PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Pro screen

Allen in Montreal
16-Jun-2010, 12:23
My older MacBook Pro blew up,
I have just replaced it with the new version and the high gloss screen.
I am not really enjoying this screen so far.

Does anybody else use this machine and how are you dealing with the screen?

Thanks,

David Aimone
16-Jun-2010, 12:31
I have this screen, but on a 24" iMac in my studio (no windows). I like it, but can see where it might take some getting used to with a lot of glare sources.

Paul R. C. Kent
16-Jun-2010, 15:56
If you can, return it and upgrade to the hi-res anti-glare screen. In the USA this is a $150 upgrade.

IanMazursky
16-Jun-2010, 19:46
I have one of the MBP's but i bought it with the anti glare screen (matte).
As Paul said, try to return it. Ive seen the ones that are glossy and they are hard on the eyes especially when you have windows or lights.
It also gives you a false sense of contrast when you are retouching/color correcting.
I would only get a glossy screen if you are only using it for movies, then its great.

Allen in Montreal
17-Jun-2010, 04:51
Thank you guys,
I will try to trade this for the upgraded version.

Michael Graves
17-Jun-2010, 05:42
I recently choked back my resistance and bought a Dell Studio XPS because I had to have a PC-based laptop to use in my graduate program. (It's a long story...don't ask...but I can't use my Mac.) I decided if I was going to do it, I might as well do it right and got the 256GB solid state drive and the rgbLED display. Having a really nice display makes all the difference in the world in how you perceive your computer. I almost LIKE the thing. Maybe if I find a couple of good games I really will.

PViapiano
17-Jun-2010, 22:29
Michael, nothing wrong with Dell. As nice as Apples are, they are so overpriced.

Went to the Apple Store the other day to check out the iPad and was so disappointed at how heavy it is and the screen was full of glare. Dealbreaker...

Allen in Montreal
18-Jun-2010, 20:02
Does not look like this book is going back,
has anyone tried the iVision anti glare stick ons I saw at the apple store?

ethics_gradient
18-Jun-2010, 22:25
Glare or no-glare, it's still not an IPS panel. You're better off using the laptop on the road and plugging it in to a decent external LCD panel when you get home.

Matus Kalisky
22-Jun-2010, 06:30
Glare or no-glare, it's still not an IPS panel. You're better off using the laptop on the road and plugging it in to a decent external LCD panel when you get home.

That is how I do it. I got a refurbished 20" IPS LCD monitor NEC MultiSync 2070NX (matt). I have a 13" MacBook (alu version, but not "Pro") and it even can not be fully calibrated. The glossy screen of the MacBook is close to useless if you have light sources behind you back. I just do NOT understand why not matt screens are offered.

Also the color response of the IPS once calibrated is great. I just plug in in the MacBook and use the MacBook screen just for PS tools.

I guess there are better monitors out there but for 180 euro I do not complain ;)

Ken Lee
22-Jun-2010, 08:52
I got a refurbished 20" IPS LCD monitor NEC MultiSync 2070NX (matt).

Where please ?

Allen in Montreal
23-Jun-2010, 10:52

I bought a 21' NEC mutlisync for my scanning computer, but this laptop is for newspaper work on the road.

I could not return the laptop due to Applecare and IT dept at the newspaper issues.
(I had little to say or do with it between the newspaper and Apple).
:mad: :mad:

I picked up the iVisor anti glare screen, not cheap but it seem to work well.
But, at about 50 bucks a pop, just getting the right screen the first time around would have been nice.

Matus Kalisky
24-Jun-2010, 00:46
Where please ?

German eBay, sorry ...

Allen in Montreal
29-Jun-2010, 08:51
Just a quick follow up,

I tried the iVisor ant glare screens, there are not very good if you have to work outdoors, as I often do. They were fine in the studio, but outdoors, sending pictures to the newspaper from the curb in broad daylight, it was almost unusable.

I called Apple back again and they agreed to exchange my laptop for the anti glare version.

The customer service at Apple has been excellent in my few experiences.

bdkphoto
29-Jun-2010, 12:29
Just a quick follow up,

I tried the iVisor ant glare screens, there are not very good if you have to work outdoors, as I often do. They were fine in the studio, but outdoors, sending pictures to the newspaper from the curb in broad daylight, it was almost unusable.

