PDA

View Full Version : Need Info on Arca-Swiss 8x10 Bellows/Frame Set

Jess C
6-Jul-2010, 14:36
I have an Arca-Swiss Bellows 8x10 frame set with 8x10 back and fresnel glass. I understand that there are two front frame sizes for this particular item, 141mm x 141mm and 171mm x 171mm and was wondering where the measurement is taken? The square opening of the front frame, according to my digital caliper, comes in at just over 142mm. The outside dimension of the entire front frame comes in at 171mm. So do I have the 141mm x 141mm version or the 171mm x 171mm?

Here is a pic of what I have. Any light you can shed on this and which measurement I go with is appreciated.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk184/jcastmhs/P1010143.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk184/jcastmhs/P1010142.jpg

John Schneider
6-Jul-2010, 14:45
Nice set!

Measure the outside dimension of the front bellows frame (the black metal piece on the top in the second picture).

Or stop Photomark at McDowell and 24th St. and talk to Rod, who's probably THE Arca expert in the States.

Jess C
6-Jul-2010, 15:00
Thanks John. I know Rod at Photomark. I have dealt with him before.

I figured the measurement would be taken from the outside of the front frame but just wanted to be sure. And if that is the case then it is the 171mm front frame set. Am I to assume that this is a conversion frame set for a 4x5 or 5x7 Arca Swiss or just the optional long 70cm bellows for the 810 Arca-Swiss. Or maybe both since they are modular?

Jess

resummerfield
6-Jul-2010, 15:05
On a newer 141mm Arca camera, the outside dimension of the metal frame attached to the bellows (that mates with the camera’s front standard) measures about 140mm, and the inside dimension is about 126mm. So I think you have the older 171mm frame set.

I think that the 8x10 frame sets for both the older 171mm and 141mm cameras share the same rear standard / format frame, and the same film holder and ground glass. The only difference is the bellows, which has the different metal frame to mate to the appropriate front standard.

Therefore, you could mate this 8x10 frame set to a newer camera by changing the bellows.

Jess C
6-Jul-2010, 15:10
On a newer 141mm Arca camera, the outside dimension of the metal frame attached to the bellows (that mates with the camera’s front standard) measures about 140mm, and the inside dimension is about 126mm. So I think you have the older 171mm frame set.

I think that the 8x10 frame sets for both the older 171mm and 141mm cameras share the same rear standard / format frame, and the same film holder and ground glass. The only difference is the bellows, which has the different metal frame to mate to the appropriate front standard.

Therefore, you could mate this 8x10 frame set to a newer camera by changing the bellows.

Well that tells me exactly what I needed to know. Thanks so much.

Jess