PDA

View Full Version : photographing cemeteries

h2oman
1-Jun-2010, 11:09
I follow all the image threads here, including the one on cemeteries. Last night I stopped along the way home from a weekend of recreating with my wife and friends to shoot a small church in the country. The others patiently read magazines for a bit, but when they coudn't take it any longer they started walking and told me to pick them up on the way when I was done.

I found them a half mile away, stuck wandering in a fascinating country cemetery. The light was exquisite and there were some very interesting headstones, so I made a couple images. I felt a bit conflicted about shooting headstones of people that I knew nothing about other than what I could read there, but the opportunity was too good to resist.

Today I got to thinking about the fact that I have seen VERY few shots of cemeteries or graves. Even two who I think would be strong candidates for making such images, Wright Morris and David Plowden, don't have shots of cemeteries.

So here is my question (finally!): Is there some sort of unspoken stigma about shooting cemetaries and/or individual graves? Any thoughts out there?

davemiller
1-Jun-2010, 11:21
None here, shoot away.

redrockcoulee
1-Jun-2010, 11:22
If there is I am totally unaware of it as my wife and I have photographed cemeteries for as long as we have done photography ( 30 plus years). Normally when I am photographing in a cemetery the workers just ignore me but have had one tell me about some of the more interesting grave sites and others nod and say hi.

Spent a very pleasant day at the New Jewish Cemetery in Prague and was totally welcomed by the people there and the Old Jewish Cemetery is loaded with tourists so thing there is nothing wrong with viewing headstones there can be nothing wrong with photographing them.

rdenney
1-Jun-2010, 11:50
Lots of old churches and cemeteries around here, and I've never had any reluctance to photograph either. It isn't as easy a subject as it seems like it ought to be, though.

Rick "who once made rubbings of headstones for an art class" Denney

Ash
1-Jun-2010, 11:54
I remember being younger, watching an after-show docu on Buffy, and Sarah Michelle Gellar said how uncomfortable she was shooting in graveyards, til she realised they were dead and alone...she was happy to shoot there thinking she wasn't disturbing them, more giving them some company.

Something like that.

I took cemetary shots when I first started taking pics but got bored of it very quick. I wasnt obsessed with it and eventually found it cliche.

That said, if you enjoy it, do it.

Heroique
1-Jun-2010, 12:00
...I felt a bit conflicted about shooting headstones of people that I knew nothing about other than what I could read there...

I think they enjoy our company. But not always, if you believe this incident:

“What is this ill-mannered tree thinking?” cemetery workers asked. “Does Eternal Rest mean nothing?”

(Me, I was thinking they had it backwards – it was the dead pushing-aside the tree.)

In any case, this situation was … well, let’s say “corrected” … and the tree learned a grave lesson in cemetery management. The romance of this scene is no more.

And the dead – what were they thinking?

“That’s what it was to be alive. To move about in a cloud of ignorance; to go up and down trampling on the feelings of those … of those about you. To spend and waste time as though you had a million years. To be always at the mercy of one self-centered passion, or another.” (Wilder’s Our Town.)

Tachi 4x5
Schneider XL 110mm/5.6
Polaroid Type 55
6 Sec. @ f22 (3-stop GND filter on lower portion!)
Epson 4990/Epson Scan

csant
1-Jun-2010, 12:20
I have not had any trouble shooting, or thinking to shoot cemeteries. But things were rather different on Svalbard, in the high arctic. I came across (I unfortunately had only my digital camera with me at that time) some open graves - there are plenty of those… Skeletons, naked or even dressed in rather well preserved clothes rests, are lying more or less visible and accessible. It was a very strong moment, and the temptation to photograph was very strong. But while I was focusing on the skeleton (lying under the stones covering the grave), a very odd feeling came over me - and I felt like an intruder, like somebody about to take a very private and intimate moment without having a right to do so. I don't really know what it was, some kind of respect, or the humbling feeling of looking at somebody that already was like I will be in several decades… But I shied away, I decided I had no right to take that photograph. I felt like respecting this final rest. All I could take away with me was the shot of the location itself… I can't think of a more beautiful place for the final rest. R.I.P.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3074/2786427894_24554f0b4c.jpg

Paul Metcalf
1-Jun-2010, 19:24
Some cemeteries may chase you out, for instance a cemetary in north Seattle, name starts with a "W." I had to be very covert (and quick) when shooting there. But I do tend to not show the names in the image if I can (using contrast if possible), so I must have some sort of stigma.

bvstaples
1-Jun-2010, 20:56
I was going to post a shot I recently took of a civil war vet's grave at Fort Rosecrans NC, but realized I shot it with a MF camera...but I don't believe it's taboo to shoot grave sites, unless you have some religious or spiritual inclination not to.

