PDA

View Full Version : TXP Mistake ?

Ken Neely
29-Jun-2010, 07:58
I shot some TXP test sheets over weekend, having used mostly HP5+ in recent years.

The shots metered 1/125 @ F16 set for ISO 200 through an APO Sironar S 135. Sunny morning, medium tone subject, should have been about right.

Develeoped in HC110 dil H (1:63) at 68 f for 7 minutes in my Jobo -

The negatives look 2-3 stops thin, perhaps more.

Did I guess wrong on the developer time ?

Caveat - the owner of the property I was shooting yapped in my ear continuously the whole hour or so I was there. If I made an exposure mistake, I blame it on him ( grin )
but it was a consistent mistake across 4 separate shots - The meter and my calibrated eyeball are not suspect at this point..

Any thoughts ?

Ken

Pomona, Ca

Bob McCarthy
29-Jun-2010, 10:59
I would have thought dil.B would have been around 5.5 to 6 minutes,

Dil. H would have been 11-12 minutes, I would think.

But this would have been with tray style agitation,

bob

W K Longcor
29-Jun-2010, 11:01
Can you show some samples? It is easier to judge from an image.

Ken Lee
29-Jun-2010, 13:45
Another vote for wrong dilution: Too dilute. The photos should look several stops under-developed.

Bob McCarthy
29-Jun-2010, 14:22
Another thought is when developing in a Jobo and using very dilute developers, make sure the capacity of the developer is adequate for the film your processing.

HC110 Dil. H has half the capacity of Dil. B.

Overly dilute developers can cause issues when processing.

Ok, just looked up capacity Looks like 10 sheets 4x5 per liter with Dil B.

So Dilution H is 5 sheets per liter. 200 ml per sheet.

How many sheets went in the drum and how much chemistry did you use??

bob

Ken Neely
29-Jun-2010, 15:20
4 sheets of film, 300 ml of solution. I'll scan the negs and post when I get home tonight -

K

Bob McCarthy
29-Jun-2010, 15:35
By Kodak, to process 4 sheets of film you would need 800 ml of HC110 Dil. H.

Your developer just ran out of gas.

bob

Ken Neely
29-Jun-2010, 18:21
Thanks Bob - I'm going to repeat with a different but similar subject (i.e. no chatty owner !) this weekend and try again with dil b -

Ken

Bob McCarthy
29-Jun-2010, 19:30
great, let us know how it goes.

bob

natelfo
30-Jul-2010, 02:42
Another thought is when developing in a Jobo and using very dilute developers, make sure the capacity of the developer is adequate for the film your processing.

HC110 Dil. H has half the capacity of Dil. B.

Overly dilute developers can cause issues when processing.

Ok, just looked up capacity Looks like 10 sheets 4x5 per liter with Dil B.

So Dilution H is 5 sheets per liter. 200 ml per sheet.

How many sheets went in the drum and how much chemistry did you use??

bob

I don't know about 200 ml per sheet, I constantly develop 6 sheets at a time of TMX 100 in my JOBO tank using a motor base. I always use 290 ml of developer solution; 4.5 ml of HC-110 and 285 ml of water to make dilution H. My negatives have come out great and consistent every time. As far as Tri-X 320, I don't know, I have not tried it yet, but I have 2 unopened packs of TXP that am dying to shoot with and would love to hear more input on this film with HC-110, especially using the JOBO rotary tank.

Bob McCarthy
30-Jul-2010, 06:56
I do 12 sheets per liter in Dil B which is just over the edge of Kodaks recommendation w/o any issues. I always assume Kodak is very conservative with it's recommendations.

Dil H has half of the capacity. Maybe it will work, maybe not. I have no way of knowing, but it appears you playing in a dangerious place.

The time of development still looks short to me. I'm in trays with contimuous development (gentle), and the last batch of 8x10 I did in HC110 dil H was 11 minutes/ Negs look fine.

bob

KenM
30-Jul-2010, 11:07
I develop 4x5 TXP diluting stock 1+16 for 7 minutes, constant agitation first minute, 10s each minute thereafter for N development.

With 1700ml of solution, I'll do 12 negs. My negs are plenty beefy, including the second set.

Bob McCarthy
30-Jul-2010, 11:13
Dil H is 1-64, half the capacity of dil B and a quarter of yours

bob