PDA

View Full Version : 90mm lens options for Toyo 45CF?

MusashiX2
2-Jun-2010, 09:23
I want to be able to close my 45CF without having to take the lens off. This is really important to me. I love the Nikon 90mm f/4.5 but it is too big. Is the Nikon 90mm f/8 small enough to fit in the camera while folded? What other options are out there that can do this and have great sharpness?

Thank you.

Michael Jones
3-Jun-2010, 14:05
I doubt either Nikon will fit. If fitting within the camera is a major issue, I would consider the Rodenstock WA Geronar. It’s an odd little f8 lens mounted in a copal #1 shutter that needs a #3 hole. Its very flat, however. It's image circle offers few movements, but from my use of a 45CF, you don’t have much bellows flexibility at that length. It should allow you to close the camera with it mounted on a flat board.

Good luck.

Mike

BradS
3-Jun-2010, 15:22
The old Schneider 90mm f/6.8 Angulon would also certainly work. It is tiny!.

IanG
3-Jun-2010, 15:31
The old Schneider 90mm f/6.8 Angulon would also certainly work. It is tiny!.

If you're lucky enough to find a good one :D

They can be excellent, but some are quite pedestrian, and poor. My first bought in the 8-'s was awful and I can't understand why I bought another, but it was cheap, and second time lucky this one's excellent.

Only Angulons and early equivalents are going to fit when folded up.

Ian

BradS
3-Jun-2010, 16:49
If you're lucky enough to find a good one :D

They can be excellent, but some are quite pedestrian, and poor. My first bought in the 8-'s was awful and I can't understand why I bought another, but it was cheap, and second time lucky this one's excellent.

Only Angulons and early equivalents are going to fit when folded up.

Ian

Yes, the angulons seem to have suffered from a rather larger variation than it's peers. I often wonder if the variability was due to manufacturing practices or due to poor aging. I suspect the latter. The one I had was fantastic. I sometimes regret selling it.

IanG
4-Jun-2010, 03:12
Yes, the angulons seem to have suffered from a rather larger variation than it's peers. I often wonder if the variability was due to manufacturing practices or due to poor aging. I suspect the latter. The one I had was fantastic. I sometimes regret selling it.

There's quite a variation in the Compur shutter spacing, Dean Jones who makes Razzle Polaroid conversion cameras has measured quite a few, he thinks the cell spacing may be a major factor, to much and the quality drops off.

Ian

domaz
7-Jun-2010, 11:42
How much clearance do you have? The older Super Angulon 90mm f/8 in a #00 is probably the smallest "modern" wide angle design your going to get. Unless you can find the elusive 90mm Congo described on Kerry Thalmann's lightweight lenses site.