PDA

View Full Version : New Camera

archer
18-Jun-2010, 02:48
With many thanks to Lachlan for his input in the design of and his review of the new Shen Hoa XPO 45, I ordered and just received my new Shen Hoa XPO45 A. It is a remarkable camera and the fit and finish of the camera are the equal of any camera at more than twice its price. The controls are precise and smooth with an assuring click detent on both front standard swing and tilt. When fully extended, the camera locks rock solid with absolutely no movement. The ability to gear focus with either the back or front standard is an absolute joy and very smooth. The rise, swing and tilt of the back, lock in position solidly as do all the movements of the front standard and are quick and effortless. The removal of the beautiful bellows is absolute simplicity and the fact that I can use almost all of my Sinar P accessories makes this camera the height of versatility in a 4X5 field camera.
As is my anal retentive bent, the first thing I did when the camera arrived, was to check the ground glass focus plane against a loaded film holder and amazingly the digital readings on my micrometer were within .002 mm which is even better than my Linhof Tech V. The quality of the camera in person is noticeably better than the pictures on the Badger Graphics web site and I thought they were great. The only part of the camera, I would describe as merely adequate, is the ground glass, which is much like other Chinese cameras, good but not in keeping with the quality of this camera. Thanks again to Lachlan, for introducing me to this beautiful instrument.
Denise Libby

Lachlan 717
18-Jun-2010, 03:12
It's been a pleasure being part of your journey to get this camera!

I actually spent about 2 hours today really getting to know the camera. I received a new-to-me Fujinon 210mm W today (mint; $150 from eBay!!!!!), so decided to see how it imaged on the GG. Got caught up in the moment, and seemed to go through all the lenses.

What a camera!!!

Works so well with the Sinar shutter.

And, Denise, you should see it with the Schneider 72mm and bag bellows! Can't wait to ping off some Efke 25 with it tomorrow.

Hope that you end up enjoying it as much as do.

archer
24-Jun-2010, 01:00
I had considered purchasing the folding focusing hood for my new XPO45A, but it was too similar to the one on my Speed Graphic and I have always found it too shallow so I made one that is very similar to the hinged hood I showed in another thread for my old field camera. This hood fits just around the ground glass and doesn't need to be hinged. The hood can be partially inverted to half its length for using a loupe over the entire GG and when folded can be left permanently on the camera where it also acts as a GG protector. It is attached with adhesive backed Velcro so no modifications to the camera are necessary. The ability to use the back fully extended or shortened allows me to use glasses for normal vision or 6X reading glasses in lieu of the loupe if desired and the total light blocking really makes focusing easier and no dark cloth to mess my hair.
Denise Libby

evan clarke
24-Jun-2010, 08:41
Hi Denise,
The best part is NO folding and unfolding, plop it on the tripod and you're ready to go!!..Evan Clarke

cdholden
24-Jun-2010, 08:45
The only part of the camera, I would describe as merely adequate, is the ground glass, which is much like other Chinese cameras, good but not in keeping with the quality of this camera. Thanks again to Lachlan, for introducing me to this beautiful instrument.
Denise Libby

Glass is cheap to replace.

archer
24-Jun-2010, 23:38
Evan; you are absolutely right. I really never considered a non folding field camera before this one, as the bellows draw, was so limited but with the XPO, that is no longer a problem and the camera is very RIGID when completely extended and when I pack the camera, it is only about an inch thicker than a folding camera and I can pack it away with my 90mm Super Angulon attached by simply reversing the lens board and using the rear lens cap and that saves 1/2 an inch. When a person reaches a certain age, you look for anything that saves time and effort. After using the GG now for the last week and with the inclusion of a new Fresnel, I don't think the GG presents any particular problem but I still ordered one of Steve's GG's and will install that when it comes. Now all I need, is some time from an unrelenting schedule. I want to actually shoot some film.
Denise Libby

Roger Thoms
25-Jun-2010, 12:21
The removal of the beautiful bellows is absolute simplicity and the fact that I can use almost all of my Sinar P accessories makes this camera the height of versatility in a 4X5 field camera.

Sounds like a very nice camera. As far as Sinar accessories does it take Sinar lens boards, bellows and reflex viewing housing? If so that would be a big plus since I'm a Sinar owner.

Roger

Ken Lee
25-Jun-2010, 12:56
Congratulations !

