PDA

View Full Version : film holder for Technika

pacopaco
24-Jun-2010, 16:25
hello

im new to this site, and to LF. so hello
i have a Linhof Technika 70 with different backs, including groundglass.
question: what kind of film holders can i use ?
does it have to be linhofs or is there a standart for these things?
and where can i find those?
thanks

Jay Wolfe
24-Jun-2010, 17:15
Linhofs are the best. I would get those. Don't listen to those who recommend Fidelity or Lisco. They are poor substitutes.

rknewcomb
24-Jun-2010, 17:42
For shooting sheet film you can get the Linhof brand which are indeed nice. They are much harder to find and more expensive. Note that Linhof sheet film holders come in two IMAGE sizes for these cameras, 6.5x9cm and 2 1/4 x 3 1/4inches. They are not the same image size and they use different sizes of film. The outsides of the holders are the same size. Linhof also made earlier holders that I think are called "universal" - they shoot plates or film. When you look at them they are thicker and have a "funny" looking hinge arrangement on one end.
When you consider how many beautiful and powerful images have been shot using Fidelity film holders, I don't think that they will be what limits your images.
For roll film you need the Linhof Super Rollex holders.

Don Dudenbostel
24-Jun-2010, 19:09
The Technika 70 is a great camera. I had one in the 70's and sold it to get a 4x5 Master Technika that I used for location commercial work for thirty years. I recently purchased a Technika V 2x3 which is the same camera as the 70 minus the RF. Im a master commercial photographer and have shot professionally for 43 years and never even seen a Linhof sheet film holder much less shot with one. I can only say that not using Linhof holders has never degraded my work or caused me to screw up a job or caused the loss of a client.

On the other hand there is only one brand of roll holders that work on the 2x3 models. Linhof makes two types of roll backs. One slips in the spring back like a film holder and is very nice but I've only seen one used and new they run around $1500. The other is the Super Rollex which replaces the GG back assembly via a lever on the lower right side of the GG and back assy. These are built like a tank and cost around $2500 new but can be found used on occasion. I just purchased a 6x9 version and have two 6x7 versions that I will be selling one of the 6x7's (much cheaper than new). PM if you are interested and I will email pix. Roll film for me is the way to go with bout the same film area as sheet film and roll film offers a much broader selection of emulsions not to mention much easier to process

al olson
24-Jun-2010, 19:53
hello

im new to this site, and to LF. so hello
i have a Linhof Technika 70 with different backs, including groundglass.
question: what kind of film holders can i use ?
does it have to be linhofs or is there a standart for these things?
and where can i find those?
thanks

My book, Linhof Practice, Fourth Edition, 1963, pp 28-38, describes the features and gives instructions for the Technika 70.

As far as film accessories go it lists:

1. Super cut film double holders with the spring back. [I use regular holders with my Super Technika.]

2. Super Rollex 120 roll film back (10 exp.).

3. Linhof Cine Rollex back (50 exp.) for perforated 70mm film. [I have never seen one of these and I don't know if there is any film available for them.]

4. Polaroid Land Camera roll film back. [No film available.]

I also have two 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 Grafmatics that I can slide under under the spring-loaded back of my Super Technika. These are very handy.

I would say that for starting out there should still be double-sided film holders available on the used market. Make sure they are 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 and not 6x9. These would be your best immediate choice. However, only B&W is available in sheet film. Check Freestyle, which carries a good selection.

The Super Rollex 120 holders should also be available. You will need one of these if you wish to shoot color. There is an early Rollex version that is a knob wind. The later ones are a lever wind.

The Grafmatics are a little more difficult to find but they are around, you may have to wait awhile for one to show up.

For used holders check ebay and craigs list.

Bob Salomon
25-Jun-2010, 01:05
We have some demo roll backs and accessories for the 23 Linhofs for sale on our Factory store. These are either show samples or discontinued models. You can see them at www.hpmarketingcorp.com. All carry a new Linhof warranty.

pacopaco
27-Jun-2010, 04:58
thanks for the replies

i must add, i have the 6x7 and 6x9 backs which i have used with the camera.
now i'd like to try 4x5 format. The Linhof original holders may be to expensive for now.
i understand that i can use fidelity holders like these(?):
http://www.keh.com/camera/Large-Format-Back-and-Magazine-Accessories/1/sku-LF129990295220?r=FE
i intend to shoot color negatives.

don: the Technika 70 is lovely, but its rangefinder is out of focus, is there any way to fix it myself?

Bob Salomon
27-Jun-2010, 05:31
thanks for the replies

i must add, i have the 6x7 and 6x9 backs which i have used with the camera.
now i'd like to try 4x5 format. The Linhof original holders may be to expensive for now.
i understand that i can use fidelity holders like these(?):
http://www.keh.com/camera/Large-Format-Back-and-Magazine-Accessories/1/sku-LF129990295220?r=FE
i intend to shoot color negatives.

don: the Technika 70 is lovely, but its rangefinder is out of focus, is there any way to fix it myself?

Is your cam properly cut for your specific camera and lenses by serial number and have the serial numbers stamped on the top and bottom of the cam?

Don Dudenbostel
27-Jun-2010, 06:27
Bob is the tan super rollex mechanically the same as the later black version?

Bob Salomon
27-Jun-2010, 07:38
Bob is the tan super rollex mechanically the same as the later black version?

Not necessarily, there are different winding levers and you have to make sure that the old ones have been properly modified for later roll film spool diameters so you get proper spacing. Nothing that has been available as long as a Super Rollex doesn't have changes over its lifetime.