PDA

View Full Version : Jobo Time/Temps for FP-4, Tri-X, Delta 100?

badbluesman
25-Jun-2010, 15:34
I am looking for starting times to use for my own processing tests with Jobo Expert drums. I have been processing everything in X-Tol for years and love it, but I can easily extrapolate from D-76 or ID-11 times (other other developers).

Thanks in advance.

Robert Ley
26-Jun-2010, 10:22
Thishttp://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.php is a great source for ballpark times for many developers and films.

Cheers,
Robert

badbluesman
26-Jun-2010, 17:25
That is a very handy chart, but they need to add a third parameter in which you would select "small tank," "large tank," "tray," or "rotary drum."

I just looked up my film-developer combo of the last 15 years: TMY 5x7 at ISO 250 with Xtol 1:1 at 24 degrees Celsius. They give a time of 10 minutes for roll films and do not give a time for sheet film. My sheet film time is 6 minutes for a Zone-perfect negative (when printed on Ilford with a grade 2.5 filter). So if I followed their 10 minute time I would have a very dense N+2 negative! They need to add rotary times to their spreadsheet. Rotary times are generally much shorter than tank or tray times because the agitation is continuous and pretty vigorous.

Allen in Montreal
26-Jun-2010, 18:43
Thishttp://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.php is a great source for ballpark times for many developers and films.

Cheers,
Robert

Has anyone tried their iPhone app, which can be modified to one's personal development times?

Allen in Montreal
26-Jun-2010, 18:43
I am about to test my first box of FP4 too. (Ever, I have never shot the stuff and never thought I would see the day I did, or that I would have so much white in my fridge).

I shot some of the old (purple boxed) PXT tonight, I am down to my last 2 boxes,
that was a great film!
FP4 has a tough act to follow.

I am going to start the FP4 with D-76 1:1 125asa for 10 minutes at 68.
I will let you now how it goes, please post on how you progress with it too.

~~~~~

TXP 5x7 in D-76 1:1 Jobo 3006 at 68 degrees.

I had started to test the newer emulsion and found my N was 7 minutes at 250 asa.
I gave up on trying to buy 5x7 TXP locally and never followed the testing through to plus or minus times.

badbluesman
27-Jun-2010, 21:17
I last tested FP-4 in the early 90s. I wanted to try out the 5x7 format, so drove to Seattle from B.C. and rented a camera from Glazers. I picked up some 5x7 FP-4 because it was what they had in stock. I shot it at ISO 80 as I have found that most films work best with 2/3 stop more exposure than the manufacturer recommends. I did some comparison shots using both 4x5 and 5x7, changing the camera back and lens accordingly. I had the film processed by a Seattle lab using the large tank nitrogen burst method and then enlarged all of the negatives optically to 16x20. I found the quality to be superb in every way: tonality, sharpness, and grain (which was virtually invisible). The tones were as smooth as the proverbial baby's behind. I decided that FP-4 was a beautiful film, even though, at the time, it was more convenient for me to keep shooting a combination of T-Max 100 and T-Max 400 because they can be processed together and have a similar tonal quality. Now Ilford's lower prices have revived my interest in shooting FP-4.

Bill_4606
28-Jun-2010, 03:02
For every 10 people that answers your question, You'll probably get 12 answers ;-)

Here are the times I use for both a single and double reel tank:
FP-4 4x5 rated at IE 80, 68 degrees, slowest rotation speed, on Jobo CPA.
Stock D76 except for N--
Times are in minutes
N++ 18
N+ 13
N 10
N- 8
N-- 8 (1:1)

Good luck with your calibration -- Bill

JON BUTLER
28-Jun-2010, 07:15
Has anyone tried their iPhone app, which can be modified to one's personal development times?

Yes I use their App with all my times and and data programmed in and saved.
It's the best process timer I've ever used, used it since it came out, I wrap the phone in cling film when when using it in the darkroom.
JON

badbluesman
30-Jun-2010, 14:49
Thanks, Bill. Those look like good times. I can extrapolate for my Xtol developer and higher temp, etc.

Anyone have times for Tri-X in a Jobo? How about Delta 100?