PDA

View Full Version : Yosemite: where next ?

QT Luong
15-Jul-2010, 15:29
I am trying to complete my geographic coverage of Yosemite National Park.

Given what I already have (see: http://www.terragalleria.com/parks/np.yosemite.html) where do you suggest I go next this summer ? I am open to anything from day hikes to backpacking trips up to 4 days. I think I have enough of the Valley, though.

Eric Woodbury
15-Jul-2010, 16:35
Maybe have Hetch Hetchy drained and photo there. That hasn't been done in some time.

How about architecture, rock climbers, hikers, skiers, and the human element? Maybe this doesn't fit your concept of Yosemite, but it can make for some interesting photos or historical documents.

tgtaylor
15-Jul-2010, 17:56
I am trying to complete my geographic coverage of Yosemite National Park.

Given what I already have (see: http://www.terragalleria.com/parks/np.yosemite.html) where do you suggest I go next this summer ? I am open to anything from day hikes to backpacking trips up to 4 days. I think I have enough of the Valley, though.

You have only started to cover Yosemite. Here, for example, is a scan of an RA-4 print of a little known and visited waterfall (Wildcat) just a few meters off the road:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4142/4745778683_e45741d9e0.jpg

Thomas

Darin Boville
15-Jul-2010, 18:09
I "discovered" this one a few years ago. i also discovered at the same time that my hiking boots treated the rocks there like they were ice--had to go barefoot to move around. Didn't know its name...

--Darin

QT Luong
15-Jul-2010, 18:16
Not exactly the answers I was looking for, so let me clarify.

By "complete", I only mean adding to what I already have other significant (and preferably significantly different) areas that I have been clearly missing. I have no intention to photograph every square mile of the park.

As for different subjects, I do have a few images (see for instance http://www.terragalleria.com/mountain/mountain-area.big-wall.html
http://www.terragalleria.com/mountain/mountain.skiing-yosemite.html
http://www.terragalleria.com/parks/np.yosemite.29.html), but to make it again crystal clear, what I am talking about are natural landscape locations.

tgtaylor
15-Jul-2010, 20:16
[QUOTE=QT Luong;608401]Not exactly the answers I was looking for, so let me clarify.

By "complete", I only mean adding to what I already have other significant (and preferably significantly different) areas that I have been clearly missing. I have no intention to photograph every square mile of the park. QUOTE]

Follow the Lyell Fork of the Merced River towards Electra Peak. It's a vast and seldom visited area without an established trail although Adams lead Sierra Club outings to that area back in the 1920's. There's plenty of water and it's impossible to get lost. Galen Rowell visited the area and was very impressed with Hutchings Creek area. There's also a class 3 pass - steep but class 3 - near Rogers or Electra Peak where you can connect with the JMT going up Lyell Canyon to Tuolumne Meadows if you're looking for a loop. The area is covered on the 7.5 Minute USGS Map Mount Lyell Quad.

Probably looking at more than 4 days though.

Thomas

Eric James
15-Jul-2010, 20:56
Beautiful gallery Tuan. It might be worth giving Keith Walklet a call; maybe he'll drop in here.

BradS
15-Jul-2010, 23:24
QT, I don't know how it fits into what you have done or not done or wish to yet do....but, have you read John Muir's writings? Personally, I would love to see some modern photos of some of the "off the beaten path" areas that he talks about. It woudl of course, require some interpretation aas I don't recall him giving specific details about how to get to these places...hmmm...maybe its not even possible today.

Robert Oliver
16-Jul-2010, 06:54
I enjoyed the trip from Yosemite creek campground to the top of Yosemite Falls and over to Indian Ridge and North Dome. Will probably check out the view from Eagle Peak next week when we go. We camped on Indian Ridge, some spectacular views of half dome at sunset. I regret not taking my view camera when we did it a couple of years ago.