Brian

J Ney
1-Jun-2010, 22:00
Regarding cemeteries as a whole, I don't think there is an issue at all.

Regarding individual graves, I'm sure it is just stating the obvious, but as long as it is done respectfully then I don't think there is a major issue.

Both my brother & grandfather are buried at Arlington Nat'l Cemetery and I've seriously considered shooting their graves (especially as I don't often have a chance to visit them). If I were to do it (and I hope to some day), I would likely throw the names on surrounding tombstones out of focus. To put it another way... I would ask what the subject of your picture is, and what are you trying to convey? What is the significance of being able to read the names off the tombstones?

I would throw it out there as a creative challenge to effectively photograph a cemetery in a way that does not capture the names of the deceased unless the names of the deceased are in some way the subject of the photograph. If anyone could do this effectively, it would most assuredly be LF photographers that can control nearly every aspect of the image.

I'm sure most disagree with me, but thats just my thought.

Ty G
1-Jun-2010, 23:03
It all boils down to intentions; if your intentions are good and respectful, then nothing to worry about. Also, most all of the graves you will want to make images of are going to be the old ones that are not visited by family and friends. It would be a bit odd if you were making an image of a new grave and someone came with flowers.

I do wet plate collodion and I was set up at an old historic cemetery in Jefferson Texas. I have been there several times and learned that it is very haunted, so says. Different areas have their own "appearances/wierd happenings". Anyway, I set up to do the last shot of the day, and for a lens shade I use a pretty thick piece of metal about 1 foot x 1 foot. I get the camera focused and ready, then just without really thinking, I say aloud, "Ok, just don't f*** with my camera." I lay that metal lenshade on a headstone right next to me and I go to the darkbox to prepare the plate, then come out with the plateholder to the camera. Not a breeze felt and my darkcloth is still draped over the camera, yet I cannot find the metal lenshade. I go back to the darkbox thinking I brought it there, nope. I go back to the camera looking for it and find it about 20 feet away on the ground. It had to pass by three headstones to get where it was and there was no one else in the cemetery. If a breeze came by strong enough to knock the piece of metal 20 feet, then it would also have surely moved or blown the darkcloth laid across the camera.

That my story and I'm swearing by it.

Eirik Berger
1-Jun-2010, 23:23
I agree with the others, as long as you do it respectfully there is no big problem. On the orther hand, when I visited the jewish cemetery in Prague with LF-equipment, I felt like I intruded some private boundaries. It is a tourist attraction and of course have a lot of visitors, but I was the only one rigging up tripod/camera to photograph the very old stones. The point is that I tried to take up as little space as possible, and to somewhat "blend" in.

When it comes to individual stones and names, I have never made images where they show anyway so I have not reflected enough over that. If it is done in a nice way and in the proper context, like the images in the other thread, I donīt see the problem.

Since csant and I enjoy photographing in the same territory :) I have also come across ancient graves, the oldest probably dutch or british whalers from the 17th century. The permafrost has over the years forced the remains up into the open and exposed. I must admit that I have taken pictures of some of these, but I have never published them. The documentarist inside me could not resist

Last summer I visited the grave of three Norwegian hunters that starved to death in 1909. No big stone, just pieces of wood framing the grave. The exciting thing about Svalbard is that you might come across unknown graves if you just travel enough around. This one was re-discovered in 1984, and with a lot of research it could be connected to the story of the three hunters. Due to its extremely remote location and the fact that it is not easy to spot made us probably the second visitors in a hundred years. With that perspective I felt that I honored the dead by making images of their place of rest. I have not scanned the negs yet, so no images sorry.

dsphotog
1-Jun-2010, 23:58
The first image I made with my 8x10 Deardorff was in a historic cemetery, lots of interesting textures, shapes, light & shadow.
It's a natural for LF.
As far as offending anyone... It seems to me, that a photograph would help to preserve & celebrate the life & memory of those that have gone before us.
I hope someone would someday find my headstone "filmworthy".
Happy shooting!

