PDA

View Full Version : Canada's Gulf Islands

Scott Walker
4-Jun-2010, 05:32
I am going to be in and around the Gulf Islands, first 3 weeks of July. Any suggestions as to interesting spots to pack a LF camera, keeping in mind that I will be on a boat not in a car.

Jim Bradley
4-Jun-2010, 10:06
Scott,
This is a little embarrassing as I have lived here for 50+ years and been boating for 20+ years in this area and I’m having trouble coming up with suggestions :) .

I mainly photograph yachts and shipping on the water in my small boat so I’m using smaller formats (http://members.shaw.ca/bcseaphoto). Haven’t gotten the setup yet to emulate the Rosenfelds (http://www.rosenfeldcollection.com/ )but I keep thinking about getting a Graphics or Technika.

For a grand vista type shot the one that springs to mind is the south end of Galiano Island, Bluffs park looking down on Active Pass. If you want the complete cliché include the passing of the BC Ferries :) Mount Tuam on the south end of Salt Spring gives you a great view over the entire area but would be a major hike without a car.
Of course any of your anchorages at sunrise/sunset will be highly photogenic. Also I’m sure you are aware of all the shore line/ weathered rocks type shoots that would be available for you.

Are you staying in the Gulf Islands or heading north at all ie Desolation Sound? Princess Louisa Sound and Chatterbox Falls would be a top destination.
Have a great trip and maybe we’ll see you on the water .

Jim

Andrew O'Neill
4-Jun-2010, 11:02
If you are in a boat, do yourself a favour and steer it towards the west coast of Vancouver Island. Much much more interesting. Gulf Islands pretty boring, at least for me.

Jim Bradley
4-Jun-2010, 14:33
I agree that for dramatic views "Outside" is better than "Inside". However for cruising "Outside" sucks (rough seas, high winds, no anchorages) compared to "Inside". In fact the Inside Passge (Victoria to Prince Rupert) is one of the top 5 cruising areas of the world.

Jim

Bruce Pollock
6-Jun-2010, 08:07
I'm not a boater, but,if you haven't done so already, you might want to check out some of the information about the Gulf Islands National Park (http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/bc/gulf/carte-map-nfl.aspx). The park is spread ut among many of the islands. My favourite is Prevost Island, although only part of it is accessible park land. Much of it is private farm land owned by relatives of mine. The Parks Canada website has more information. Here's another site (http://gulfislandsnationalpark.com/).

Being at sea level, you might struggle to find grand vistas, but there are lots of details to investigate. Another place to check out would be the sandstone formations of the Malaspina Galleries on Gabriola Island - they are beautiful.

sanking
6-Jun-2010, 10:23
Being at sea level, you might struggle to find grand vistas, but there are lots of details to investigate. Another place to check out would be the sandstone formations of the Malaspina Galleries on Gabriola Island - they are beautiful.

The Malaspina Gallery on Gabriola is indeed very beautiful. I spend some time on Gabriola every summer and always return to the gallery to photograph.

There are many other interesting things to photograph on Gabriola if you wander around. For example, I stumbled on these old holes from a mill stone mining operation a few years ago.

Sandy King

Scott Walker
7-Jun-2010, 09:29
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Jim, we have moorage booked for Port of Nanaimo, Ganges Harbor, and Port Sidney, in that order, so we will be either in those ports or at an anchorage nearby. With that said we will likely be staying in an area between Qualicum and Sidney or perhaps Victoria within the Gulf Islands.

Andrew, the outside passage will have to wait for another trip and maybe a bigger boat, the water can get rather nasty on that side.
Bruce, Prevost is one of my favorite spots as well, very pretty and mostly uninhabited. I have kayaked most of the shoreline and it is a given that you will find me anchored in Annette Inlet once or twice if for no other reason than to toss the kayaks in the water and maybe fire up the bbq.

Bruce & Sandy, for some reason Gabriola Island has always just been something I had to go around to get to Thrasher Rock to fish for big Cod. I stayed in Silva Bay once but never really went inland. I am rather intrigued by the Malaspina Galleries you mention and will definitely make a point of visiting.