Drew Wiley
16-Jul-2010, 10:58
If it were me, I'd avoid almost every single spot anyone considers Yosemite. Going in from the very south or the north rims of the park, and not up 120, you'll find a lot of open space with very few people. I'm not even going to say where my favorite spots are, but Tom has already given you a great clue. Let's put it this way - if nuisance
bears, anal uptight rangers, and giardia are around, you're in the wrong kind of place.
In fact, a lot of the park is seldom photographed, at least LF.

Preston
16-Jul-2010, 11:22
QT,

Park at the trailhead for Elizabeth Lake. Once you get to the lake, head cross-country over toward the Echo Peaks, Unicorn Peak, and Matthes Crest. Incredible country, and very quiet.

There is also great climbing on the Echo Peaks, and the Matthes Crest traverse is one of the all-time greats! http://www.supertopo.com/rock-climbing/Tuolumne-Meadows-Matthes-Crest-Traverse-from-South-to-North

Enjoy!

--P

Bill_1856
16-Jul-2010, 12:14
Don't worry about where to photograph. Just go where/when you think you'll enjoy it -- that's what life is about.
PS, I admire your gallery.

Curt
16-Jul-2010, 14:06
This is an easy one, Glacier National Park, it's slowly disappearing, the glaciers that is, a thorough documentation of it would be of great historical value and in your beautiful style it would be a work of great art that others will enjoy for a long time to come.

Keith S. Walklet
14-Sep-2010, 17:04
LOL! Shows what kind of summer I've had. Uh... how about destinations for next summer?

Some wonderful images QT, which isn't a surprise. Lots of familiar places up high and special many special moments. :-)

I think you'd find the northeastern part of the park interesting. Not as easy to get to, but worth the effort. In through Twin Lakes, or cross-country out of the Hoover.

The Lyell Fork mentioned earlier was the first destination of our "First Light" group in 2001. That's where AA took Okeefe et al in the 30s.

And I really was impressed with the Jack Main area. Hot and dry compared to the relative cool of Tuolumne, but some wonderful terrain with lots of interesting rock.

Doesn't look like you've been to Ten Lakes either. Wonderful spot hovering on the edge of the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne and not difficult to get to.

So, where did you get to this year?

Vaughn
14-Sep-2010, 17:37
I see you have already been to the Arch, and probably North Dome.

It has to be done before the Glacier Point Road opens in the Spring, but a backpack trip from the Wawona Tunnel to Glacier Point is good (down the Four Mile Trail). or XCountry Ski it in the winter. One is directly above the Valley most of the time -- and it is something to do out of the valley before the roads open up elsewhere.

But you seem to have most of the park covered -- but then there is a lot I don't know about (understatement!)

tgtaylor
15-Sep-2010, 15:41
IMO the Lyle Fork area is also the scene of one of AA's best photographs. Looks terrific even today.

Tukuhnik
15-Sep-2010, 20:42
I am new to the forum. My interest in large format happen this summer during a visit to Glacier park. I saw a black man (no offense, I hope) shooting a very large box camera (larger than a 5x4). The camera seemed to be from the early 1900. He seemed very accomplished and skillful. The man (Maison, I think is his name) was polite enough but very deflective with his answers. I and others noticed the park rangers kept a presence. He nor any of the rangers provided any information beyond his name. I was wondering if any of you large format guys know how he is, how to contact him, or where I could view his work? Thanks

Greg Miller
25-Sep-2010, 20:24
Despite its peaceful sense of remoteness, Yosemite is relatively easy to get to from anywhere in the world. All public roadways into the Park are well maintained and open year-round, with the exception of Tioga Road (Highway 120 East between Crane Flat and Highway 395 in Lee Vining).
The free Valley Shuttle runs on a continuous loop through Yosemite Valley throughout the day all year-round. The daily start and end time for the shuttle varies with the season and a few stops are seasonal and or stop service at dark. Park your car at your hotel or campground, or use the day parking lots located in Yosemite Village and Curry Village. The Valley Shuttle stops at all lodging and camping venues as well as the major eateries, shopping areas, popular attractions and trailheads. Avoid the hassles of parking lots and getting lost as you relax, take in the sights and let us do the driving! During the winter the Yosemite Valley Shuttle system operates 7am - 10pm and runs every 30 min. In the summer, buses run every 5 - 10 minutes.