George E. Sheils
2-Jun-2010, 01:07
I have recently started a project (using a pinhole zone plate on 6x6) which looks at the way we in Ireland have treated our dead down through the centuries in a study on burial grounds in County Clare on the west coast.

The project will be lengthy as it involves not only looking at modern burial grounds and the re-introduction of crematoria but also the use of dolmens, passage graves, megalithic tombs and other places where some 3,000-5,000 years ago the ashes of the dead were placed to ensure a favourable afetr-life.

To answer the OP's question...no, I have thus far found no objection to my picture taking. In fact quite the opposite - most people have been very helpful and friendly and have suggested different burial grounds, graves and other locations that I should visit.

Btw, using a zone plate on LF or MF will yield soft images which render more shape than detail which is good to preserve anonymity and convey mood. Not everyone's cup of tea but I like the effect.

Anyway, here's a few images that I have taken so far...

John Kasaian
2-Jun-2010, 06:44
Cemetaries can be delightful places to shoot!

The issues I face are:1)Respect for family members. On historic old graves this is less of an issue but on fresh ones, I'll pass.

And 2) Keeping from (or resisting) the temptation to photograph a cliched image, which is all too easy to do.

h2oman
2-Jun-2010, 10:02
Thanks for all the replies. It looks like the greatest danger might be disrespecting the deceased by creating an image of poor quality, always a danger for me! In that case I'll have the local waste management company give the negatives a proper burial.

I'm probably developing my film in the next day or two, so look for a possible post in the image thread on cemeteries.

Gerry Meekins
3-Jun-2010, 10:49
Ansel has a nice shot of a Moonrise over one. I'd say go for it.

QT Luong
3-Jun-2010, 12:46
Last year, as I was driving in New Mexico, I spotted a cemetery on the side of the road. Under the dark clouds, the bright colors of flowers stood out.

As the gate was locked, I parked in front of it, and shot a few images from over the fence. A sheriff's car arrived. The officer told me that what I had done was really bad, and that it must have been hurtful to the people in the village which must surely had been watching me from their homes. Since he appeared genuinely angry, and I did not want a confrontation, I apologized several times, but he kept giving me a hard time, talking to me as if I had committed a crime, before eventually letting me go.

I nevertheless published the image (http://www.terragalleria.com/america/new-mexico/new-mexico-misc/picture.usnm44123.html), I still photograph cemeteries, but this incident, combined with the prohibition of photography in some sacred places, had me wonder whether whether there is something intrinsically disrespectful about photography.

jp
3-Jun-2010, 13:40
I think some people's perception of stigma or being uncomfortable photographing in a cemetery is in some cases their own aversion of facing or dealing with death or their uncertainties about it.

I haven't used LF in a cemetery, only MF and digital B&W IR & color.
http://www.f64.nu/gallery2007/view_album.php?set_albumName=album96

Personally, I'm fascinated by the history, the typefaces and religious symbolism on stones, the variety of stone designs. I'm also curious about the untold stories; why did this person die at such a young age, how did this person's beliefs differ from mine, what was important to this person? I think other people are interested in some of these things too and are interested in the content of cemetery photos. It's a trip back in time.

In a less documentary perspective, toward a finer art perspective, the shapes and stones and arrangements can make some mighty fine compositions of lines and shapes. Trees and stones can provide nice shadows. That said, I have no interest in hanging a photo on my wall of a cemetery scene in an art for art's sake sense.
Maybe a macro of some typeface or skull or an aerial including a cemetery, but I'm not interested in framing cemetery scenics for my home.

John Kasaian
3-Jun-2010, 16:38
QT's experience is worth contemplating. Cultures should be respected and I can see how on a Rancheria or Pueblo where the local culture is endagered by secular modernity that the residents might feel that a stranger photographing their ancestors graves is a bit of a transgression.
I wouldn't want to have to explain myself to the Tribal Police!

Greg Blank
3-Jun-2010, 18:32
I photograph in cemeteries a lot, I get different mental impressions of them at different times. I believe that if you are open to it you can sense or "see" something about them or lets say the collective memory that has been imposed on them. Not sure I would say it was lingering spirits. If one was looking for that sort of thing battle fields present better hunting-haunting "Maybe".

In general I get a great sense of peace photographing in cemeteries, I guess it could be the time of day influence. But sometimes their are things that just don't seem right.

http://www.gbphotoworks.com/cemeterytree.html

Of the cemeteries I have photographed there seems to be one denomination that I always find a peaceful sense...though I am not "organized" religous and am not affliated with that church.

