PDA

View Full Version : velvia

douglas gove
14-Jun-2010, 13:29
having problems with availability of velvia 50...any information on velvia 100 [not the f version] would be appreciated...sharpness, granularity, reciprosity and scanning properties etc....anybody out there that is familar with both? thank you doug

mrladewig
14-Jun-2010, 13:53
There are certainly plenty of reviews of Velvia 100 vs 50 out there and even a few 100F vs 100 vs 50. RMS granularity of Velvia 100 and 100F is 8. I haven't seen anything specifically addressing the resolution LP/mm measurements of these two films, but they surely exist with a search.

Rust Never Sleeps
16-Jun-2010, 19:08
IMO Velvia 100 sucks. It is less sharp than the 50, has a bad magenta cast and just looks odd on most scenes. I have shot 50 vs 100 side by side and always prefer the 50. I have a few shots on 6x7 that worked alright on 100 and a couple on 4x5 that are decent but I don't bother with this film anymore.

It's Velvia 50, Provia 100F, and Astia 100F for me depending on the scene/time of day/weather.

I need to check out the 100F version this summer/fall. If true, that sucks on the availability of Velvia 50 as I need some more very soon.

Lachlan 717
16-Jun-2010, 19:23
Contrary to Rusty's view, I really like the non-F version. Doesn't do reds/yellows quit as well as the 50, but that doesn't mean it performs poorly.

I can't tell the difference between the grain on the 50 versus the 100.

So, conflicting opinions.

Thus, my suggestion? Simplest way: get some and try it.

If you've got a roll film camera/MF, throw a roll of 120 through and see whether you like it.

After all, none of us know exactly what you're after; only you do.

Brian Vuillemenot
16-Jun-2010, 21:13
I also like the Velvia 100. It's quite a bit easier to shoot than the 50, since the extra stop really helps. The colors are a bit different, but not that much. Avoid the 100F version, though- it looks weak and washed out compared to 50 or 100.

dave_whatever
17-Jun-2010, 00:49
Velvia 100 can block up a bit in the red in extremely strong colour, but in a lot of situations its indistinguishable from velvia 50.

mrladewig
17-Jun-2010, 11:13
I also like the Velvia 100. It's quite a bit easier to shoot than the 50, since the extra stop really helps. The colors are a bit different, but not that much. Avoid the 100F version, though- it looks weak and washed out compared to 50 or 100.

I had always read this, but recently bought several boxes of Velvia 100F quickloads. I really like this film myself. Its definitely got a different palette from Velvia 50 and Velvia 100. But I wouldn't describe it as weak or washed out, just a different palette.

Rust Never Sleeps
19-Jun-2010, 19:07
Velvia 100 can block up a bit in the red in extremely strong color, but in a lot of situations its indistinguishable from velvia 50.

I remember a few people stating the same thing about 50 VS 100 when researching the Velvia films a while back so I knew what to expect when I shot the films.

After shooting the same scenes though, and comparing side by side there is no way 50 and 100 are indistinguishable. They have quite different palates. 50 is warm while 100 is cooler. 100 has a very noticeable magenta cast. 100 is a little less saturated. I can see how some people might like 100 but it just looks a little weird to me for the stuff I shoot (mountain landscapes).

In fact Provia 100F and Vevia 50 have a similar palate, more so than Velvia 50 and 100. The 50 is just more saturated, colors are bolder, is warmer but the colors are similar with Provia having a bit of a yellow cast and the greens are not as strong.

I agree with what Lachlan said and shoot some yourself and compare for yourself to see which works best for the stuff you shoot. BTW I just got two boxes of Velvia 50 quickload. Take care.

douglas gove
20-Jun-2010, 10:27
Thank you for the replies...just did a side by side of 50 and 100...don't know about the magenta cast [perhaps i have become accustomed to the look and feel of 50 after all these years] 100 is not as sharp...i agree on the properties of provia and 50...was able to obtain 100 sheets of 50 in the "old" ten sheet boxes, with more on the way...so they say once again thank you doug

Lachlan 717
20-Jun-2010, 14:16
How did you determine 100 was "...not as sharp"? By eye? Under a loupe?

douglas gove
20-Jun-2010, 14:52
Lachlan...with a loupe and a scan doug

Darren H
21-Jun-2010, 14:31
Velvia 50 was the best to me, my goto film. Velvia 100F is decent. I like it for scenes where I want more punch than Astia or Provia but not actually use the good stuff :-) No not quite the punch but a decent film. Provia is ok I mainly would buy it when I could find short/outdated. I like Astia more for winter, and daytime, and when there is not alot of green as I think green is really bad on Astia. Astia is awesome for use when you know you will convert it to B+W in PS.

Then we get to Velvia 100. Don't like it. Serious magenta cast. Not that it pumps red or magenta. No it always seems to have a magenta cast. Should not be called Velvia. :-)

BTW, yes Velvia 50 seems in very short supply.

Man I am gonna miss Quickloads........