PDA

View Full Version : Can't find a matting company to handle this...

BohemianNoirVisions
17-Jun-2010, 12:15
I'm trying to locate a company that is capable of making a single piece of custom matting for framing photographs. Specifically I have six vertically oriented 8x10 photographs that I wish to display in a horizontal row inside of a single frame, giving the overall matting an approximate size of 54x14.5".

This would have six 7.5x9.5 openings spaced one inch apart (with a 2" border on the left and right sides, top, and 2.5 at the bottom).

I've spent several days on and off searching the web but have come up with a blank. Does anyone know of a company that can make matting that size??

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Derek S.

bob carnie
17-Jun-2010, 12:20
Not sure where you are located, we are in Toronto and can do this.
www.elevatordigital.ca

BohemianNoirVisions
17-Jun-2010, 12:23
Not sure where you are located, we are in Toronto and can do this.
www.elevatordigital.ca

Wow, speedy reply, thanx Bob. I'm in North Carolina, US and will check out the website! Thank you!!

Bruce Watson
17-Jun-2010, 14:23
Wow, speedy reply, thanx Bob. I'm in North Carolina, US and will check out the website! Thank you!!

Derek, I'm in Raleigh. Jerry's Artarama (http://www.jerrysartarama.com/) has a computer driven matte cutting machine in their frame shop that can knock out something like that in a few minutes. It'll give you exactly the dimensions you ask for, so be correct.

I also know at least one framer who can probably do that for you using a hand actuated matte cutter. It's an art, and he's pretty good at it. PM me and I'll put you in contact if you want.

bob carnie
17-Jun-2010, 14:31
I agree with Bruce, though we could do it as we have one of those suckers here , the shipping would make us costly.

Derek, I'm in Raleigh. Jerry's Artarama (http://www.jerrysartarama.com/) has a computer driven matte cutting machine in their frame shop that can knock out something like that in a few minutes. It'll give you exactly the dimensions you ask for, so be correct.

I also know at least one framer who can probably do that for you using a hand actuated matte cutter. It's an art, and he's pretty good at it. PM me and I'll put you in contact if you want.

Bruce Watson
17-Jun-2010, 15:01
I agree with Bruce, though we could do it as we have one of those suckers here , the shipping would make us costly.

Yeah, shipping matte board is a PITA. Shipping one piece of matte board and getting it there without a dent, fold, or crushed corner is nearly impossible. Only way I know is to sandwich it between two pieces of plywood (an inch or more bigger all the way around the matte board). And that's not a guarantee. Not with any of the parcel carriers that service my region anyway. Sometimes I think they could break a steel brick.

Hector.Navarro
17-Jun-2010, 18:23
check out the services from Michael Smith:

http://www.lodimaarchivalmaterials.com/lam/index.html

Bob Salomon
18-Jun-2010, 02:31
Isn't there a frame shop near you? Have you asked them?