...

There is no zero detent for front shift; that still has to be visually determined.

Richard K.
16-Jul-2010, 21:41
All these crazy sizes have me confused. Is that cm or inches?
Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to just use standard full size film and crop when you print it?

Inches. Which size standard full size film are you referring to? :)

Not cheaper since these special film run prices are proportional to film area and there is no wastage by cropping unwanted acreage (well, inchage anyway). Also easier if you really like the format and don't want cropping. Previous comments assume contact printing, if enlarging, then sure...

Curt
17-Jul-2010, 00:18
Seems it is harder and harder to resist getting into 5x7.

Just give in and get going, it's a great format to be in, I have one and two fixer-upper-type ones that I use for nothing. I also have a reducing back for 8X10 down to 5X7.

mhanc
17-Jul-2010, 05:10
Sweet !!

I have been thinking about selling some gear and replacing it with a 6x12 cm or 6x17 cm camera; however, this has got me thinking larger. Special run film is an issue, though. Any thoughts or advice on this issue beyond the obvious? It seems like Ilford are the only one doing special runs - and that is once per year. Other special orders never seem to get off the ground due to lack of interest.

Agree on the build and finish quality of the Chamonix.

Rayt
17-Jul-2010, 05:35
Just give in and get going, it's a great format to be in, I have one and two fixer-upper-type ones that I use for nothing. I also have a reducing back for 8X10 down to 5X7.

There is the lack of daylight 5x7 tanks and that no lab in my city will do 5x7. It would however be an opportunity to send the sheets out to dr5 for huge slides.

Ben Calwell
17-Jul-2010, 05:52
Very nice camera, and those bannanas should be just about right in a day or so.

John Bowen
17-Jul-2010, 07:16
Inches. Which size standard full size film are you referring to? :)

Not cheaper since these special film run prices are proportional to film area and there is no wastage by cropping unwanted acreage (well, inchage anyway). Also easier if you really like the format and don't want cropping. Previous comments assume contact printing, if enlarging, then sure...

Richard,

What are you printing on? I guess Ilford will cut film for you, but do you coat your own papers? 5x12 seems an odd size (to me, at least). You can't print on 8x10, I guess you can get 2 prints from a sheet of 11x14, or 4 prints from a sheet of 16x20...

Just curious, because as a contact printer on Azo/Lodima, you'd have to deal with 20x24 sheets of Lodima. Now that I think of it, you could get 8 prints from a sheet of 20x24 paper. :cool:

Thanks!

Richard K.
17-Jul-2010, 07:35
Very nice camera, and those bannanas should be just about right in a day or so.

LOL...that was my thought exactly when I bought them at Costco earlier in the day!

Richard K.
17-Jul-2010, 07:43
Sweet !!

I have been thinking about selling some gear and replacing it with a 6x12 cm or 6x17 cm camera; however, this has got me thinking larger. Special run film is an issue, though. Any thoughts or advice on this issue beyond the obvious? It seems like Ilford are the only one doing special runs - and that is once per year. Other special orders never seem to get off the ground due to lack of interest.

Agree on the build and finish quality of the Chamonix.

I can honestly say that film availibilty has NEVER been an issue. If you miss the annual run (which you just did), you can often find overstock of the size you need in the usual stores that sell ULF film or buy larger (10x12 or 12x20 or 20x24 in the case of 5x12) and cut down or post a WTB or monitor FS here. I have yet to be stuck filmless!

If you are enlarging 6x12 or 6x17 cm, then IMO, you don't need 5x12 inches; however, if you can see yourself contact printing, then this is a sweet little size for silver and alternative processes. Tillman Crame is just one of many fine photographers using the format for that purpose.

Richard K.
17-Jul-2010, 07:53
Richard,

What are you printing on? I guess Ilford will cut film for you, but do you coat your own papers? 5x12 seems an odd size (to me, at least). You can't print on 8x10, I guess you can get 2 prints from a sheet of 11x14, or 4 prints from a sheet of 16x20...

Just curious, because as a contact printer on Azo/Lodima, you'd have to deal with 20x24 sheets of Lodima. Now that I think of it, you could get 8 prints from a sheet of 20x24 paper. :cool:

Thanks!

Hi John;

I do print on silver (Ilford WT mostly), where I cut 11x14 in half. But I mostly print in Pt/Pd (and mostly Pd in that because of expense!) and cut Cot320 or Platine or Weston Parchment to around 10x18. Paper wastage is not an expensive issue for the alternative process and a LITTLE wastage in silver I accept in order to have a bit of breathing room for image placement...
I also print WP (6.5"x8.5") on 8x10 paper.

evan clarke
17-Jul-2010, 12:24
I got an 11x14 from them a few months back and it is made perfectly. I'm considering asking them to make a 5x12 or 51/2 x14 back and holders. I didn't get any bananas...EC

Diane Maher
17-Jul-2010, 14:33
Congratulations, Richard! Welcome to the 5x12 club!

http://dianemaher.fotopic.net/p28558155.html

Diane

JamesFromSydney
18-Jul-2010, 07:50
Not long after getting into 4x5, I started thinking about 8x10 -- where does it end? Should I skip both 5x7 and 8x10 and go directly to 11x14? (Economics would be prohibitive beyond there, I think).

I want to do contact printing (I like the idea of not bothering with enlarging for some reason).