PDA

View Full Version : The Great Yellow Father in Rochester Does Good!

John Kasaian
5-Jul-2010, 09:54
We're using lots of electricity in the San Joaquin Valley, especially last week when we were cookin' at 110 degrees.

This week my bride went to the freezer to liberate a tri tip for the BBQ only to find the circuit breaker for the garage had tripped we're guessing come time last week.

After girding my olfactorial loins, I cleaned out our freezer this morning. All the food was tossed and my stash of film and paper went onto the porch for sniffing and sorting.

Since my beak was shot after the stench from cleaning the freezer, I employed my lovely bride to give the yea or nay to the boxes when had been removed from thier Hefty bags(I kept them in slide lock storeage bags for a bit of extra protection from moisture)
None of the Kodak products (50 sheets of TXT, 25 sheets of TMY(the old stuff) 25 sheets of AZO F2 and 100sheets of AZO F3, all of it 8x10, was given thumbs up since the packaging had not absorbed any of the odor.
Kudos to Kodak for schnauz worthy packaging! The ever lovely yellow premium priced packaging proved its value to me.

The second place winner is Ilford---a box each of 25 sheets of 8x10 FP-4+ and 25 sheets of 5x7 HP-5+ smelled a little funky and has been sentenced to the patio for airing out.

Unfortunatley the Arista packaging (200 sheets of 8x10 .eduUltra, 100 sheets of 8x10 APHS, 500 sheets of Arista Graded fiber classic(Ilford Galerie) a 50 sheet box of 8x10 Efke PL25, and a 100 sheet box of my beloved Fomapan N111 are the real stinkers and will need some airing out, Fabreeze and Bounce sheets for rehab. The rolls of Kodak aerial film are also problematic--the craft boxes (which didn't have the benefit of being in zip lock storage bags since they are too big to fit) also stink to high heaven!If these don't respond to my efforts I can always ditch the boxes since they also come sealed in black plastic cassettes.

Ron Marshall
5-Jul-2010, 10:08
Sorry for the bad luck.

A worthwhile investment:

http://www.amazon.com/CDN-Audio-Visual-Freezer-Alarm/dp/B00012K6GA

dentkimterry
5-Jul-2010, 10:48
Oh...............I thought they were going to reintroduce some discontinued films.

Terry

tgtaylor
5-Jul-2010, 12:01
Here's a great way from the Great Yellow Father in Rochester to store film in the freezer/refrigerator:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4119/4765045482_9ac5704e50.jpg

I currently have about 20 boxes of 4x5 and several boxes of 120 in it but the interior dimensions indicate that it will hold 8x10 as well. Picked it up a couple of years ago for $5. You can probably find something similar at a WalMart.

Toyon
5-Jul-2010, 12:14
Grossest post ever!!!

GPS
5-Jul-2010, 12:21

Unfortunatley the Arista packaging (200 sheets of 8x10 .eduUltra, 100 sheets of 8x10 APHS, 500 sheets of Arista Graded fiber classic(Ilford Galerie) a 50 sheet box of 8x10 Efke PL25, and a 100 sheet box of my beloved Fomapan N111 are the real stinkers and will need some airing out, Fabreeze and Bounce sheets for rehab. The rolls of Kodak aerial film are also problematic--the craft boxes (which didn't have the benefit of being in zip lock storage bags since they are too big to fit) also stink to high heaven!If these don't respond to my efforts I can always ditch the boxes since they also come sealed in black plastic cassettes.

What's the problem, John? Is there any reciprocity failure for even strongly stinking films? :confused:

John Kasaian
5-Jul-2010, 13:07
What's the problem, John? Is there any reciprocity failure for even strongly stinking films? :confused:

The problem, lad, is that the effin' boxes the film comes in smelled like a three day old corpse discovered in a warm house!
They don't anymore. The fresh air, Fabreeze, and Bounce sheets apparently worked. Three pacakges of paper and the aerial film is still on the patio but the rest of my stash is inside the house now.
Of course the memory of this mornings adventure made eating my lunch (black bean and corn salsa) a bit dificult to enjoy!

John Kasaian
5-Jul-2010, 13:10
Grossest post ever!!!

This post isn't nearly as gross as the original stage production!

patrickjames
5-Jul-2010, 16:45
The real problem is you are storing food in your film freezer! Everyone knows food isn't as important as film.

John Jarosz
5-Jul-2010, 16:56
They make giant freezer bags now. In fact, some of the bags are so big they won't fit in my freezer when they're full.

Bruce Barlow
6-Jul-2010, 03:50
If you'd just stop eating you wouldn't have any of these problems.

Frank Petronio
6-Jul-2010, 04:35
Part of the family had a cold storage business near Rochester and they used (and still do) store pallets of Kodak film next to the Perry's Ice Cream in the giant freezers.

Robert Hughes
6-Jul-2010, 08:39
I have a big pile of 16mm and 35mm movie film that I stored in a Minneapolis freezer while away in Maryland. One hot summer's day I moved back to Minneapolis, only to find the tenants had unhooked the freezer some weeks before. :eek: Fortunately, only film was stored, but there was enough accumulated condensation to form a big puddle in the bottom of the freezer, ruining several 1600' reels of 16mm ortho stock. Bummer. Oh, well, stuff happens. At least I didn't pay new stock prices for the damaged film.

Drew Wiley
6-Jul-2010, 09:32
Well, John - the hotter it gets there, the cooler it is here. Had to use both house heater this weekend and the car heater on way to work this morning. Plenty of fog,
and my main concern is getting the caulk to dry on the porch so I can paint tonite,
unless it is just too cold and windy to paint. Typically around 50 degrees here on the
coast. Heh, heh, heh.

John Kasaian
6-Jul-2010, 21:25
Well, John - the hotter it gets there, the cooler it is here. Had to use both house heater this weekend and the car heater on way to work this morning. Plenty of fog,
and my main concern is getting the caulk to dry on the porch so I can paint tonite,
unless it is just too cold and windy to paint. Typically around 50 degrees here on the
coast. Heh, heh, heh.

All right, rub it in!;)
We were in LA celebrating my Uncle's 100th birthday (he downed his customary two Cadillac Margaritas and still smokes the occasional cigar with brandy) so I guess that coastal living is good for you!
Of course when we were down in LA, thats when the circuit breaker popped!:(

Michael Kadillak
12-Jul-2010, 06:09
I found a neighbor to come over and feed our dog while we were away in Montana and instructed her on re-setting the breaker on the garage circuit if it trips which happens more regularly than I want it to thank you very much. Thankfully, she caught it a couple of hours after it happened and got it re-set. Mine was tripping at the ground fault interrupter with the wall plug in.

I am going to speak with an electrician about installing a standard plug in or possible do it myself. It is not like I have a power sensitive delicate load behind it. Chest freezer is over 20 years old but still keeps on ticking.

John Bowen
18-Jul-2010, 15:05
Part of the family had a cold storage business near Rochester and they used (and still do) store pallets of Kodak film next to the Perry's Ice Cream in the giant freezers.

Perry's Ice Cream......now you're making me home sick

sun of sand
20-Jul-2010, 00:30
throw some mint in bags containing the smelly boxes

why?

I thought this was random post thread