PDA

View Full Version : How to deliver for processing?

engl
6-Jun-2010, 14:29
I have two boxes of Optima 100 4x5 sheet film. This film expired 1998, however, it was stored frozen since being purchased, or so the (reputable) seller claims. Im leaving for a Tokyo tomorrow (long stay) and would like to use this film there. There are plenty of good labs doing sheet film developing, however, Id like to turn in say 4 sheets of non-critical shots to assess film quality before shooting more of it.

Ive only developed my own film before (BW). How would you recommend turning in 4 sheets of color negative film for developing?

Oh, and if anyone knows the reciprocity failure of Optima 100 beyond 100 seconds Id be interested as well.

Thanks in advance.

ac12
6-Jun-2010, 14:33
Ask if the lab will take the film in the film holders and return the developed film and holders.

Eric James
6-Jun-2010, 14:37
Here's Agfa's technical data sheet for professional films; reciprocity charts are on page six.

http://www.agfaphoto.com/appc/_upload/2008_36/Datasheet_F_PF_E4.pdf

engl
6-Jun-2010, 17:00
Thanks for the suggestion about the film holders, Ill ask about that! Is it a commonly accepted method?

Thanks also for the Optima data sheet, but Ive seen that one and it only goes to 100 seconds (and Ill be doing some night exposures). If nothing else Ill find charts for another film, if I can find something that matches at 100 seconds Im sure the result will be close enough for longer times.

IanMazursky
6-Jun-2010, 22:54
Most labs that process sheet film are used to taking the film out of film holders and have no problem with it.
They only get a little annoyed if you ask them for the holders back immediately.
Other then that, its a normal practice. The best part of it is that you can number or ID the holders and they can ID the film for you.
That way you can match it to your notes. You can also take it to them in a regular 3 part film box.

ki6mf
7-Jun-2010, 11:09
Freestyle photo sells black poly bags and cardboard mailers for $.59 each (5X7). I have used these for several years to transport exposed film and hold back up negatives that have not been processes. Here is a link: http://www.freestylephoto.biz/5857-Envelope-and-Black-Bag-Set-5x7?cat_id=1603

BradS
8-Jun-2010, 09:44
What most folks actually do is to save the empty film boxes (once the film is used) and send the film to be processed in an empty box. Starting out, one can buy two boxes of ten sheets each (Kodak and Fuji sell color film this way), put all of the unexposed film in one box and use the other to send exposed film out for processing....always make a note to the lab requesting that they save and return all packaging to you.

Most folks who've been at this for a while have a pile of empty boxes....and would be happy to share...you just have to ask.

ac12
8-Jun-2010, 09:59
Does anyone have any spare film boxes that I can have? I will pay the postage.
I only have one box right now, and it has film in it. I only have a few film holders, and once I load up, I'm afraid that I won't have any to use when I send them in.
I'm in Calif.

tnx Gary

BradS
8-Jun-2010, 10:18
Does anyone have any spare film boxes that I can have? I will pay the postage.
I only have one box right now, and it has film in it. I only have a few film holders, and once I load up, I'm afraid that I won't have any to use when I send them in.
I'm in Calif.

tnx Gary

Send me a PM with your address and I'll send you a couple (I assume you mean 4x5?).

engl
8-Jun-2010, 21:41
Thanks for all the replies! I dont think I will need to deliver a full box for processing yet, as I can conveniently drop off holders after shooting, and my shooting volume is low.

I have one question about using film boxes though. Isnt there a risk of scratching the negatives if just stacking them on top of each other?

Tom Monego
9-Jun-2010, 05:41
Using a film box is the easiest way to take film to a processor, unless you can spare the holders, than you are not guaranteed to get your own back unless you have address labels on them. Any time you are handling film there is a chance of scratching the film, be careful and you should be fine. Film hasn't been packed with interleaving tissue for years. You have to use all three "halves" and there isn't much room for the film to move around and scratch itself.

Tom