I follow all the image threads here, including the one on cemeteries. Last night I stopped along the way home from a weekend of recreating with my wife and friends to shoot a small church in the country. The others patiently read magazines for a bit, but when they coudn't take it any longer they started walking and told me to pick them up on the way when I was done.

I found them a half mile away, stuck wandering in a fascinating country cemetery. The light was exquisite and there were some very interesting headstones, so I made a couple images. I felt a bit conflicted about shooting headstones of people that I knew nothing about other than what I could read there, but the opportunity was too good to resist.

Today I got to thinking about the fact that I have seen VERY few shots of cemeteries or graves. Even two who I think would be strong candidates for making such images, Wright Morris and David Plowden, don't have shots of cemeteries.

So here is my question (finally!): Is there some sort of unspoken stigma about shooting cemetaries and/or individual graves? Any thoughts out there?

Robert Hughes
4-Jun-2010, 10:15
I've shot in a few cemeteries over the years, but nowadays don't see the attraction. It's a little too morbid a fascination to me, like taking photos of car accidents or suicides.

h2oman
4-Jun-2010, 11:02
For whatever it is worth, I've decided to be done with cemeteries unless it is an element in a larger scene. I realized that I wouldn' hang a cemetery image on my wall, and I'm not really interested in making images I wouldn't perhaps hang in my own home. Visually, small parts (including individual headstones) are quite interesting, but a photo of a headstone of someone I didn't know (or whose living relatives I don't know) is kind of like a portrait of someone I don't know. I can appreciate it, but it has no personal meaning to me.

georg s
4-Jun-2010, 11:11
Cemeteries - especially older ones - are places with a rich fauna and flora, pleasant quietness and sometimes surprising buildings for me.
I was talking with the manager of the local cemetery today and he was proud of the birdlife on his burial ground - there are even periodic ornithological guidances.
I think cemeteries have a lot to offer for photographers - not just graves.
If I shoot (rarely) individual gravestones it's because I have a weak spot for old-fashioned craftsmanship - some old gravestones here are truly stonemason-masterpieces.

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/5356/columbarium20100603a800.jpg (http://img404.imageshack.us/i/columbarium20100603a800.jpg/)

...Columbarium - a cemetery-shot without tombstones...

Andrew O'Neill
5-Jun-2010, 07:47
First Nations up here don't want people photographing their graves sites.

tom thomas
19-Jul-2010, 16:10
Your grave photos can greatly help people today find their missing ancestors. Genealogy is also one of my hobbies and grave photos are highly prized by those hunting for long lost family. Having a photo of a tombstone adds closure to a person's history and shows that they actually existed, not just as an entry on an old census form somewhere.

There is at least one web site devoted to this: www.findagrave.com which allows anyone to join and to contribute grave photos from their collections. I've attached a couple to give you an idea.

The first is the stone of my gr-gr-gr-grandmother who rests in Missouri today. My uncle (97 years old today) took this photo 50 years ago when he tripped over her stone while hunting for family and a rainstorm started. He feels that it was fate that led him to find her.

The other three I took while visiting the US Marines Cemetery at Belleau Woods in France. The marines rest in US soil which was transported to France for their cemetery. Their graves are carefully tended today by French workers.

I felt drawn to the grave of John Statton and compelled to take the photo. I've spent several hours hunting for his possible survivors to share the photo with. No luck. From census documents, I believe he was an only child who died at age 19 or so without any heirs.

The last photo speaks too loudly of our county's sacrifice for world peace.

If you have time, please try to take some tombstone photos, visit the Findagrave website, and contribute. Someone will really thank you for your work. I've even found family this way.

When we go to Domazan, France this September to live for 3 months, I hope to be able to access the village cemetery so I can photograph and catalog the graves there. Some date back to the 14th Century. I will ask permission of course.

Tom Thomas

Jim collum
19-Jul-2010, 20:22
From a Pet Cemetery, taken with the Betterlight & an HBH Petzval lens

http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/files/1/2/20100705_petcemetery_012a.jpg

http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/files/1/2/20100705_petcemetery_023a.jpg

http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/files/1/2/20100705_petcemetery_021a.jpg

http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/files/1/2/20100705_petcemetery_019a.jpg