My boat is “Fillet & Release” if you see me underway or on the hook give me a shout or stop by for a drink.

Scott

sanking
7-Jun-2010, 17:42
My boat is “Fillet & Release” if you see me underway or on the hook give me a shout or stop by for a drink.

Scott

Appears our trails won't cross. Looks like you will be in Nanaimo the first week of July, I plan to be on Gabriola at the end of the month.

Sandy King

PenGun
7-Jun-2010, 20:11
This is where I live. You will find lots to photograph. If you can get to Tofino, the west coast, a bus will do, there are the windswept beaches with gnarled tree bits scattered about and huge vistas. Massive trees on the way there to try to photograph.

If you stay on the east coast try to get down to the Sanich and Victoria areas the inlets and islands are covered with Arbutus and Manzanita bushes. Very sweet.

Have fun.

If you have trouble email or PM.

Andrew O'Neill
7-Jun-2010, 22:40
Thanks a lot Pengun, now I really long for the Island!! Should never have left.

sanking
8-Jun-2010, 08:55
Thanks a lot Pengun, now I really long for the Island!! Should never have left.

The Gulf Islands and Vancouver Island are about as close as it gets to paradise on earth in the summer. Probably much different in January, though!

Sandy King

Andrew O'Neill
8-Jun-2010, 09:36
Yup. January is a whole different ball game. Lots of drama. I would be scared of losing my 8x10 in the wind, or be swept away by a rogue wave.
Hey Sandy, it would be neat to bump into you out there one day.

Frank_E
8-Jun-2010, 09:44
Sandy, when is it again you are going to be on Gabriola
the dates were not clear to me

I will be arriving there on July 29th..

sanking
8-Jun-2010, 10:33
Andrew,

Where is Coquitlam? I thought you lived on Vancouver Island.

Frank,
We will be on Gabriola from July 16 until July 29. We are flying straight to Vancouver and taking a float plane to the island. Great connections this year, with a round trip flight directly from Charlotte, NC to Vancouver and back.

Sandy

Andrew O'Neill
8-Jun-2010, 11:38
Sandy,

Coquitlam is about 13 km's east from Vancouver. It's all connected, like one big city.
I used to live in Victoria until I moved to Japan. There were more teaching opportunies here, so this is where I ended up.

Jim Bradley
8-Jun-2010, 14:34
The Gulf Islands and Vancouver Island are about as close as it gets to paradise on earth in the summer.

Yes and apparently paradise can be bought:

:eek: http://www.liread.com/d1576a.htm

Jim

Frank_E
8-Jun-2010, 15:31
Frank,
We will be on Gabriola from July 16 until July 29. We are flying straight to Vancouver and taking a float plane to the island. Great connections this year, with a round trip flight directly from Charlotte, NC to Vancouver and back.

Sandy

PM Sent.

Scott Walker
8-Jun-2010, 18:23
I grew up in PoCo and learned to surf in Tofin, and just pulling into Nanaimo on the ferry (business but with LF gear in hand)

Andrew O'Neill
9-Jun-2010, 08:32
If I start mowing the lawn regularly, paint the house, mend the fence, make the back yard foot path, re-shingle the roof, then maybe my wife will let me go when all of you are there...

Scott, whereabouts in PoCo? What school did you go to?

Scott Walker
9-Jun-2010, 11:11
Scott, whereabouts in PoCo? What school did you go to?

I lived on Mary Hill, Denise Place to be exact. Went to Kilmer elementary and Mary Hill High

Andrew O'Neill
11-Jun-2010, 09:05
Trying to fit Gabriola Island into my schedule when you guys are there. Have to teach summer school for 3 weeks (that's how they punish us bad teachers), but will try to get there on that weekend...

Frank_E
11-Jun-2010, 09:34
Trying to fit Gabriola Island into my schedule when you guys are there. Have to teach summer school for 3 weeks (that's how they punish us bad teachers), but will try to get there on that weekend...

Andrew, just to be clear on my own plans
I will not be able to meet up with Sandy this trip...