I called Apple back again and they agreed to exchange my laptop for the anti glare version.

Here was my solution on location in Florida ;-)) Assistant under reflector...

IanMazursky
30-Jun-2010, 10:52
Just a quick follow up,

I have always found the applecare phone support excellent. The apple store techs are another matter all together.
Way back when apple first opened the stores, the genius bar was full of real techies who believed in the products and provided good support.
Now they are staffed with walking wikis...well mostly, some are good but most sound like apples support site.
If you call apple instead of going to the sore, they will send out a box overnight to ship the offending product back.
If you goto the store, you wait on a long line and then run the risk of them saying its your fault and not taking the product back.
If they do accept it (big if), they just send it back to apple in a few days. But its a hit or miss.

My sisters mac book pro had dead dvd drive, she brought it into the store to be fixed.
Because there was a small scratch on the case, they said it was her fault and wouldn't repair it. They even threatened her not to call for support even though she had applecare. They said that they had reported her to the "system" and she would not be entitled to have it fixed.
I called up apple support and within 10 minutes a box was dispatched, a week later the laptop came back good as new.

The phone people really seem to care more. Once you send the box back they will diagnose and repair then ship back overnight.

Allen in Montreal
30-Jun-2010, 12:11
Ian,

I agree, most of the wrong/bad info came from the store, which is a block from my office.

The 1-800-save my machine line people were....oh....many thousands of times better than the 11 year old kid who served me at the Store.

I should have gone to the applecare line right away, the store even told my the anti glare screen was not longer offered. Then in back tracking, they said they were referring to the 13 inch.

Normally, I go to a shop in Montreal, SynergySMC for repairs, because they are way faster and way better than the iStore, but this was an exchange, so I had to deal with the store.
:(

But all is well, the email notice that my new machine has shipped came today and in the future, it is only the 1-800 customer care guys for me too.

IanMazursky
1-Jul-2010, 09:12
Good luck! I have one with an anti glare screen and youll be much happier.
Just a few observations, fingerprints are harder to remove with a micro fiber cloth.
Another thing is that they attract dust like a CRT TV. The glossy ones don't seem to do it as much. Just another quirk i guess.

Kirk Gittings
1-Jul-2010, 12:27

I don't have a mat screen on mine but I can't imagine either being much use in broad daylight?

Bill_1856
1-Jul-2010, 16:32
I'm looking into buying a Macbook Pro, but can't find any options to the standard glossy screen. Where do I look for information about ordering a matt screen with the computer?

Ben Hopson
1-Jul-2010, 17:08
Bill, This will give you a comparison of the MacBook Pro models. The mat display is not offered on the 13", but is on the 15" and 17".
http://www.apple.com/mac/whichmacbook/compare.html

Ben

Allen in Montreal
1-Jul-2010, 17:20
I'm looking into buying a Macbook Pro, but can't find any options to the standard glossy screen. Where do I look for information about ordering a matt screen with the computer?

Under the customize your (or build) machine,
if you wanted to add ram, hard drive space etc,
scroll down and it will give three display options.

http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MC371LL/A?mco=MTc0Njg1OTY

MacBook Pro 15-inch Glossy Widescreen Display [Subtract $150.00]
MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Glossy Widescreen Display [Subtract $50.00]
MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display

Bill_1856
1-Jul-2010, 17:44
Thanks Ben and Allen.

Allen in Montreal
9-Jul-2010, 15:00
Good luck! I have one with an anti glare screen and youll be much happier......

The replacement MacBook Pro came, (with the anti glare screen and its higher rez level). I spent some time setting it up and filed my first few jobs back to the paper with it.

What a difference. Well worth the few extra hours to deal with Applecare and set up the machine again.
Bill if you are looking to shop for one of these, get the non glare, higher rez, screen.
Well worth the 150 bucks more.

I don't have a mat screen on mine but I can't imagine either being much use in broad daylight?

Sadly, not much choice in the newspaper "fast to the web" world. Yesterday I shot 5 jobs, 4 for the next days paper and to be filed asap, 2 were sent from the front seat of the car. :mad:

Must be nice to have someone else under the hood for you! :)