PDA

View Full Version : Joshua Tree / Salton Sea

rjphil
23-Jun-2010, 11:05
HI All -
I'm going to be in Southern CA for a week in early July and am thinking of going out to Joshua Tree or the Salton Sea area for a couple of days. I know that this time of year is hot out there, is there anything else I should be aware of? Also, any areas I should concentrate on? Thanks very much!

Drew Wiley
23-Jun-2010, 11:31
Joshua Tree is high desert. The Salton Sea is low desert and hot is an understatement. It can be fatal hot for some people, like 120F or above. Think twice.

bvstaples
23-Jun-2010, 11:42
I live in Southern Cal and shoot in both places. While the Salton Sea has many interesting photo opportunities, I think your time will be better spent in Joshua Tree. And it won't be quite as hot (105 versus 120...hehehe!).

Just my dos centavos...

Brian

Eric Woodbury
23-Jun-2010, 12:20
I find Bombay Beach interesting. And depending on your tastes, Salvation Mtn might be interesting.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2042

Temperatures at Bombay Beach are running high 90s/mid 70s this week. Joshua Tree is only a little better in the day and 60s at night. Be ready for wind.

Here is the best weather site:
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Bombay+Beach&state=CA&site=PSR&textField1=33.3508&textField2=-115.729&e=0

Anza Borrego is out there, too.

You should start before dawn and plan on a long siesta -- a beer, a date shake, a gallon of water -- whatever does it for you. Get a long sleeved white shirt for sun protection. And don't forget to protect you film. Have fun.

Jan Pedersen
23-Jun-2010, 12:22
In addition to high temperatures you will also have to deal with the wind. Almost always windy in the Desert during the summer. Plan on being out very early in the morning and if you can, bring a smaller camera that is less of a problem if the wind forces you to stop shooting LF.

AgentX
23-Jun-2010, 12:31
The "Wonderland of Rocks" area. in Joshua Tree is amazing. Tons of great hikes and some historical stuff in the park as a whole. I once hiked there over July 4 weekend, but it was brutal. Totally survivable if you're conditioned and prepared, but you should be sure before you set off on anything significant. Plenty of stuff near the road to photograph too.

JT will give you classic, Dr. Suess-y landscapes to photograph. Salton Sea will likely give you a David Lynch vision of human and environmental blight. Pick your poison.

rjphil
23-Jun-2010, 12:56
Thanks for the information everyone! Now I just have to decide about format (probably 4x5), film, shipping ahead, etc, etc. If I do make it out there, I'll post results. If you don't hear from me, I'll be the dessicated skeleton clutching the tripod leg........:D

jeroldharter
23-Jun-2010, 14:11
I would wait about 6 months for that area to cool off and go up north for the week instead. I have been camping in Salton Sea/Joshua Tree in July and it was miserable. Never again. I certainly would not want to get under a darkcloth in that heat either, especially if this is for fun.

Brian Ellis
23-Jun-2010, 16:09
Thanks for the information everyone! Now I just have to decide about format (probably 4x5), film, shipping ahead, etc, etc. If I do make it out there, I'll post results. If you don't hear from me, I'll be the dessicated skeleton clutching the tripod leg........:D

You might want to give some thought to what it's like under a dark cloth when the heat is over 100 degrees and the wind is blowing before making a final decision.

brianam
23-Jun-2010, 16:18
I love the southern California deserts, but as others have said, this ain't the best time to venture out there. And even though JTNP is at elevation (3500-4000ft?), it's still toasty in mid-summer.
Instead, I'd recommend looking over your maps and navigating the transition zone between desert and mountains. I love that transition between desert flora and the dry-mountain pines.
There are several great US Forest service roads that bring you up the back way from the high desert (Lucerne Valley) into the San Bernardino mountains. probably a 3000 ft climb. 4x4 potentially required, check with the ranger stations.

well, that's what I'd do anyway. :)

EdWorkman
23-Jun-2010, 18:53
It's not hot, it's REALLY HOT, and the light now, for me anyways, is horridly overhead too much of the day. But you gotta take advantage of the opportunities, so go for it and seriously protect yourself from frying. The added humidity of Salton Sea vs Joshua tree may be the difference between un- and bearable. As others have said October and February are [ my preference] the best combination of sun angle and clear skies.

Frank Petronio
23-Jun-2010, 19:53
Don't be a wimp. The Northeastern side of the Salton Sea has the most f-up ruins to shoot and they are a lot of fun to explore.

patrickjames
23-Jun-2010, 21:13
I have spent tons of time in the deserts of SoCal exploring every nook and cranny in the last decade. If you are going to those two places you might also want to explore Anza, which is just west of the Salton Sea. It is a beautiful place. There is also the Imperial Dune field, which can be really beautiful, which is just south of the SS. There was an old abandoned army air force base on the west coast of the SS that was really interesting, but after 9/11 I went there and there were a couple of black SUV's at the gate. Needless to say I haven't been back but who knows what it is like now. The SS though has been done to death and isn't interesting like it used to be. All in all there are a ton of things to photograph in the area. Feel free to email me if you would like some more suggestions.

