PDA

View Full Version : Quickloads in the freezer

rdenney
21-Jun-2010, 12:37
Okay, maybe I have screwed up.

I have bought a good-sized (for me) stock of Quickload films, and put them in a chest freezer for long-term storage. I have not used Quickload before, and I haven't used film out of any of these boxes. I had assumed Fuji put the QL sleeves in a foil or plastic envelope, the way Polaroid used to do with sheet film (and the way everyone has done with regular sheet film). It occurs to me that perhaps I assumed wrongly, which leaves me the question of how to prevent moisture damage when I pull them out of the freezer.

Does Fuji put Quickload film in an airtight envelope inside the box?

I'm asking so that if the boxes are not sealed internally, I can try to think of a way to keep them dry while they warm up.

Rick "new to cold storage of sheet film" Denney

bdkphoto
21-Jun-2010, 12:40
Okay, maybe I have screwed up.

I have bought a good-sized (for me) stock of Quickload films, and put them in a chest freezer for long-term storage. I have not used Quickload before, and I haven't used film out of any of these boxes. I had assumed Fuji put the QL sleeves in a foil or plastic envelope, the way Polaroid used to do with sheet film (and the way everyone has done with regular sheet film). It occurs to me that perhaps I assumed wrongly, which leaves me the question of how to prevent moisture damage when I pull them out of the freezer.

Does Fuji put Quickload film in an airtight envelope inside the box?

I'm asking so that if the boxes are not sealed internally, I can try to think of a way to keep them dry while they warm up.

Rick "new to cold storage of sheet film" Denney

IIRC the film is sealed in foil packets. just bring up to room temp - let stabilize and go to town

rdenney
21-Jun-2010, 12:48
IIRC the film is sealed in foil packets. just bring up to room temp - let stabilize and go to town

Thanks.

Rick "relieved" Denney

Sal Santamaura
21-Jun-2010, 14:36
Yes, they're in sealed foil so you won't have a moisture problem. However, I'll be interested to hear about your film results in the future.

A friend of mine took the same action when film packs were discontinued. The paper in those packs was apparently not acid free. Using his film years later, negatives exhibited lots of pinholes when developed. Hopefully Fuji's black Quickload sleeves are less hostile to film...

Nathan Potter
21-Jun-2010, 14:56
The Fuji Quickloads are sealed in the ubiquitous silver inner envelopes, but that they are hermetic is an assumption. I think that they are mostly near hermetic but I've had a couple that when warmed to room temperature have shown water droplets on the inside of the silver wrapper. Film from those sleeves showed no adverse effects though. Now I warm my QLs up inside of a plastic baggy for a bit of insurance - especially during hot, humid TX summers.

Hmmmm, maybe I've found out why I've lost bids on QLs over the past year.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Kirk Keyes
21-Jun-2010, 16:52
nathan -

There's water, of course, in the emulsion of the film. So that could be the source of the water droplets you've seen.

They look pretty well sealed to me as when I've taken them to several thousand feet in altitude, they bags puff up from the internal air pressure trying to equilibrate with the ambient air pressure.

I've had color Quickloads in the freezer for years and not had problems. Ones that I had out at ambient room temp have turned magenta after about 4 years.

rdenney
21-Jun-2010, 18:15
Hmmmm, maybe I've found out why I've lost bids on QLs over the past year.

Not because of me--I've been buying them new, or as new old stock only mildly out of date. I have a dozen or so boxes, which for me is quite a bit. At my current rate of consumption, they ought to last about 173 years.

Rick "who hopes to use it up a bit quicker than current consumption" Denney

rdenney
21-Jun-2010, 18:17
I've had color Quickloads in the freezer for years and not had problems. Ones that I had out at ambient room temp have turned magenta after about 4 years.

You guys have reassured me wonderfully, and I appreciate it.

Rick "on to the next spontaneous night terror" Denney

Kirk Keyes
21-Jun-2010, 21:07
Did I mention I have $1000 of Provia Quickloads that I bought this year in the freezer?

rdenney
21-Jun-2010, 21:16
Did I mention I have $1000 of Provia Quickloads that I bought this year in the freezer?

Wow! 517 years' worth!

Rick "impressed" Denney

Kirk Keyes
22-Jun-2010, 13:47
I wish I could get it to last that long!