PDA

View Full Version : Going back to film, 1st LF camera

feppe
16-Jul-2010, 11:57
I finally did it: bought an LF camera after hunting for a particular model for well over a year. Been mostly lurking here and thanks for all the inspiration and guidance. More on the beauty when she arrives..

It's been a few years since I've shot 35mm and 6x6 film, and was wondering what is the current view on "best" 4x5 transparency films to be drum scanned.

I used to shoot Velvia 50 exclusively, but moved to Provia when I started scanning as the service I used was having hard time with deep shadows, and at the time I heard others lamenting the same with Velvia scans. Is Provia the best choice for color landscapes and cityscapes?

My main reason for LF is portraits and glamour, though. Having very limited experience with film and skintones, what would you recommend for the most pleasing skin tones in the studio? Transparency or negative?

Finally, if anyone knows of a reliable and quality drum scanning service in Europe I'd appreciate pointers.

feppe
16-Jul-2010, 11:58
Sorry double post, please delete this one.

brianam
16-Jul-2010, 15:42
I'm not as qualified as others here to answer, but in general it seems:
- portraits are best done on negative film
- neutral colors preferably (no Velvia 50!)
- something like a Kodak Portra 400NC is probably common, as would be Fuji 160S

enjoy your return to film! You're back in the company of many who never left it. :-)

ki6mf
17-Jul-2010, 04:05
If you go the color negative route I would also look over the Kodak Portra 160 and the New Ektar 100 or if using Fuji the Pro 160 S

Lachlan 717
17-Jul-2010, 04:43
Consider Astia for transparency portraits.

sergiob
21-Jul-2010, 19:13
I used to shoot KODAK Ektachrome EPP100 because it was the most neutral film on the market. I never really liked PROVIA because it was too warm for skin tones. After those, KODAK released Ektachrome GX and I only had a few chances to test since at the time I went digital, it looked very promising and way better than EPP. More latitude and better grain. I wonder how EKTAR 100 fares with portraiture. I would love to try it but I can't develop color film,...yet.