PDA

View Full Version : Eucalyptus trees California coast

Steve Sherman
27-Jun-2010, 14:31
Looking for groves of Eucalyptus trees in proximity to the California Coast Hwy south of Carmel and north of San Luis Obispo during Sept. 2010

Any suggestions much appreciated

Jim Fitzgerald
27-Jun-2010, 14:48
Steve, try Montana De Oro right out of San Luis Obispo. Head west to Los Osos. There is a great oak forest on the way through so don't miss it and in the park you will find a huge Eucalyptus forest.

Jim

Michael Wynd
27-Jun-2010, 18:55
Steve,
you always go on holidya and come to Australia. We've got a few gum trees here.
Mike

speedfreak
27-Jun-2010, 20:45
I live in Pismo Beach, just down the way from Montana de Oro and will confirm this is the spot your looking for. If your coming during the summer months the mornings will probably be foggy, which adds the perfect mood!

Jeffrey Sipress
27-Jun-2010, 21:03
Prunedale. No kidding. There's a stretch of the 101 that drives through a nice forest of them.

Steve Sherman
28-Jun-2010, 03:54
I live in Pismo Beach, just down the way from Montana de Oro and will confirm this is the spot your looking for. If your coming during the summer months the mornings will probably be foggy, which adds the perfect mood!

Thanks for all the comments, I did plan on stopping for the Ancient Oak trees @ Los Ocas.

I've heard so much about the Oceano dunes and Pismo beach, not sure if it's worth trying to make photographs in that area due to all the ATV's.

Mid September mornings still foggy?

Any thoughts??

Curt Palm
28-Jun-2010, 09:01
Prunedale. No kidding. There's a stretch of the 101 that drives through a nice forest of them.

that's the Eucalyptus grove that is in the Hitchcock movie Vertigo. Jimmy Stewert and friend drive through it on their way to the Mission.

Kevin Crisp
28-Jun-2010, 09:06
What's the name of the state park below Carmel where you park and walk into the beach going through groves of eucalyptus? There is an old cabin in the middle of the trees but I'm blanking on the name right now. Great spot though.

Drew Wiley
28-Jun-2010, 09:12
Kevin - you might be thinking of Julia Pfeiffer Park. Eucalyptus are all over the Calif
coast. Unfortunately, a giant fire hazard.

Kevin Crisp
28-Jun-2010, 09:18
No, it came to me, this one: http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=25208

Andrew Molera

Drew Wiley
28-Jun-2010, 09:21
You might see if that was, or was not, where huge fires were not long ago. I thought
it was mostly back in the Big Sur hills, but at one point it got pretty close to Hwy 1.
Molera is thick with history when it comes to famous shots by the old-timers.