PDA

View Full Version : Mounting and Presentation of Tintypes ??

DanK
5-Jul-2010, 09:06
As a stepping stone to wet plate, I have been enjoying Dry Plate tintypes (the rockland version)...

I am curious as to how those that create tintypes - either wet or dry - mount and present their images...

Thanks,
Dan

BarryS
5-Jul-2010, 09:17
I've been using two methods of framing for my tintypes and ambrotypes. I like framing the tins in a nice wide and ornate wood molding exactly the size of the tintype with no cover glass. For tins and ambros, I also frame in a simple black wood frame shadowbox larger than the plate, and I wire the corners to a black velvet covered backing with copper wire. I like the idea of presenting the plates as precious objects with dimensionality as opposed to overmatting them like a sheet of photographic paper.

DanK
6-Jul-2010, 16:11
Thanks Barry...I appreciate your help...Excellent options...

I tried a few mounts similar to prints, and they always looked like prints...which wasn't what I was going for...

Your methods were exactly what I was looking for...

Thanks again,
Dan

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
6-Jul-2010, 16:35
Small or large?

For small (images that will fit in your hand, so half plate or smaller), there is nothing nicer than a leather case. Making leather cases is difficult, but achievable. New cases are available, but the nice ones (http://casedimage.com) are rightfully expensive.

For large (5x7 and upward) I think the shadow box works best. I have used pairs of magnets to attach the image to the box. Four magnets are glued to the corners of the plate (removable if necessary) and four paired magnets are glued to the inside of the box/frame.