PDA

View Full Version : Dialing In Shadow Detail w/ a Chromira Print

Peter York
19-Jun-2010, 12:38
Hi all,

I have only made 2 color prints from a local lab using a Chromira and Fuji Crystal Archive paper (one glossy, one matte). Overall, I am quite pleased with the prints, yet the shadow detail in both prints needs some adjustment, as dark areas transition to black too quickly. I did soft proof the image using the papers' icc profiles, and I am assuming that the problem is the translation from what I see on my monitor (calibrated)/histogram to what I am seeing in the print.

I was thinking about running a test strip through the Chromira to see how the low and high ends of a 0-255 histogram translate into print values, say 0-35 and 235-255. My thinking is that this will allow me to identify at what levels the file transitions to black or white, as well as how rapid the transition is. Before doing so, though, I wanted to run this by the experts here for any comments and advice. If this is a sound methodology, should I be concerned with color in the test strip, or will a grayscale strip suffice?

Thanks.

bob carnie
19-Jun-2010, 13:51
Hi Peter

I have a lambda which is basically same technology,*Lambda/Lightjet laser, Chromira LED* different papers will have slightly different aim points.

Lustre or matte papers
L channel readings for highlight with detail should be around 93-95
shadow with detail should be around 4-7

If you read this on your numbers then you should have a great range, everything between will fall where you place it.

Fuji Flex , Harmon Fibre papers have a slightly larger range.

I do not read RGB values but prefer LAB
If you are not familiar with LAB then on your info palette set one to RGB and one to LAB so you can read the values.
hope this helps

Peter York
20-Jun-2010, 14:49
Thanks Bob! I wanted some expert advice and I certainly got it (from Elevator).