Lachlan 717
25-Jun-2010, 15:19
Sounds like a very nice camera. As far as Sinar accessories does it take Sinar lens boards, bellows and reflex viewing housing? If so that would be a big plus since I'm a Sinar owner.

Roger

Boards? Yes.

Bellows? Yes.

Reflex Viewer? No; the back's still all Shen Hao.

Roger Thoms
26-Jun-2010, 12:09
Thanks for the info, just the boards and bellows is fantastic. Just what I needed is a new camera to lust after.

Roger

Lachlan 717
26-Jun-2010, 14:32
Thanks for the info, just the boards and bellows is fantastic. Just what I needed is a new camera to lust after.

Roger

Don't forget the Auto Shutters from Sinar - the whole reason for getting this camera designed and built in the first place!!

Lachlan 717
29-Jun-2010, 21:38
Denise,

Might as well pick your brain a bit more:

How do you carry your camera?

(PS,

The Fresnel is due any day…)

archer
29-Jun-2010, 23:54
Boy, what a timely question. After looking for the perfect camera bag and not finding anything I liked under $150, I just finished making a quilted camera bag to fit in my Tamrac LF equipment case and just have the top to finish. If you or your wife can sew, it's not too difficult. The material can be bought at most well stocked fabric stores. For impact protection, I inserted some heavy Buckram sheet between the liner and the quilting. When I finish the top I'll take some pictures. I've decided to make a ground glass with a clear 12mm center spot, with black widow web cross hair, to use for aerial focusing in macro and copy work. It seems that this knee injury is giving me all the excuses I'll ever need to do all the little projects I've put off for years but it sure isn't a substitute for burning some film and running around the darkroom.
Denise Libby

archer
9-Jul-2010, 01:50
Dear Lachlan;
here are some pictures of the Day Bag I made for the XPO. The guy that taught me to print when I got my first studio job, was a Japanese American who fought in Italy during WWll and he took a very similar bag off a German prisoner. I borrowed that bag many times and really liked the setup so I copied it as well as I could remember. There is even a little room for a couple of film holders in the top lid.
Denise libby

Lachlan 717
9-Jul-2010, 02:30
Dear Lachlan;
here are some pictures of the Day Bag I made for the XPO. The guy that taught me to print when I got my first studio job, was a Japanese American who fought in Italy during WWll and he took a very similar bag off a German prisoner. I borrowed that bag many times and really liked the setup so I copied it as well as I could remember. There is even a little room for a couple of film holders in the top lid.
Denise libby

Awesome, Denise!

That in crocodile skin would do just fine.

Lars Daniel
9-Jul-2010, 03:33
Cool, Denise! It does look german (except for the material ;-)). It reminds me of my laptop bag:
http://blog.thompsonryan.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/bag.jpg
A Berlin company makes these in leather, inspired by old military bags, so I am sure they have some genes in common with yours.

BTW what make is that nice compendium of yours? Does it take filters also?

archer
9-Jul-2010, 12:17
Dear Lars;
I made the compendium lens hood from an old enlarger bellows. It can be adjusted to work with all my lenses from 90mm to 355mm by using the dowel rods cut for each range of focal length. It screws into the filter ring threads of the lens or step up rings and is extremely light. It collapses for wide angle lens or storage to 3/4in.
Denise Libby
P.S. The front of the hood can can also be used with 4x4in square filters in a slide on filter holder

lbenac
22-Jul-2013, 20:26
Well I just ordered one through Rob at Big Camera Workshop here in Canada.
If everything goes well and I really like the camera which I hope, it will replace both my Wista and my Chamonix 45n2.

Ease of setup keeping a lens mounted at all time (Wista 45DX)
Bellow draw, center tilt and added rigidity (45n2)

I just will have to carry the extra weight :-) and sell these two
Cheers,

Luc

Lachlan 717
23-Jul-2013, 01:35
Congratulations, Luc!! When is it due to arrive?

What's the weight difference(s)?

I've never really weighed in to ('scuse the pun) the weight argument on these sorts of cameras (nor lenses), as I don't notice a few hundred grams here or there. I've done 10 mile hikes with my 7x17 pack on the back and my 4x5 pack on the front, so it's fairly moot. Perhaps if I was doing overnight trips, weight would become a factor...

lbenac
23-Jul-2013, 07:08
The weight is about 1kg extra for the XPO (2.6 versus 1.3) and a larger size 26cm versus 18cm longer edge.
There is about 3 to 4 weeks turn-around.

Cheers,

Luc