And this text is another direct quote from this site: http://www.yosemitepark.com/public-transportation.aspx

Steve M Hostetter
26-Sep-2010, 03:02
wagons east? do the route 66 thing and I'll see ya in Indy ;)

sidmac
26-Sep-2010, 07:59
Tuolumne Meadows and head up the trails from there into the high country. Also try the Merced river canyon on the highway 140 entrance.

Drew Wiley
27-Sep-2010, 16:07
Claude Fidler published an interesting little book of Yos 4x5 backcountry shots. Like his
other books on the Great Basin and High Sierra in general, some of the viewpoints are
remote or taken from peaks. He uses some kind of ultralight camera, perhaps a Gowland.

Rider
27-Sep-2010, 19:01
Your work is impressive. I look forward to more from Yosemite.

QT Luong
25-Oct-2010, 17:41
Keith, it was nice meeting you at Charles Cramer's opening.

I thought that what I missed the most was rugged mountain terrain, so I did this x-country loop near the Sierra crest: Saddlebag Lake, Upper McCabe Lake, Roosevelt Lake, Young Lakes, Mt Conness. I thought the landscape was superb, and in particular, I really liked being above tree line almost all the time.

The Lyell fork sounds great, I'll have to get there another year. I've climbed Matterhorn Peak, so I remember great terrain, but curiously, I didn't take any photo looking into Yosemite on that trip.

I've the three Fiddler books, which indeed feature interesting locations.

Keith S. Walklet
25-Oct-2010, 20:43
Yes! Great choice for a loop trip!

Also enjoyed seeing you at the presentation. Ten Lakes next? Awesome location!

I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Barry Kirsten
26-Oct-2010, 00:52
Q-T, your work is beautiful! I got to know Yosemite through AA's books and what I've seen on TV. We have beautiful country in Aust. but there is nowhere in the world as unique as Yosemite. I'll have to make a trip while I can still backpack a camera. Thanks for sharing your work.

Baz.

MumbleyJoe
27-Oct-2010, 13:42
Ten Lakes and Sunrise Lakes both look beautiful to me (including images of Keith's in "First Light" - my absolute favorite collection of Yosemite imagery). I had the fortune to backpack to Young Lakes this summer and absolutely loved it.

/I'm jealous of anyone who got to attend the Cramer presentation down in Carmel.

Drew Wiley
28-Oct-2010, 13:40
QT - I hope to get back into the north rim country or back into the SE corner myself
next yr or so. A lot more quiet than the part of the park most folks are familiar with.
I particularly like going up the Granite Cr drainage and into the park from the south
over Isberg Pass, and up toward the headwaters of the Merced that way. Some
fantastic long views clear across the park, but you'd need a long lens to take full
advantage of this. The cross-country route up to Blue Lk from the N Fork of the San Joaquin and over the boundary from there is also remarkable, but fairly steep in places.

outabounds
30-Oct-2010, 19:53
Have you shot from Sierra Point? It has unique views of Yosemite, Vernal, Nevada and Illouette Falls. There aren't very many other views of Illouette.

Merg Ross
30-Oct-2010, 22:05
You might enjoy photographing the Kibbie Lake and Eleanor Lake trail area. Start at the Cherry Lake Dam.

For a more strenuous and rewarding hike, adjacent to Yosemite, there is Cherry Valley (in the Emigrant Wilderness). This is pretty much unmarked once you drop into the canyon from the Kibbie Ridge trail. Be prepared for rattlesnakes and bears. You will encounter very few people. I once was there with a party of three and we did not see another human being for ten days. This was a few years ago, so perhaps has changed. However, it is a beautiful, unspoiled area, very rugged and not recommended for those inexperienced in the wilderness.

Curt
31-Oct-2010, 02:12
This is an easy one, Glacier National Park, it's slowly disappearing, the glaciers that is, a thorough documentation of it would be of great historical value and in your beautiful style it would be a work of great art that others will enjoy for a long time to come.

