PDA

View Full Version : Something wrong developing

Studebaker
15-Jul-2010, 12:08
Hi friends.
This afternoon when i was developing my sheets with my combiplan, something went wrong.
Somebody knows what's happening?
Please, see the picture

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/1604/falloplaca.jpg

Cheers from Spain

Gem Singer
15-Jul-2010, 12:23
Are you certain that's a developing error?

Bob Salomon
15-Jul-2010, 12:26
Did you have the proper amount of chemistry in the tank? It looks like one end was not in chemistry. Please check the following:
Are the curved grooves on each side both facing in, towards each other? Or are the straight grooves or one curved and one straight sides facing in?

Are either the front or rear release bars on the Film Clip broken?

Studebaker
15-Jul-2010, 12:30
Are you certain that's a developing error?

I think so.
What do you tink that happens?
Thanks

Studebaker
15-Jul-2010, 12:31
Did you have the proper amount of chemistry in the tank? It looks like one end was not in chemistry. Please check the following:
Are the curved grooves on each side both facing in, towards each other? Or are the straight grooves or one curved and one straight sides facing in?

Are either the front or rear release bars on the Film Clip broken?

I have this results two times ago.
I don't know which are the parts of sheet that are in each one
Thanks

Bob McCarthy
15-Jul-2010, 12:37
Is this a crop??

I say that because the sheets are inserted lengthwise into the combi holder. ie portrait.

Which means either the left or right side is light struck.
What that dark area to the right is I don't know.

Poorly seated holder?? bellows issue?? Lens board not seated??

Doesn't appear like developing error "only" to me,

??

bob

Gem Singer
15-Jul-2010, 12:48
There are out of focus areas in the picture.

They are not the result of developing errors.

The problem began before the film was placed in the Combi-Plan tank.

Probably film holder errors.

Bob McCarthy
15-Jul-2010, 12:55
[QUOTE=Gem Singer;608321]There are out of focus areas in the picture.

QUOTE]

GEM

heck i thought this was caused by one of those "new fangled" brass lenses I been hearin' about.

You know the ones, believe thay are called a Pretzel or something like that

bob

Brian C. Miller
15-Jul-2010, 13:11
Looks like the right-hand side of the film was out of the developer, so it wasn't seated well. Then along the top it looks like there is uneven agitation flow.

I used a Yankee tank for a little while, and then I gave it up for using a tray or Jobo expert drum. I made my own sheet holder for a tray, and I've always had great results with it.

Nice use of selective focus.

Kirk Keyes
15-Jul-2010, 13:13
Nice photo. Although it looks like a F1 car and not a Studebaker.

Kirk

PS - my father has a 63 Avanti R2 and a 56 President Speedster (yellow and green).

Bob Salomon
15-Jul-2010, 13:15
I think so.
What do you tink that happens?
Thanks

Have you taken the rack apart for cleaning? If so was it reassembled propelrly with the cuved grooves facing each other?

Do you follow the directions for removing the film clip by gently pressing in on the bars on each side of the clip to remove the tension on the locking ratchet?

Gem Singer
15-Jul-2010, 13:17
That looks different than any selective focus pattern that i am familiar with.

However, I've been fooled by Studebaker's in the past.

Bob McCarthy
15-Jul-2010, 13:24
Looks like the right-hand side of the film was out of the developer, so it wasn't seated well. Then along the top it looks like there is uneven agitation flow.

I use combi tanks for 4x5 and have never seen surge marks like this, certainly not on one edge only.

OP please describe your agitation schedule.

bob

Studebaker
16-Jul-2010, 02:41
Is this a crop??

I say that because the sheets are inserted lengthwise into the combi holder. ie portrait.

Which means either the left or right side is light struck.
What that dark area to the right is I don't know.

Poorly seated holder?? bellows issue?? Lens board not seated??

Doesn't appear like developing error "only" to me,

??

bob

Is the entire sheet

There are out of focus areas in the picture.

They are not the result of developing errors.

The problem began before the film was placed in the Combi-Plan tank.

Probably film holder errors.

Is for tilted focus.

[QUOTE=Gem Singer;608321]There are out of focus areas in the picture.

QUOTE]

GEM

heck i thought this was caused by one of those "new fangled" brass lenses I been hearin' about.

You know the ones, believe thay are called a Pretzel or something like that

bob

Not Pretzel, Schneider_Kreuznach 10 268 713 Xenar 1:4,5/150 and Linhof Master Technika IV

I used a Yankee tank for a little while, and then I gave it up for using a tray or Jobo expert drum. I made my own sheet holder for a tray, and I've always had great results with it.

Nice use of selective focus.

Thanks.
Can i see your sheet holder please, i think that is my problem, the agitation.

Nice photo. Although it looks like a F1 car and not a Studebaker.

Kirk

PS - my father has a 63 Avanti R2 and a 56 President Speedster (yellow and green).

Really, i love them.
Yes, F1 at home, in Valencia, last month.

That looks different than any selective focus pattern that i am familiar with.

However, I've been fooled by Studebaker's in the past.

I don't know, are my first shots on large format camera.

I use combi tanks for 4x5 and have never seen surge marks like this, certainly not on one edge only.

OP please describe your agitation schedule.

bob

I think that is my problem, this weekend i'll try it with other agitation.
I shot Efke 100 and develope with HC-110.
Somebody knows what dilutions for stand development in Rodinal?

Thanks for all.
Sorry for my poor english.

Bob Salomon
16-Jul-2010, 03:22
The proper agitation techniqe is to use the amount of chemistry stamped on the bottom side of the lid. Fill the filmholder and put an unbroken clip on the top to hold the film in. Make sure that the film is curved on both sides, that means the holder is properly assembled.
Close the tank, put the funnel on top, give the Light Tight Hose Connector a 1/2 twist to open the air way, fill the tank from the top Through the funnel. When the required amount of chemistry is in the tank, close the air path, pur the cap in place and rap the tank bottom against a table a couple of times to dislodge any air bells. When it is time to agitate lift the tank up and turn it updside down, when you hear and feel the chemistry stop moving turn it back so it is now right side up. Repeat this for however long the agitation cycle is.

When the processing time is up open the bottom drain by removing the cap and give a half turn to open an airway.

Studebaker
16-Jul-2010, 04:01
Thank you very much

Gem Singer
16-Jul-2010, 07:37
Some friendly advice. learned from experience:

Make sure that the sheet of film is loaded properly into your film holder. Check to be certain that it slid under both side rails by flicking it up with you finger nail.

Before making any camera movements, look at the front and rear standards from the side and make sure that they are parallel to each other. Use a spirit level to make certain that your camera is not tilted up, down, or sideways.

When loading the film into the film rack of the Combi-Plan tank, check to be certain that you haven't accidentally loaded two films into the same slot.

Use a pre-soak and stay with Efke film and HC110 developer. Forget about stand development in Rodinal.

Studebaker
20-Jul-2010, 02:27
Hi friends, here are the real problem

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/7859/foto7u.jpg

Bob Salomon
20-Jul-2010, 08:18
How did you manage to do that to the bellows?

Studebaker
20-Jul-2010, 09:03
I'll ask to the last owner of the camera.
He gave me a new bellows.

Kirk Keyes
20-Jul-2010, 13:07
Refold the bellows and close it up and let it set for a while. It should be OK as long as you get it folded correctly.

Studebaker
21-Jul-2010, 08:44
Wow Kirk, you have a great images at your gallery.