PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Using "Color Mechanic" for LF Work?

chris jordan
6-Mar-2002, 14:47
There's a new photoshop plug-in called "color mechanic" that looks interesting. anyone out there using it? if so please contact me off-list-- i'd like to chat .

~chris jordan (Seattle)

chris@chrisjordanphoto.com

Tony Galt
6-Mar-2002, 15:47
Color Mechanic is a PhotoShop plug in, but that capability is built in to Pictur e Window, which is produced by the same software company, Digital Light and Colo r, and which I do use. Picture Window is a full photo editing program which is q uite sophisticated because it is designed in terms that are familiar to photogra phers. I much prefer it to PhotoShop. The Color Mechanic segment of Picture Wind ow allows very fine-tuned color adjustment. Just the other day I was working on a medium format photo of a freight train parked in a snowy forest framed in the forground by a jumble of railroad ties. The ties were a sickly green color (the result of both a color cast and lichens) and I wanted to give them a more neutra l gray tone. I was able to do this very nicely with the Picture Window version o f Color Mechanic. I don't think that LF negatives would present any difficulty a lthough, of course, to do much modification of them you need lots of memory. (Pi cture Window, by the way, takes rather less memory to run than PhotoShop.) If yo u have other questions contact me.