PDA

View Full Version : Fotoman 612 question

viablex1
12-Jun-2010, 09:40
This is really weird, I have a fotoman 612 with a 75mm rodensock lens.

Great great camera I now have three fotoman cameras

OKay I loaded the film and made sure the window had 2,4,6,8,10,12.

I got i developed really stunning chromes but the sixth exposure on every roll was had about 1/3 of it cut off.

anybody else experience this?

I asked Paul D. but he hadn't heard of this before.

thanks

Matt Friel

shadowleaves
12-Jun-2010, 14:00
This is really weird, I have a fotoman 612 with a 75mm rodensock lens.

Great great camera I now have three fotoman cameras

OKay I loaded the film and made sure the window had 2,4,6,8,10,12.

I got i developed really stunning chromes but the sixth exposure on every roll was had about 1/3 of it cut off.

anybody else experience this?

I asked Paul D. but he hadn't heard of this before.

thanks

Matt Friel

Did you correctly align the "start" mark on the film's back-paper with the marking on the body?

viablex1
12-Jun-2010, 15:38
would that matter when utilizing the number system?

Ezzie
12-Jun-2010, 23:28
Is your viewing window on the left? My Dayi 6x12 back's window is on the right (same side as take-up spool) and I use 1,3,5,7,9,11 with no problems.

viablex1
13-Jun-2010, 19:22
no mine is on the right near the take up spool hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

shadowleaves
14-Jun-2010, 14:36
would that matter when utilizing the number system?

you're right - that wouldn't....

maybe that was due to the number positioning on certain film type? i was using Velvia and Provia with the Fotoman and never got any framing issue.

Lachlan 717
14-Jun-2010, 15:14
I'd think that you're starting on the wrong frame number. Are you sure that you should be using even numbers? As Ezzie wrote, perhaps you should be using the odd numbers. If you are cutting off the last frame, this would suggest you're going too far on the roll for this shot, ergo you have started too far in on the first shot.

The simplest way to check this is to look at the lead-in frames on a processed roll. If there is a large, unexposed area on the leader, you have started on the wrong frame number.

Paul Droluk
14-Jun-2010, 15:34
Frame numbers to use on the Fotoman 612 should 2, 4, 6, 8 ,10, 12... that's why the window is not in the same position as the Dayi back.

Lachlan 717
14-Jun-2010, 16:13
Frame numbers to use on the Fotoman 612 should 2, 4, 6, 8 ,10, 12... that's why the window is not in the same position as the Dayi back.

I have no reason to doubt that to be true, but I would still be checking the leader to see if the "missing" frame is at the start of the roll.

Theory is one thing; evidence is another.

Dominique Cesari
15-Jun-2010, 04:22
As Lachlan said, check the beginning of the roll. If needed, ask for a full uncut processed film next time. However Paul doesn't state theory but the design of his cameras.
Is the film of a brand that you use routinely on your other panoramic cameras ?
Could the window on the back of your 612 camera be in the inverted place (dismanteld by a former owner ...) ?

viablex1
15-Jun-2010, 12:22

this is weird and maybe I am all wet I don't have the knowledge of someone who actually makes these, but 1,3,5,7,9,11 works like a charm the other way always cuts off the last negative since it is not film I checked it twice with two rolls of reala, I am guessing that 120 film is an universal length...

so this is what I will be using in my 612 which I love BTW, I just bought a 624...

viablex1
15-Jun-2010, 12:25
As Lachlan said, check the beginning of the roll. If needed, ask for a full uncut processed film next time. However Paul doesn't state theory but the design of his cameras.
Is the film of a brand that you use routinely on your other panoramic cameras ?
Could the window on the back of your 612 camera be in the inverted place (dismanteld by a former owner ...) ?

there isn't a full 612 frame but there is a blank spot it did it on every single roll I tried, ilford as well as velvia and provia..

I must be starting at the wrong place, but "2" is hard to read as any other number...

I really appreciate the responses since I will be the first to admit I don't know everything and I am willing to learn

viablex1
23-Jun-2010, 12:19
okay same with the 6X17 and 6X24, I used reala film and it looks best to start at 1 or 2 on then and count accordingly. If you stick to the numbering system there is no film whatsoever on the last frame at least for part of that frame or in the case of the 624 the film comes loose on the left side more later on this I am waiting for some 617 film to come back and I just got a killer 624!!

matto

Lachlan 717
23-Jun-2010, 12:28
Glad that you worked it out in the end.

Perhaps you should post a couple of photos of the film back so that Paul can confirm it's the same back that he was referring to. Seems strange that the design/suggested frame numbers should be so far off...

lutherasmith
23-Jun-2010, 13:43
--- I just got a killer 624!!

matto

What lens are you using on the Fotoman 624? Where did you get it? I understand they no longer have a distributor in US.

Thanks,

Luther

viablex1
23-Jun-2010, 19:00
I got it used from a very very good seller, I must be missing something maybe I should try to find someone local that uses one and see what I am doing wrong I cant believe it is a manufacturing flaw. very odd...

viablex1
24-Jun-2010, 06:40
okay now I feel incredibly stupid, you are right I have been loading the things wrong!!!!!!!!!!!! omg omg but you know what thank you very much for helping out with this!!!

matto

viablex1
24-Jun-2010, 06:42
okay now I feel incredibly stupid, you are right I have been loading the things wrong!!!!!!!!!!!! omg omg but you know what thank you very much for helping out with this!!!

matto:confused: :confused: :eek:

:)