PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Prism Finder for Sinar: Any Opinions?

philipmorg
14-Jul-2010, 13:34
Has anyone used one of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/90-Degree-Right-Angel-Prism-Finder-Sinar-4x5-Camera_W0QQitemZ270595298482QQcmdZViewItemQQssPageNameZRSS:B:SRCH:US:101#ht_3672wt_902

I'm interested in knowing whether they compare favorably to the Sinar Binocular Reflex item.

Thanks,
--Philip.

Mark Woods
14-Jul-2010, 13:58
I own the Sinar Binocular Reflex. The adjustments are handy in the Sinar product. Although I have one, I don't use it very often, but then I'm shooting more 8x10 and 11x14 lately.

Bob Salomon
15-Jul-2010, 01:54
Extremely cheap for a "prisim" finder. By being a "prisim" finder the image will be right side up and not reversed left to right.

Almost all finders like the one being sold are mirror reflex systems and they make the image right side up but reversed left to right. Being a mirror system it is critical that it is a front surface mirror so the image plane is on top of the mirror and not behind the mirror glass.

So you may want to ask just what they are selling and what is inside it.

Sascha Welter
15-Jul-2010, 02:07
Looking at the images it most certainly is not a prism finder, but a mirror reflex thing.

evan clarke
15-Jul-2010, 04:41
Still need to loupe it, better to look at thing upside down. I have had one of these for my Arca for years and it's just not as good as doing it with the loupe..EC

philipmorg
15-Jul-2010, 09:00
Thanks for chiming in everyone! I think I'll go for a used Sinar reflex finder rather than this questionable item.

Bob Salomon
15-Jul-2010, 10:14
Still need to loupe it, better to look at thing upside down. I have had one of these for my Arca for years and it's just not as good as doing it with the loupe..EC

Why would it be? If you can see the entire image area with a reflex device it does not have enough magnification for critical focusing. It is a composing aid not a focusing aid. Or, in the old days, an art director's tools so they would not have to visualize an upside down image.

evan clarke
15-Jul-2010, 12:18
Why would it be? If you can see the entire image area with a reflex device it does not have enough magnification for critical focusing. It is a composing aid not a focusing aid. Or, in the old days, an art director's tools so they would not have to visualize an upside down image.

Well, I use one of those nice, new generation zoom Technika finders you sell and already have all my corners figured out before I go back and get my camera. That finder is almost the best thing I ever bought for photography and it is with me 24/7/365!!!

Bob Salomon
15-Jul-2010, 12:20
Well, I use one of those nice, new generation zoom Technika finders you sell and already have all my corners figured out before I go back and get my camera. That finder is almost the best thing I ever bought for photography and it is with me 24/7/365!!!

But that is a composing aid and not a focus device. But for what it does it does very well since it is both parralax and field size corrected! Glad it works for you.

evan clarke
15-Jul-2010, 12:26
But that is a composing aid and not a focus device. But for what it does it does very well since it is both parralax and field size corrected! Glad it works for you.

The best thing is that I always have a little walk back to get the camera which gives me time to think about all aspects of the photograph. People laugh at me for carrying this expensive little thing in my pocket but they all want to look through it when we are out making pictures!!:)