PDA

View Full Version : Please help me ID this 8x10 field camera

Mattk
3-Jun-2010, 14:54
Not very familiar with the vintage 8x10 field cameras and I hope someone can take on look and let me know. I see no markings on it anywhere. All the hardware minus a nut or knob is there (to control the tension on the front tilt). Sounds like a good winter project! It has rear tilt & shift and front rise/fall, tilt and shift. Found this in a old box when picking up and Elwood 8x10 for parts.

Thanks for the help.

Jim Galli
3-Jun-2010, 14:59
Not very familiar with the vintage 8x10 field cameras and I hope someone can take on look and let me know. I see no markings on it anywhere. All the hardware minus a nut or knob is there (to control the tension on the front tilt). Sounds like a good winter project! It has rear tilt & shift and front rise/fall, tilt and shift. Found this in a old box when picking up and Elwood 8x10 for parts.

Thanks for the help.

Thet rat thar is n Ansco.

Mattk
3-Jun-2010, 15:03
That took all of 5 minutes--Thanks Jim!

cdholden
3-Jun-2010, 18:26
Not to nitpick, but isn't this the Agfa Ansco? I believe the Agfa Ansco View cameras were from earlier years (20s/30s) and had a larger lensboard than the Ansco View cameras of the 1940s and 50s. Someone with more clue than I can jump in and share the date they changed and dropped "Agfa" from the name.
Over the years, they changed features. This one has a large lensboard and no front tilt. This would be more rigid for larger lenses than the newer model cameras they offered. Of the models with front tilt, some had one knob on the side of the lensboard. Some had two.
Regardless of name or age, if it locks down solid and has a respectable bellows, you've got a good camera on your hands.

Jim Galli
3-Jun-2010, 23:30
Yes, of course, Agfa - Ansco.

Mattk
4-Jun-2010, 05:39
Just after the post I noted that there is no front tilt--perhaps in the restoration some could be added?

Robert Hughes
4-Jun-2010, 09:22
Just after the post I noted that there is no front tilt--perhaps in the restoration some could be added?
You could give it a triple bypass too, but I think it's too late... besides, you'd be making it non-stock, hence less valuable on the collector market.

Jim Galli
4-Jun-2010, 10:36

Actually, the beauty of this early model is the large front panel and lens board, and the no swings which makes it sturdy enough to put very large fast lenses on that other cameras like Deardorff's cannot tolerate. People are looking for these to make a dedicated camera for big petzvals and other fast antique portrait lenses that have signatures impossible to get in other ways. You're lucky to have it.

Mattk
4-Jun-2010, 10:45
I'm not sure I'd trust the Pinkham on it until is all apart and verified securebut the lensboard will surely take it--hmmmm maybe an aero ektar.....

dsphotog
4-Jun-2010, 11:13
I have one of those cameras, very sturdy, & not too heavy.
Did you get the back with it?

Mattk
4-Jun-2010, 18:34
It actually came with one back on it, 4 more extra backs in various states, a small rapid rectilinear in a old modal shutter, 6 8x10 film holders, and 2 small packards. All because I asked "any other camera stuff you don't want". 10 bucks!

Jim Galli
4-Jun-2010, 19:34
Ha ha ah ha! Good for you. I could use a deal or two like that!