PDA

View Full Version : developing infared

David Woods
8-Jun-2010, 00:50
Hi
I hope someone cane give me a bit of advise, the attached photo's are 35mm, I know we are not suppose to put that format on the site, but I wanted to practice developing the smaller and cheaper formats, before trying 4x5 or 5x7, as you can see they are quite grainy, can anyone give me a clue what I have done wrong.
The film is Elke 820, I washed the film before deloping, I used T-Max deloper at 6.30 minutes, also some have a red and or green tinge though them?

Thanks
David

Keith Tapscott.
8-Jun-2010, 01:26
Hi
I hope someone cane give me a bit of advise, the attached photo's are 35mm, I know we are not suppose to put that format on the site, but I wanted to practice developing the smaller and cheaper formats, before trying 4x5 or 5x7, as you can see they are quite grainy, can anyone give me a clue what I have done wrong.
The film is Elke 820, I washed the film before deloping, I used T-Max deloper at 6.30 minutes, also some have a red and or green tinge though them?

Thanks
DavidThe images look under exposed to me, so I would try bracketing the exposures on the next roll and make notes, so that you can obtain the optimum exposure index for future rolls.
T-Max developer might not be the best choice for fine-grain, but might also be due to over development and too strong a dilution. I would also try D-76 (stock) for around 9 minutes at 20*C as a starting point, although you will probably need to adjust the times for both developers to obtain the contrast that suits you best. Try developing with out a pre-soak as well and see if that makes any difference.

Sevo
8-Jun-2010, 01:33
EFKE 820 is very grainy, the more so if you underexpose - and it is a film that is easily underexposed, as its IR sensitivity is quite low, around 0.5 ASA, with a strong risk of running into reciprocity issues that make it underexpose even more.

Keith Tapscott.
8-Jun-2010, 01:40
You might find this thread useful.
http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1542&highlight=Efke

D. Bryant
8-Jun-2010, 05:40
Hi

Thanks
David

Your film looks to be under exposed. TMAX developer will work fine though you don't tell us what dilution you are using. Try 1:8 @ 75F for 8 to 9 min.

Are you using a filter?

Bracket your exposures on your next roll. Since you are trying to save money testing with small format film bracket widely, that is 2 or 3 stops over and under to see what you get. Of course be sure to take notes. This film is really slow.

Don Bryant

David Woods
8-Jun-2010, 15:10
Your film looks to be under exposed. TMAX developer will work fine though you don't tell us what dilution you are using. Try 1:8 @ 75F for 8 to 9 min.

Are you using a filter?

Bracket your exposures on your next roll. Since you are trying to save money testing with small format film bracket widely, that is 2 or 3 stops over and under to see what you get. Of course be sure to take notes. This film is really slow.

Don Bryant

thanks guys

the mix was 1:4 @68f for 6.30 minutes, the filter was a cokin filter, I will try again
David

Andrew O'Neill
8-Jun-2010, 16:16
Not familiar with Cokin filters. Is it visually opaque? If so, make sure you expose this film at an EI of around 1.5. The developer, dilution of 1+4m, and temp. are good.
I always metre for the shadows and expose a couple of zones higher than I would if using conventional film. Don't forget to factor in reciprocity, as most of my exposures start at around 16 seconds and longer.

Ron Marshall
8-Jun-2010, 16:41
This link might interest you:

http://www.digitaltruth.com/products/product_tests/infrared_film_002.php

I got ISO 3 with Efke in XTOL 1:1 and a UV filter, can't remember which (cutoff was 720) It was pretty grainy for me but that suited my subject.

David Woods
8-Jun-2010, 16:56
Not familiar with Cokin filters. Is it visually opaque? If so, make sure you expose this film at an EI of around 1.5. The developer, dilution of 1+4m, and temp. are good.
I always metre for the shadows and expose a couple of zones higher than I would if using conventional film. Don't forget to factor in reciprocity, as most of my exposures start at around 16 seconds and longer.

thanks andrew

the filter is opaque, I now realise why, I was exposing at 1/10th to 1/160th, nothing nowhere near the exposure times you have mentioned,

Thanks again

David Woods
8-Jun-2010, 17:08
This link might interest you:

http://www.digitaltruth.com/products/product_tests/infrared_film_002.php

I got ISO 3 with Efke in XTOL 1:1 and a UV filter, can't remember which (cutoff was 720) It was pretty grainy for me but that suited my subject.

thanks Ron

looks at the site, Elke is quite grainy compared the the other film, might try the rollei.

David

tgtaylor
8-Jun-2010, 17:10
You probably already know this Dave but the Cokin 007 IR filter takes 6 stops. I've been using this filter with good results with Ilford and Rollie IR film. I determine the "normal" exposure at ISO of 200 for Ilford and 400 for the rollie and then open up 6stops from that.

David Woods
8-Jun-2010, 18:54
You probably already know this Dave but the Cokin 007 IR filter takes 6 stops. I've been using this filter with good results with Ilford and Rollie IR film. I determine the "normal" exposure at ISO of 200 for Ilford and 400 for the rollie and then open up 6stops from that.

No I didn't know, that will be a big help
Thanks