PDA

View Full Version : Help! What are these tube thingys on my Eastman No. 2?

Gordon Coale
31-May-2010, 20:44
There are these 4 tube like clips on my Eastman No. 2. What do they do? They are an after market thing. There are grooves at each end of the tube on all 4 of them. Is there some reason to put them back after cleaning the camera up? I've never seen anything like this. Any information on their function would be appreciated.

Jon Wilson
31-May-2010, 21:06
Are they possibly used with metal rods to provide added support for the extended camera? Jon

rknewcomb
1-Jun-2010, 05:57
Probably hold a thin metal rod that goes up and over from one side to the other, and also out in front of the camera. You drape a black cloth over this rod arrangement to form a shade for the lens.
The other thing I've seen that looks somewhat like yours is a small brass tube shaped clip - usually on the rear standard. They are used to hold the darkcloth on.

Scott Davis
1-Jun-2010, 06:35
My guess would be darkcloth supports for the rear, and for the front, they could be part of a copy setup - I've seen some odd contraptions mounted to the front of a studio camera before that would enable the mounting of various reflectors and frames to do 1:1 copying of flat art at a constant focus distance.

Mattk
1-Jun-2010, 08:47
My Century Studio camera has them and came with a wire device to support the darkcloth. They are also on the front of the camera and can provide shade to the lens to avoid flare.

Mark Sawyer
1-Jun-2010, 11:21
My Century Studio camera has them and came with a wire device to support the darkcloth. They are also on the front of the camera and can provide shade to the lens to avoid flare.

My Semi-Centennial Stand has a bottle opener on the side. Much more practical...

Mattk
1-Jun-2010, 11:23
My Semi-Centennial Stand has a bottle opener on the side. Much more practical...

Nice--I was wondering what to do with all that fancy iron work!

Jim Galli
1-Jun-2010, 12:44
Those are for aerial photography. You put leads from all 4 into a lighter than air device such as a helium balloon and it holds the camera at about the right tilt. Shutter tripped electrically through the retrieval cordage.