PDA

View Full Version : Polaroid equivalents...

Matt_1193
11-Apr-2002, 18:00
Is Polaroid Polacolor 100 (type 79) a good fit for exposure/color proofing for P rovia 100F and Velvia? Latitude acceptable?

Ellis Vener
11-Apr-2002, 18:43
it is about 1/3 to 1/2 stop faster than 100F and about 1 stop faster than Velvia. Color/ Just as provia 100F and velvia have different pallettes, so does Polaroid T79. It is close but it can hardly be called an exact match. itis a closer match to Astia, especially after the polaroid has 'cured' for a day or so. contrast match is pretty good. Polaroid proVivid (type 689, it is made by Fuji for Polaroid, unfortunately it isn't available in 4x5) is a better match to RDPIII and RVP. If you can find some 4x5 Fuji FP-100C this is a very good match. Try badger graphics if you are not in Japan or Europe. Fp110C and Type 689 are not the same, basically the base material is a different color and this affects the highlights.

But on the whole I have no problem using Type 79. Your RDPIII & RVP film will have better saturation.

Peter Shier
11-Apr-2002, 20:53
I agree with Ellis re the 'curing' phenomenon. What you see after peeling apart is not the final color. It is actually much nicer a few hours later. I find the same behavior with type 809 in 8x10 (same as type 59 in 4x5). I'd be curious to know why this happens.

Re speed, they rate it 100 but I find it does well with a little extra exposure (at least in the studio with strobes). I shot some 679 in the studio yesterday at 80 and the exposure was excellent.

Also, as a proof for Provia and Velvia, you might want to check how it does with longer exposures.

Matt_1193
12-Apr-2002, 00:11
Thanks for the info Ellis and co. I guess I'll take both holders along and bring the Polaroids too. Thanks again.

F. William Baker
12-Apr-2002, 04:57
I always rate either Fuji Provia or Agfa RSX at 80 ISO for the true speed. This from my pro lab for the last 5 years. When all else is concerned......either "snip" or bracket. Good Luck

F. William Baker