PDA

View Full Version : Paper Cutter?

Jon_2416
25-Jun-2010, 16:14
I've been investigating paper cutters, and I think I've settled on a Rotatrim. Any other recommendation for a rotary-type cutter?

Thanks!

Jon
http://wjw-photo.blogspot.com/

Walter Calahan
25-Jun-2010, 16:52
Rotatrim.

Greg Blank
25-Jun-2010, 17:26
LPL Makes the Media Cut. I have one that does A2 or 24".

I've been investigating paper cutters, and I think I've settled on a Rotatrim. Any other recommendation for a rotary-type cutter?

Thanks!

Jon
http://wjw-photo.blogspot.com/

Jon_2416
26-Jun-2010, 13:54
Hi Walter and Greg,

Thanks for the info--I'm off to B&H tomorrow... have to be careful to only come home with a paper cutter!

Jon

Scott Davis
26-Jun-2010, 14:07
Dahle also makes very nice paper cutters and they're cheaper than Rotatrim.

Brian Ellis
26-Jun-2010, 21:26
I've had a Rotatrim for years. It's a nice cutter but the left-side paper guide isn't perpendicular to the cutting edge. So I can't just position the paper against the guide and cut if I want a straight cut. By eye I have to slightly alter the position of the paper so that it's parallel to the cutting edge. I've lived with it for a long time and it's not a huge deal but it's annoying in an otherwise excellent product.

Roger Thoms
26-Jun-2010, 22:12
RotaTrim, had mine for years and couldn't be happier.

Roger

neil poulsen
26-Jun-2010, 23:17
I picked up a used, older style 24" Rototrim a couple of years ago. I've had good luck with it. My edges all come out perpendicular. As old as mine might be (yellow top), I believe that it takes the same parts as the new ones.

D. Bryant
27-Jun-2010, 07:27

RotaTrim. Don't waste your time with other brands.

Don Bryant

Colin Graham
27-Jun-2010, 07:46
I'll second Dahle, very well made trimmers for the price. I've had mine 7 years now, still has the original blade and I cut a lot of film, FB photo and heavy watercolor paper with it. I don't think they will cut matboard though, if that's a factor.

Most probably already know this trick but a easy way to test a fence is to cut a sheet of paper 4 times, turning the cut edge 90 degrees to register against the fence for the next cut. After the 4th cut set up to re-cut the first edge again. If that edge isn't parallel to the cut line the fence is out.

Filmnut
27-Jun-2010, 08:27
I used a number of Roatatrims over the years, as well as a few other brands, when I did commercial lab printing, and Rotatrims were the best I used. When we closed the lab, I took one for my personal darkroom. It must be 20+ years old, and it has cut thousands of prints, and still works good!
Keith

ac12
27-Jun-2010, 11:01
speaking of trimmers, anyone know where I can get replacement rotary blades for the old Honeywell rotary timmer? I have one and like a dummy did not get replacement blades when Honeywell went under.

Michael Graves
27-Jun-2010, 15:52
I used a number of Roatatrims over the years, as well as a few other brands, when I did commercial lab printing, and Rotatrims were the best I used. When we closed the lab, I took one for my personal darkroom. It must be 20+ years old, and it has cut thousands of prints, and still works good!
Keith

Works well, Keith. Works WELL. All kidding aside, I once purchased a Saunders rotary trimmer because it had a good price. It was a crappy trimmer, but it had a REALLY good price.

I can't tell the difference in quality between the Dahle and the Rototrim, and in my case I got a better price on the Roto. But that was the only deciding factor between the two for me.