By the way, heat is very dangerous. If you are not in good shape, stay near your car. If you are hiking and start to get dizzy and short of breath you are f****d. As long as you are in shape you should be fine. Just drink lots of water and make sure your car has AC. :)

Michael Cienfuegos
24-Jun-2010, 10:24
The heat can be brutal and unforgiving. You need plenty of water. Even the lizards and other critters are out of the sun during the day. The Salton Sea is really a neat place, with the ruins of recent civilization (1960's failed developments, etc.). I would take the advice of those who say wait until it is cooler.

Jim Galli
24-Jun-2010, 11:48
http://www.masters-of-photography.com/images/full/weston/weston_dead_man.jpg

A picture Edward Weston did in the region. Heat.

Stephane
24-Jun-2010, 14:04
Salton Sea is a very interesting place, just like any desert. It is geologically active, with mud pots and small mud volcanoes. Salvation mountain is quite a site too... You have abandoned city, sometimes thousands of dead fish dried out on the shore, some crazy trees surrounded my deep mud crack, the state prison. I have been to Calipatria few times and stayed at the "Beautiful Calipatria Inn". What a name! and like you hear here, everybody goes to Joshua tree, so why not somewhere different and very unusual?

Terry Hayden
24-Jun-2010, 16:06
R.J.-
If this is the only time you can be there, and you have a very high heat tolerance ( not like those Ct. humid heat days - more like searing heat days ) than you should give Salton Sea a shot.
I was there a month or so ago - yes wind is a big deal, but early morning ( pre sunrise) it's pretty calm. After that you just have to stabilize the rig as much as possible.
If you do go - head east out of Niland to experience Salvation Mountain. Even for an heathen like me Leonard Knights creation is amazingly impressive - as is his personality ( genuinely friendly and open ).
Unfortunately Bombay Beach is a shadow of it's past "beautiful decay". Much of it has been vandalized or blown away.
The northern coast former Yacht Club has been rebuild and refurbished - so it's not the hallmark of failure it once was ( but the locals are relieved ).
Yes - I to am a veteran of staying at the "Beautiful Calipatria Inn" - it is anything
but beautiful in the rooms.
The south end of the sea has some interesting alkali buildup/ dead tree/dry basin type scenes that are worth working on.

Big deal, as has been mentioned - lots of water ( and sunscreen ).

Jan Pietrzak
24-Jun-2010, 16:30
Ed, and all

Are you talking about things that look like this.

Jan Pietrzak

brianam
24-Jun-2010, 17:39
And if you find yourself along 78 at Ocotillo Wells, or east of Brawley/ SE of Salton, be aware also of one other interesting phenomenon out there: the rabid, drunken hordes of offroaders that congregate at the sand dunes. Thousands of them...especially on holiday weekends.

One particular weekend (Easter 2006?) I was passing through on a photo trip and the sky in the area was dark from so much sand and dust the dirtbikes and ATVs kick up into the air. An ambulance passed by me in the murk, presumably carrying another wounded thrill-seeker.

OTOH, the *North* Algodones Dunes is a declared wilderness area, and it's lovely; if less dramatic than the taller dunes found in DVNP.

Eric Woodbury
24-Jun-2010, 18:00
Jan, that must be 20 years ago. It's in too good of shape.

Jan Pietrzak
24-Jun-2010, 18:45
Eric,

That's about right, my be more??? Yea, I guess that it is 2010.

Jan Pietrzak

ps the last photo of that trailer looked real bad.

AgentX
24-Jun-2010, 23:03
There's a ghost town north of 29 Palms, over Lead Mountain and beyond, (forget the name) that has enormous inexplicable sand dunes rising out of the rocky high desert. Really surreal.

And don't forget Amboy, population 18, on the way there.

robertojoven
10-Jul-2010, 12:57
I don't know if you have left already, but I wanted to throw in my two cents regardless.

As others have said, the Salton Sea is incredibly hot. I was just there over the 4th of July weekend with my 4x5 and the underside of the darkcloth is hellish. However, I must have a high tolerance for heat (or was so consumed/enthused with the area that I didn't notice).

I would highly reccomend Bombay Beach, Niland, the North Shore, and Salvation Mountain/Slab City.

It was my first time and I absolutely fell in love. Joshua Tree is great as well, but completely different subject matter. Like another poster said, it's Dr. Seuss vs. David Lynch.

rjphil
12-Jul-2010, 08:06
I didn't make it out there this trip. Stayed close to the coast - did some work around Temecula (not LF), and some funky architecture shots - what's left of it anyway.
Have to plan an actual LF excursion.......