PDA

View Full Version : Fuji Acros Boxes

Eric J
6-Jun-2010, 16:15
I just started shooting 4x5 a few weeks ago using Fuji Acros. The first time that I loaded up some film holders, I was surprised to find that it only had two nested boxes, not the three that I had been expecting based on what I had read about sheet film boxes. I'm not concerned about the light tightness of the unopened film since the plastic seems pretty opaque, but I don't feel comfortable putting exposed film back into the box. This hasn't been a big deal so far, since I can develop the film straight out of the holders, but I am going on a trip shortly, and I'm not really sure how to get my exposed film back home. Am I justified in my distrust of these boxes, and if so, does anybody have any suggestions on how I should handle the situation? I'm almost considering trying to find some (relatively) cheap expired film of another emulsion and trashing it just for the boxes.

Richard K.
6-Jun-2010, 16:55
I wouldn't use just 2 boxes but maybe it's just me. Buy a box of Ilford or Kodak 4x5 (something that you will eventually use), put the foil or black plastic wrapped film into the cool cupboard until you het back, download your film into the empty triple nesting box all through your trip and when you return have it processed and the box returned. Refill the empty box with the original film. Repeat as needed.

BetterSense
6-Jun-2010, 19:08
I wouldn't put plain film in a 2-part box. Light could leak in too easily. I consider the IlfoDak 3-part boxen light-tight however. The cheap Arista film from Freestyle also comes in 2-part boxes and I rebox it in 3-part boxes so that I can put the exposed film back in the box.

Dirk Rösler
6-Jun-2010, 19:38
The "situation"? Wow, let me think. How about putting the exposed film into the silver film bag between the cards again and closing the box? For me this has so far helped in this "situation".

Lachlan 717
6-Jun-2010, 19:59
Ask nicely and let people know your rough location.

Many of us have empty boxes lying around and might be able to send/give you a spare...

domaz
8-Jun-2010, 09:58
I wouldn't worry about it. Just tape the black plastic shut with some black tape. The black plastic is opaque enough on it's own when taped to not get fogged. The redudant part of the system is the outer box. If you have redudancy against fogging you are safe.

Sevo
8-Jun-2010, 10:11
I wouldn't worry about it. Just tape the black plastic shut with some black tape. The black plastic is opaque enough on it's own when taped to not get fogged.

The black bags are 100% opaque - I have successfully used them to mail exposed film to the lab.

Sevo

BradS
8-Jun-2010, 10:23
Foma package their film this way too...it's no big deal. Try using a rubber band to secure the box.

tgtaylor
8-Jun-2010, 10:32
The "situation"? Wow, let me think. How about putting the exposed film into the silver film bag between the cards again and closing the box? For me this has so far helped in this "situation".

That's what I have been doing and haven't had any problem whatsoever. Once the box is closed, I apply a strip of inexpensive see-thru tape on each end so that the box doesn't come open.

I like Fuji's idea of using one strip of cardboard inside to contain the sheets instead of the two that Kodak and others use.

jp
8-Jun-2010, 11:23
A black bag like new photopaper is stored in would probably a safe layer as well. I think efke film is in something like this inside the box, but I'll know better once the film is used up and I can actually see what I'm handling in the dark.

I usually have extras in my darkroom and sometimes use them to protect finished prints in storage or shipping.