PDA

View Full Version : Rodenstock Apo-Gerogon 210mm for 8x10" close-up work?

Rui Morais de Sousa
13-Jun-2010, 16:24
Hello everybody,
I would like to hear the opinion of people with experience on using an Apo-Gerogon 210mm f/9 with a 8x10 camera for close-up work. I am not meaning copy work, but three-dimensional objects, like nature abstractions, rocks, bird's feathers, etc., mostly in black & white.
I have been using for some years now some copy lenses for general photography with full satisfaction, but the ones I have are too long to be practical outdoors, as they need too much belows extension (305mm G-Claron and 480mm Apo-Ronar, both shuttered) to be used close-up.
As I would like to use the lens outdoors, is there any possibility of fitting it (cheaply) to a shutter? In case yes, would it be advisable to use some spacers for better performance?
In case you also have experience on this subject, but using a Rodagon 180mm, your thoughts would be much appreciated...
Regards,
Rui
AL-MOST-LY PHOTOGRAPHY (http://ruimoraisdesousa.blogspot.com/)

Mark Woods
13-Jun-2010, 17:12
Hello Rui,

I use a 210mm Repro Claron all the time in 8x10 and love the results. I have no problem with dimensionality or some of the artifacts mentioned in the literature. I began using it because I got it with a package deal, and it's been great. I know it's optimized for 1:1 and I often use it for that, but on 3D objects. If you can test it before you commit to putting it into a shutter, give it a shot. YMMV

MW

Arne Croell
13-Jun-2010, 20:48
The Apo-Gerogon is quite similar to the G-Claron in its specs, so it should work for this purpose (around 1:1, not at infinity). However, in contrast to the G-Claron, it is not an easy fit into a shutter, as the threads and spacings are different. Shuttering involves machining of the lens cells (at least for the 150mm one).