PDA

View Full Version : Correct way to use Polaroid back on Sinar P?

Darin Boville
2-Jun-2010, 17:24
O.K., am I missing something obvious?

I just bought a Sinar P and am having trouble figuring out how to use a Polaroid pack film back in vertical orientation.

If I load it with the film tabs up then the bulkier side of the holder won't fit. If I load it with film tabs down then the darkslide has to make a hairpin turn to slide out--and even harder to slide in. That can't be right.

What am I missing?

--Darin

Captain_joe6
3-Jun-2010, 21:37
Darin,

What film holder are you using? I know for sure that the Polaroid 545 and the new Fuji 4x5 pack holder will work just fine.

-Patrick

Captain_joe6
3-Jun-2010, 22:04
Darin,

So I've just spent a while looking at my 4x5 Sinar P, and I can't figure out what's going on for you. A picture may help.

I looked at my camera with the back both vertical and horizontal, and clearance should be fine, especially for vertical. The film tabs should be pointing up, as down is pointless in any event. We'll go over this point by point, just in case.

-Obviously, the darkslide should be on the side that faces the lens.

-As the Fuji PA-45 and the Polaroid 550 are essentially the same. Turn the back so that the holder inserts from the top, and insert the holder, skinny-side first and tabs pointing up. Shouldn't be a problem. Same goes for the Fuji PA-145 and Polaroid 405.

-If, by chance, you've got a Polaroid 545-series holder, give up. Film for that won't be available again until...well, perhaps never, and what's left will cost you almost as much as the camera is worth.

But generally, tabs up, and you should be fine. Pictures always help.

Frank Petronio
3-Jun-2010, 22:20
The Polaroid 405 and Fuji PA-145 usually go in so you have to pull the darkslide from the bottom and it it is a bit of a fussy unnatural bend you have to give it to have it clear - with just about any monorail when used vertically.

Darin Boville
3-Jun-2010, 23:14
All of the Polaroid/Fuji backs I have (Two Polaroid and one Fuji--I don't know which model numbers) have tabs on one side and the dark slide on the other--is there an instant back for the pack film that has them both on one side?

I've attached picts below. It looks like I'm just stuck with bending the darkslide--very awkward but I'll live. I guess in hindsight, when the P was in its prime most people used the single sheet Polaroids--no problem there. Sigh.

I shot a quickie pict of the Sinar P and comparison shots on the old-style Arca-Swiss 8x10 with 4x5 back, and a 4x5 Chamonix with instant backs--just happen to hav ethem out shooting right now--and they have wonderful clearance...

Does Sinar make a rotating back? That might be one solution for me...

--Darin

Struan Gray
3-Jun-2010, 23:55
I don't know of a rotating back where only the gg frame rotates. Horseman made a 4x5 rotating back which swaps the ground glass and a film holder for rapid portrait work. Sinar made sliding backs, which as a bonus integrate nicely with the Sinar Copal shutter (if you can live with the vibration :-)

Otherwise, you just have to work with wiggling out the darkslide. Adding equal rise to the front and rear standards can help.

Frank Petronio
4-Jun-2010, 00:04
You could always just turn the camera sideways.

Darin Boville
4-Jun-2010, 00:23
Adding equal rise to the front and rear standards can help.

No good on the P. The obstruction rises with the standard...

You could always just turn the camera sideways.

I've considered that. Think it will be stable? Right now I just have it attached to a set of (small) Bogen legs, no head. I'll put it on my Majestic but need to find a small screw to 3/8 screw adapter thingy...

Sigh. There is no perfect camera even setting aside the variables of size, cost, and weight!

--Darin

Captain_joe6
4-Jun-2010, 00:27
Ah, I see the dilemma now. I'm used to working with the larger pack film holders, which have the tabs and dakrslide on the same end. As others have mentioned, you can either live with the bend, or you can turn the camera sideways, which is a completely viable option given the Sinar's design with the rail clamp. There's even a bubble level on the rear standard to facilitate leveling in this position.

Personally, I'm a "go big or go home" kind of fellow, so my recommendation would be to ditch the small polaroid holders and their hassle, and use the money for a brand new Fuji PA-45, which is a beautiful piece of metal and plastic.

I do love making those lovely instant images, and having a little bit bigger one is really nice. That and knowing that the Fuji FP100B instant film is a dead-ringer for Acros 100, thats nice too.

But at least now you know you're not losing your grip on reality, and at least you have options. ;)

-Patrick "who really likes the way that other guy always signs his posts and is considering copying him ruthlessly" Cruzan

Darin Boville
4-Jun-2010, 00:40
>>my recommendation would be to ditch the small polaroid holders and their hassle, and use the money for a brand new Fuji PA-45, which is a beautiful piece of metal and plastic. <<

Ahhh, if only the damn film wasn't 3x more expensive!

I don't suppose any holder exists for the smaller pack film that has darkslides on the same side as the tabs?

--Darin

Struan Gray
4-Jun-2010, 00:59
A 5x7 conversion kit and a reducing back would be another solution. The P-conversion kits without any function carrier seem quite cheap, at least here in Europe.

AtlantaTerry
29-Jan-2014, 16:26
I don't know of a rotating back where only the gg frame rotates.

Cambo. I have a couple.

VictoriaPerelet
29-Jan-2014, 22:22
I use Fuji instant all the time with F2 and P2. Just turn camera 90deg sideways on the rail and use back in vertical position:)