PDA

View Full Version : sticky negatives

algarzai
4-Jun-2010, 03:43
Hi..
I have just started developing my 4x5 negatives on a jobo cpp 2 because not a single lab in Saudi Arabia now develops 4x5 :(
I am using
- ID-11 at recommended dilution time and temp
- water as stop bath. I pour half a liter in my jobo 2523 invert it 10 times then change water and give it 20 then 30 then 40
- ilford rapid fixer at recommended dilution, time and temp
- I pour half a liter in the tank and invert it 10 times then 20. then add about 5 - 10ml ilfotol wetting agent to 1 liter then pour half a liter in the tank and invert it 30 times then 40.
- then i hang them to dry

my problem is some negatives come out sticky! sometimes there is some honey-like substance left on them but not more than drops or a 1 cm line caused by a drop. aside from that everything seems fine.

what might be causing this stickiness?!

Joanna Carter
4-Jun-2010, 04:12
Far too much wetting agent!!!

Try about 5 drops.

algarzai
4-Jun-2010, 05:04
Far too much wetting agent!!!

Try about 5 drops.

I thought so.. I will use less wetting agent next time

Joanna Carter
4-Jun-2010, 05:13
I thought so.. I will use less wetting agent next time
I was being really serious about the 5 drops, you rarely need any more, with our water I usually use 2-3 drops.

The only reason I can think of for the recommended dosage is because they want to sell more wetting agent.:rolleyes: :eek:

Tom Monego
4-Jun-2010, 05:24
Wetting agent is the same stuff that foams in dishwashing detergent. You want just enough to keep the water from beading on your film, a few drops to a liter of water should be fine. You can rewash your sticky film and it should be OK.

Tom

algarzai
4-Jun-2010, 05:38
I was being really serious about the 5 drops, you rarely need any more, with our water I usually use 2-3 drops.

The only reason I can think of for the recommended dosage is because they want to sell more wetting agent.:rolleyes: :eek:

is it dependent on water? if so it might be better to start from 1 drop up until I get them again. this way i could know what is the threshold for our tab water.

Wetting agent is the same stuff that foams in dishwashing detergent. You want just enough to keep the water from beading on your film, a few drops to a liter of water should be fine. You can rewash your sticky film and it should be OK.

Tom

Thanks. I will rewash my film.

Joanna Carter
4-Jun-2010, 05:49
is it dependent on water? if so it might be better to start from 1 drop up until I get them again. this way i could know what is the threshold for our tab water.
Yes, soft water will make wetting agent foam quicker. If, when you wash your hands, the soap lathers quickly, then you have soft water and may need less wetting agent. As Tom says, rewash your film thoroughly and then see how many drops it takes to stop the streaking when you pull the film out of the final wash water.

Louie Powell
4-Jun-2010, 06:40
Wetting agents should be used very sparingly. Read the instructions on the bottle, and then dilute it with twice as much water as recommended.

The only thing in a darkroom that may last longer than PhotoFlo is Spotone. I've been running my own darkroom for more than 30 years, and I'm only half way through my second bottle of PhotoFlo.

Paul Metcalf
4-Jun-2010, 06:41
...and jobo recommends not using wetting agent in its tanks/system, as it will contribute to making everything a sticky mess which is a PITA to clean. Use the wetting agent - very dillute - in small trays after processing in jobo.

cyrus
4-Jun-2010, 09:19
You can avoid the entire wetting agent issue by a final rinse in distilled water. (DISTILLED not spring water.)

J D Clark
4-Jun-2010, 09:24
For my final rinse, I use 1-2 drops of LFN in distilled water in a separate tray. Works great.

John Clark
www.johndclark.com

Robert Hughes
4-Jun-2010, 11:51
I'd guess the water treatment systems there (Saudi Arabia) are dealing with either seawater or very hard groundwater for source, so have to do serious water softening. Perhaps it's interfering with your wetting agent or other photo chemical.

algarzai
7-Jun-2010, 10:19
Yes, soft water will make wetting agent foam quicker. If, when you wash your hands, the soap lathers quickly, then you have soft water and may need less wetting agent. As Tom says, rewash your film thoroughly and then see how many drops it takes to stop the streaking when you pull the film out of the final wash water.

thanks Joanna it worked .. i am ever so grateful

Wetting agents should be used very sparingly. Read the instructions on the bottle, and then dilute it with twice as much water as recommended.

The only thing in a darkroom that may last longer than PhotoFlo is Spotone. I've been running my own darkroom for more than 30 years, and I'm only half way through my second bottle of PhotoFlo.

wow 2 bottles in 30 years .. I did dilute it further .. it helped.

...and jobo recommends not using wetting agent in its tanks/system, as it will contribute to making everything a sticky mess which is a PITA to clean. Use the wetting agent - very dillute - in small trays after processing in jobo.

Yup .. I spent 15 minutes washing the tank and reels and it still foams

You can avoid the entire wetting agent issue by a final rinse in distilled water. (DISTILLED not spring water.)

problem solved .. thanks

For my final rinse, I use 1-2 drops of LFN in distilled water in a separate tray. Works great.

John Clark
www.johndclark.com

thanks

I'd guess the water treatment systems there (Saudi Arabia) are dealing with either seawater or very hard groundwater for source, so have to do serious water softening. Perhaps it's interfering with your wetting agent or other photo chemical.

I guess you are right. we do treat seawater for domestic use.

Wade D
8-Jun-2010, 03:50
I find that the well water from 1500 feet under my house is quite pure. A drop or two of wetting agent per liter is more than sufficient. There are test kits for water hardness and PH that are not too costly but in your case using distilled water would seem prudent and less expensive.