PDA

View Full Version : Large format shops in Berlin

Per Madsen
22-Jun-2010, 23:45
I am going to Berlin this summer.

Are there any shops selling large format in Berlin besides FotoImpex ?

:confused:

77seriesiii
24-Jun-2010, 03:35
This shop is not in Berlin but they do deliver very fast so if you are in a hotel for more than 2-3 days, it will be on your doorstep.

http://www.macodirect.de/index.php

the prices are very close to FotoImpex. Any photography store in Germany can order film and it is more expensive than US (if that is where you live) but you can get it here or have it developed before you go home. Developed color 4x5 will run around 3-4 euros/sheet, E-6 will cost more. not sure about B&W as I develop that at home.

both Foto and Maco take International CC and PayPal but most stores it will be hit or miss if they take anything other than the EC. Even though the EC symbol looks very much like the Mastercard logo...it isnt the same so plan money accordingly. Money can be pulled out of most ATMs IF you have a major bank ATM. DO NOT do what my parents have done with the last 2 visits. They have a small community bank (didnt know they existed anymore) and expected to use their ATM card. They even asked me to take it into the bank teller and have them pull money out. Of course, me being me, I did it just so I could see the look on the tellers face when i asked. Priceless! :D

Good luck and have fun shooting.

./e

Per Madsen
24-Jun-2010, 07:56
both Foto and Maco take International CC and PayPal but most stores it will be hit or miss if they take anything other than the EC. Even though the EC symbol looks very much like the Mastercard logo...it isnt the same so plan money accordingly. Money can be pulled out of most ATMs IF you have a major bank ATM. DO NOT do what my parents have done with the last 2 visits. They have a small community bank (didnt know they existed anymore) and expected to use their ATM card. They even asked me to take it into the bank teller and have them pull money out. Of course, me being me, I did it just so I could see the look on the tellers face when i asked. Priceless! :D

Good luck and have fun shooting.

I know. A lot of the germans still prefer cash and distrust creditcards.

77seriesiii
27-Jun-2010, 03:53
ahh Denmark, then you definitely know the German aversion towards CCs. If you live that close and you know the hotel you will be staying at, buy the film and have it shipped to the hotel. I've done that when in a hotel in the US and didnt want to carry the film on a plane, just call the hotel before doing it and warn them.

./e

georg s
27-Jun-2010, 14:26
„Monochrom“ and Calumet have shops in Berlin. I don't know what they have on display, though.

Ulrich Drolshagen
28-Jun-2010, 00:28
Fotoimpex (http://www.fotoimpex.de/)
Alte Schönhauserstrasse 32B
10119 Berlin
Tel: +49-30-28599473

Shop hours
Monday to Saturday 12.00 am - 8.00 pm

Alte Schönhauserstraße is near Hackescher Markt. There is an ensemble of buildings called Hackesche Höfe which are a must for a Berlin visitor. Monochrom is not far from there too.

Monochrom (http://www.monochrom.com)
Ackerstr.23 – 26
10115 Berlin (Mitte)
Tel. +49-30-24632050

Monday to Friday 12.00 am - 7.30 pm
Saturday 10.30 am bis 18.00 pm

Ulrich Drolshagen
28-Jun-2010, 12:01
I know. A lot of the germans still prefer cash and distrust creditcards.
I think it's not about distrust. Dealing with credit card companies is extremely expensive for German retailers. AFAIK the companies charge about 3% of the transaction volume. In many cases it is as much as the return on sales. In Germany nearly every shop has a point of sales-terminal. You can simply use your EC-card for payment and the money is transfered nearly instantly to the account of the shop. Smaller shoppings are then payed with cash. So we indeed stick with cash for convenience.

Ulrich

Per Madsen
28-Jun-2010, 23:03
I think it's not about distrust. Dealing with credit card companies is extremely expensive for German retailers. AFAIK the companies charge about 3% of the transaction volume. In many cases it is as much as the return on sales. In Germany nearly every shop has a point of sales-terminal. You can simply use your EC-card for payment and the money is transfered nearly instantly to the account of the shop. Smaller shoppings are then payed with cash. So we indeed stick with cash for convenience.

Ulrich

Actualy the danes have a equalient system in the "Dankort" system, but the Dankort is not usable outside Denmark. The EC card system is only used in Germany as far as I know.

Arne Croell
28-Jun-2010, 23:17
Actualy the danes have a equalient system in the "Dankort" system, but the Dankort is not usable outside Denmark. The EC card system is only used in Germany as far as I know.
I've used my German EC card in France, Sweden, and Switzerland. You can at least use it to get cash at a teller machine.

Ulrich Drolshagen
29-Jun-2010, 00:34
I've used my German EC card in France, Sweden, and Switzerland. You can at least use it to get cash at a teller machine.

Additionally I've used it in The Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, Denmark, Norway and UK at cash machines. For some reason the POS-Terminals in shops and gas stations mostly don't seem to work with foreign cards.

Ulrich