PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening tools

Big Fish
6-Jul-2010, 14:54
Greetings....am printing BW large format prints from glass plates. What is good sharpening tool other on CS2?

Thanks.

alex best
6-Jul-2010, 17:28
I would think that large format might not need sharpening if shot properly. Depends what you're going for but I use cs3 and find it to be quite adequate. How are you scanning?

Big Fish
6-Jul-2010, 20:07
These glass plates are over 100 years old..6 x 8 plates.

ic-racer
7-Jul-2010, 12:01
I sharpen my tools with carborundum... :)

Brian Ellis
7-Jul-2010, 13:26
I don't use a third-party plug in, I use unsharp mask in Photoshop. But since no one has really responded to your question the plug-ins that a lot of people seem to use are PK Sharpen from Pixel Genius and NIK Sharpener. I did just download the free sharpening tools from www.thelightsrightstudio.com but haven't tried them yet. They look interesting but there isn't a lot of information about how to use them.

sergiob
7-Jul-2010, 13:34
The best approach yet devised, in my opinion, is that by Bruce Fraser, where he divides the sharpening workflow in 3 steps: capture sharpening, creative sharpening and target (output) sharpening. He wrote a very good book on the subject. For vast amounts of info on the subject go to the forums at luminous-landscape.com.

Big Fish
8-Jul-2010, 14:14
Many thanks to all.