PDA

View Full Version : Hamburg, Esbjerg, Kobenhavn, Stockholm

Tim Meisburger
3-Jun-2010, 20:45
I will be on a family trip from June 7-28 visiting these cities and a bit of the surrounding countryside, and whenever I can escape from Legoland and Candyland etc., I'm hoping to drink beer...um..I mean.. shoot 4x5; ya, that's what I'm going to do, shoot 4x5. Any suggestions of sites along this route are appreciated.

Danke, Tim

RickV
3-Jun-2010, 21:00
From Stockholm, there are beautiful boat trips through the Mälaren archipelago to Björkö island where Birka, Sweden's first real town which was founded in the 9th century, is nestled. Very photogenic scenery and you can make the trip as un-touristy as you like.

Also, the old architecture in Gamla Stan, Stockholm is unique.

Enjoy the trip.

Tim Meisburger
3-Jun-2010, 22:10
Thanks Rick. I've been to Gamla Stan on business, and am looking forward to wandering around there with my family. The boat trip sounds perfect, and I'm sure we will do that.

Best, Tim

Per Madsen
3-Jun-2010, 22:53
If you are in Copenhagen take the train to Roskilde and visit the gotic cathedral.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roskilde_Cathedral

Struan Gray
4-Jun-2010, 00:04
What sort of things do you like to photograph?

I could spend years photographing the strip-farmed countryside around Legoland alone, but whitebeam hedges and turf farms are not everybody's cup of tea. Similarly, Copenhagen has architecture from the middle ages to the hyper-modern, and a gang war in the northern suburbs if you really like urban grit.

That said, my personal favourites among the the Danish and Swedish photogenic locations are the large number of C16th and C17th castles and palaces. The Royal ones in Stockholm and Copenhagen are in all the guides. My favourite is Gripsholm, a little way outside Stockholm. If you're driving from Copenhagen to Stockholm, see if you can swing by Vadstena, or take a loop through the glassworks country to Kalmar.

Tim Meisburger
4-Jun-2010, 03:12
Thanks Per. We will certainly visit Roskilde. And thank you Struan. when I am in europe I generally like to photograph old castles and cathedrals, so these are good suggestions. I would also be interested in northern hardwood forests, I think, if there are any of those along the route. I also like to photograph pubs with a bit of character, but can probably find them on my own...

Struan Gray
4-Jun-2010, 06:39
The road from Copenhagen up through Sweden to Stockholm passes through a lot of wooded country, including hardwoods, although the largest stands of non-coniferous trees are all in the south.

Here in Skåne there are two national parks famous for their hardwoods. Söderåsen, which has extensive beechwoods and some single old oaks scattered around it's edges; and Stenshuvud, which has unusually large stands of hornbeam, which can be magical in mid-summer (though hard to photograph well).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Söderåsen_National_Park
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stenshuvud_National_Park

We also have one of Europe's largest collections of 'tortuosa' beeches, called 'vresbok' locally: http://tinyurl.com/33nhjf8.

Were it me though, I would try to fit in a trip to Gotland. Visby is just plain gorgeous, and a target rich environment for any photographer. There are various famously beautiful woods and beaches, and some of the best remaining European wooded meadows, or 'löväng'.

PS: it is worth noting that although the cult of single old, or 'veteran' trees has reached Sweden, the country is fairly deficient in anything older than about 300 years. Partly due to the Nordic Wars of the C17th, but also a change in the law around then that permitted farmers and other landowners to harvest timber that previously had been reserved to the crown. Compared to, say, England or France, there are very very few fully mature trees.

badbluesman
13-Jun-2010, 16:25
Stockholm has some amazing cemeteries, especially the big, sprawling one to the north of the city. It can be reached by Tunnelbanna (subway). The gravestones and monuments are both surreal and sculptural; the landscaping is also surreal and impeccably maintained; the terrain is rolling hills with mature trees.

I second the Gamla Stan recommendation. Also try to get out to some islands in the archipelago. Consider going in winter and shooting at dawn, dusk, nightime, and in snow.

badbluesman
13-Jun-2010, 16:30
I forgot to add that the countryside around Uppsala contains some beautiful Viking rune stones, set among rolling grasslands, woods, and farms. Uppsala itself (about 45 minutes north by train) is also worthwhile, an old university town with many medieval buildings. Ingmar Bergman shot the exteriors for his autobiographical "Fanny och Alexander" there.