PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Chamonix 4x5 wide angle lens users!

Mel
5-Jul-2010, 22:57
I am transitioning from digital to a Chamonix as a result of stumbling upon the favorable reviews here. Thank you.

While I await the arrival of the 45n-2, I may have an opportunity to pick up two lightly used wide lenses, my lens of choice. at a great price: the Schneider Super Angulon 47mm and 72mm, F5.6 XL, on Linhof Boards.

I would be interested in hearing feedback from Chamonix users who have experience with these lenses? I will have the universal bellows. Do I need Center Filters? I plan on adding a Maxwell screen.

Many, many thanks in advance.

Adam Kavalunas
6-Jul-2010, 08:57
I have a maxwell screen on my orginal Chamonix model. I also just have the standard bellows and regularly use the Rodi 55mm. I have no problems at all. I could use the 47mm also with no issues. I shoot landscapes, so I don't use much in the line of movements, usually just a little rear tilt is all. I do not have a center filter for the 55mm and have no need to get one. There is a little bit of fall off, but for landscapes, I actually like the effect, and can easily remove it with a contrast mask in PS if need be.

Mel
6-Jul-2010, 18:50
Adam,

Much appreciation for your response and confirmations on the Maxwell and absence of a center filter.

Daniel_Buck
6-Jul-2010, 19:41
universal bellows will probably work just fine ok on the 72mm (if they are the same universal bellows I have on my 45n-1), but I think for the 47mm they might be a little tight (don't know for sure though). Depends on how much movement you are doing I guess.

I believe Vinny here on the forums said that the bag bellow from Shen-Hao fit on the Chamonix standards, that might be something to look at doing if you find the 47mm is to close for comfortable use with the universal bellows. :)

Mel
6-Jul-2010, 19:53
Daniel, brilliant! Thanks for mentioning that. Here is a link to that discussion: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=59564.

But the wild thing is I can't find the bellows anywhere, and the Shen-Hao website appears to be in Chinese only, unless I am missing something, which I must be. Where have folks snagged those bellows?

SergeyT
6-Jul-2010, 20:00
Try this : https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=134

Mel
6-Jul-2010, 20:04
:D Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding. We have a winner.;) I never would have figured that out. Thank you, Serge.

Mel
6-Jul-2010, 20:11
My Chamonix Accessory Wish List reads like Who's Who.:D

Mel
6-Jul-2010, 20:13
or What's What;)

Mel
6-Jul-2010, 22:54
Another question, please: why hasn't anyone mentioned the Chamonix 4X5 wide angle bellows at $100? Is it a new product or is there another reason folks prefer the Shen-Hao?

Daniel_Buck
7-Jul-2010, 12:08
I've not heard or seen anything about the wide angle bellows from Chamonix. I do see now that they have it listed on their site, I can only assume that they are a full bag bellow? I'm not really sure.

lilmsmaggie
8-Jul-2010, 11:53
Melanie,

May I suggest allowing Hugo Zhang the opportunity to answer your wide-angle related questions in regard to your proposed lens interests? He's usually quite responsive and he should know whether or not you will need the wide angle bellows.