I apologize, I didn't understand what was being asked.

Curt

tgtaylor
31-Oct-2010, 09:30
A good project and one that's long overdue is a black & white study of the John Muir Trail and the High Sierra. I think Ansel Adams was the last (and only?) photographer that did one.

I once ran into a PCT hiker whose trail name was "Color" that was doing the PCT with a pro 35mm SLR and packing a tripod in a tripod holster attached to his waist. Je said he wanted to publish a photo documentry of hiking the PCT Trail. I wonder if it ever came to fuitation?

A black & white study of the PCT is also overdue and probably never done.

Drew Wiley
31-Oct-2010, 15:42
Merg - a hiking and photo companion of mine has extensively photographed that
Cherry/Kibbie drainage in medium format. His most interesting print is of a dead bear wedged between the rocks right in the middle of the creek. Bottled water,
anyone?

ROL
31-Oct-2010, 15:55
A good project and one that's long overdue is a black & white study of the John Muir Trail and the High Sierra. I think Ansel Adams was the last (and only?) photographer that did one.

I don't know quite what to make of this comment. The JMT, specifically and itself?

Adams' seminal treatise, "Sierra Nevada, The John Muir Trail", which was instrumental in the creation of Kings Canyon National Park included many of the range's locations not including the JMT's specific routing. I, myself, have exhibited an entire show (http://www.rangeoflightphotography.com/pages/a-walk-through-the-range-of-light) in 2008 along the same vein - all monochrome gelatin silver prints, which I continue to work on to this day - and I am by no means under the impression that I am the only one.

Drew Wiley
31-Oct-2010, 17:17
Wow, thanks Ben. I'm having a little trouble getting some of the images up, so will
have to try my office computer tomorrow. They sure look interesting. I've always tried to avoid the Muir trail myself, although there are a few section like Evolution Valley and Basin, and LeConte Can where it is inevitable. And all my own early work was in color, but now mostly black and white. One can never tire of the high Sierras.

Drew Wiley
1-Nov-2010, 10:24
Ben - got your site working. That shot of Lk Reflection is especially rewarding. I'd
imagine it has generated some print sales.

Merg Ross
3-Nov-2010, 21:06
Merg - a hiking and photo companion of mine has extensively photographed that
Cherry/Kibbie drainage in medium format. His most interesting print is of a dead bear wedged between the rocks right in the middle of the creek. Bottled water,
anyone?

Not surprising. My first sight of a dead bear was on the east fork of Cherry Creek. At the time, before Cherry Dam was built, Yosemite NP dumped the "bad" bears in Cherry Valley, and the valley was classified as a Primitive Area. Construction of the dam made the valley more accessible.

One year, before the dam, we took two cars and left one at Kennedy Meadows and the other at the present dam site. We commenced to hike between the two points, the northern portion by trail, and the rest by instinct and good fortune. We were in no hurry, took about ten days and did not see another individual the last six days.

Drew Wiley
4-Nov-2010, 09:37
Hi Merg - my friend keeps trying to convince me to go photograph upper Cherry Cr with large format, but I'd need a year when it's not so hot when the creek is low enough to be safe. I'm not very well heat conditioned with my heavy pack anymore, and prefer higher altitudes. That shortcut across Kibbie and into the creek is only about 6000ft, so pretty hot and dry at the end of June. I did a little exploratory 4WD
and hiking in the vicinty this past June, but that was when snowdrifts were contiguous everywhere above 7000, and runoff in the drainages below still quite
hazardous.

rolex87
19-Jun-2011, 21:54

I once ran into a PCT hiker whose trail name was "Color" that was doing the PCT with a pro 35mm SLR and packing a tripod in a tripod holster attached to his waist. Je said he wanted to publish a photo documentry of hiking the PCT Trail. I wonder if it ever came to fuitation?

A black & white study of the PCT is also overdue and probably never done.

I'd like to see this and examine changes in the landscape!