PDA

View Full Version : Linhof 270mm Tele Arton shutter repair?

anglophone1
22-Jun-2010, 05:51
Hi Guys
I recently bought a Linhof master 4 outfit from another LFFer.
Lenses are 75mm, 150mm and 270mm [last two cammed].
When the 270mm Tele-Arton arrived it was claer thathe small nipple where you screw the cable release into the shutter had been broken in the post, seemed like a simple repair so I sent it direct to Munich [I'm in France]
They just called me and explained that they had no parts for the shutter and were unable to repair, in other words it's useless.
However shutter works fine with the little release lever so it is really only the cable release socket..................
Anyone have any thoughts on alternative solutions/creative repair shops/ replacement shutter unit [what shutter is it?] or worst possible case scenario have a replacement 270mm Tele Arton going cheap??
Thanks
Clive
www.clive-evans.com
Antibes, France

Don Dudenbostel
22-Jun-2010, 06:05
Is it in a compur 1? If so you can replace the entire shutter with a copal 1 and get a replacement scale from s k grimes. They may also be able to repair it.

anglophone1
22-Jun-2010, 06:32
Don
Its definitely a syncro-compur but I don't know which, it'll be on way back to me from Linhof in Munich shortly.
Clive
www.clive-evans.com
Antibes, France

Philippe Grunchec
22-Jun-2010, 08:40
May be you should have sent it to Schneider and not to Linhof...
Anyway, I'm sure that Maël Bilquey (in Limoges) could do something for you!

anglophone1
22-Jun-2010, 09:03
Philippe
Good point re Schneider vs. Linhof service although as its actually a shutter spare required, so who knows?
I know not of Mael Bliquey in Limoges, I'm guessing just what I need ,a repair wizard in France [there was great guy here in Nice but he has closed]
Do you have an email address or if no, a phone number?
Thanks
Clive
www.clive-evans.com
Antibes, France

Philippe Grunchec
22-Jun-2010, 09:16
http://www.photo-technique.com/

4, rue Jean-Jaurès 87000 Limoges

Vous pouvez l'appeler de ma part.

Paul Ewins
22-Jun-2010, 17:57
Early Tele-Artons were in a Compur II/5 - the same size as the Symmar 240/5.6 and Xenotar 150/2.8. Later catalogs (mid 60s onwards) show them as being in a Copal 1.

At a guess it would be the Compur II, since parts for a Copal 1 should be readily available. If it is a Compur II then your best bet is to find a 240/5.6 Symmar (not Symmar-s) and use the shutter from that. The Symmar will either have a Compur II or a Copal/Compur/Prontor 3 with adapters to fit the smaller threads.

Normally swapping a shutter would be an expensive fix, but if it is just the cable release broken then you can probably swap the cells (and aperture scales) between the shutters and then resell the donor at a small loss.

anglophone1
24-Jun-2010, 16:06
Great advice here guys, although I hve to say that buying another lens/shutter, using the shutter assembly and then selling remining cells sounds like a diffrent version of wehere I am , ie who needs a lens with a shutter than can't work with cable release?
Sorry to be dim, am I missing something?
Clive
www.clive-evans,com
Antibes,France

JRFrench
24-Jun-2010, 17:15
I would buy that lens (presumably cheaper than a 100% one), then make a replacement part :)

Bill_1856
24-Jun-2010, 17:57
The Compur II shutter is a nightmare to use because there is no press-focus mechanism -- it's got to be set to "T" to focus and then rotated back to the taking speed. The Linhof version has a faceplate which makes it inconvenient to move the shutter speed dial.

Don Dudenbostel
24-Jun-2010, 18:49
Schneider Century Optical in California repairs compur if they have parts,copal and prontor. I had them replace a copal 0 on my damaged 121SA and discussed repairs on shutters just a couple of weeks ago. If the shutter is a #2 you may have to buy a junker lens in a #2 and use the shutter as a replacement. If its a #1 then it can be replaced with a modern Copal an Schneider in Cal. can make a new aperture scale. Don't get discouraged as Tele Artons are very good. I've owned the 360 and currently have a 180 that I like very much.

anglophone1
2-Jul-2010, 06:40
Just got lens back from Linhof and sent it straight to Jean Mael who said on the phone just now that it should be a fairly simple repair........
Thanks!!!
Clive

http://www.photo-technique.com/

4, rue Jean-Jaurès 87000 Limoges

Vous pouvez l'appeler de ma part.

Philippe Grunchec
2-Jul-2010, 12:17
Glad to ear that!