PDA

View Full Version : Use of a Seal Tack Iron

tom thomas
17-Jun-2010, 14:26
What is a Seal Tack Iron used for in LF? Resealing the seams on bellows?

I just saw one in the FS forum and wondered. I have one that I used to use when building model airplanes. Is it the same kind of iron?

Tom

Jack Dahlgren
17-Jun-2010, 14:56
Dry mounting.

Andrew O'Neill
17-Jun-2010, 15:27
It's for tacking drymount tissue to the back of print and to matte board before placing in the press.

tom thomas
21-Jun-2010, 14:00
Aha, thanx alot. Sounds like the same usage for the iron I have except that it is used to tack the covering on the plane wings, etc.

I wonder if I can use mine to reseal the bellows on my Graflex Minature. It looks like the glue has given way on them. Of course, I'll have to dismantle the bellows to get to it.

Tom

R Mann
21-Jun-2010, 14:08
You would attach the center of the tissue to the back of the print, place the print on the mounting board and tack at least two corners of the tissue to the mounting board - that way when you place the "package" into the large press they should stay aligned.

John Kasaian
22-Jun-2010, 07:27
I wonder if I can use mine to reseal the bellows on my Graflex Minature. It looks like the glue has given way on them. Of course, I'll have to dismantle the bellows to get to it.

Tom I wouldn't.

tom thomas
22-Jun-2010, 09:22
OK John. Will the heat cause more damage. I'd thot to use the iron as it has the very fine tip compared to a household iron. My iron also has a temp control knob as normally used to attach and shrink "Monokote" plastic fabric on the model airplanes.

Tom

John Koehrer
22-Jun-2010, 10:53
I doubt the glue used was heat sealed. The applied heat to an adjacent area may allow other sections to release.
I'd use a something like Elmer's or a quick setting woodworking glue applied with a syringe, fondue stick, popsicle stick or small brush. Stay away from urethane glues, they expand while curing & are very difficult to remove.
Your can get syringes large enough to apply glue with at hobby or craft stores.