PDA

View Full Version : Film-Exposure-Development Cheat Sheet

mdm
29-Jun-2010, 01:35
On Sunday, for some reason, perhaps related to the full moon or some distraction, I was overexposing severely. I did not have much hope for the denser negatives but I have scanned them all now and I am loving the look. Since exposure and development is the escence of the craft, I would love to see some examples from your favourite film, exposed and developed however they are.

I can offer my experience with FP4+ in Pyrocat. The ducks were underexposed and developed in standing Pyrocat HD (1:1:150) for my normal time of 36 min with 4 agitation cycles. It is the classic FP4 look, dark and contrasty. The second was metered so the subjects skin got 2 stops more than middle grey, the light was very contrasty but the film coped well. Development was identical except with Pyrocat MC. The last is a very over exposed beach scene in evening light, also in MC. I love the way the shoulder of the film has tamed the contrast.

If I was using TMY I would expect overexposure would produce a very differnt result. The middle image may have had more detail at the extremes, I think. Not shure what it looks like pushed. Well exposed TMax 400 has a very special snappiness.

What do you do with TriX, D76, Hypercat, Portra 160NC, whatever you use?