PDA

View Full Version : Gabriele Basilico Fans - book?

tim atherton
9-Apr-2002, 18:57
Do any of the fans of (LF photographer)Gabriele Basilico happen to know if "City scapes" and "Nelle Altre Citta" are the same book, just Italian and English publ ications?

I only properly came across Basilicos work in the last few months and it's amazi ng - blows me away. Images stick in my mind..

tim a

Walter Glover
10-Apr-2002, 08:13
Tim,

Welcome to the delights of Basilico ? a hero for me.

In the Bibliography of Cityscapes under the sub-head "Books and Catalogues by Gabriele Basilico" there is a listing for 'Nelle altre citt?, Art&, Undine, 1998. Text by Gabriele Basilico. 77 black-and-white photographs.' This would suggest that it is another publication altogether since Cityscapes has 367 photographs and no text by Basilico but a dialogue between G.B. and Filippo Maggia dated 24 may 1999.

If you have not seen it already, might I suggest you track down a copy of "Venezia_Marghera" published by Edizioni Charta. ISBN: 88-8158-128-0 which is an archive study of Marghera the port city near Venice. There were some 15 'art' photographers including Basilico, Olivo Barbieri and Walter Niedermayr. An absolute gem!

Walter Glover

Jimmy Peguet
10-Apr-2002, 09:01
As Walter said, these are different books. "Nelle altre citta" has been published by Art&, from Udine in Italy, with 77 photographs, "Cityscapes" by Baldini & Castoldi in Italy and Thames & Hudson in GB in 1999, with 367 photographs and an introduction by Alvaro Siza (I don't remember the dialog).

miguel_1286
12-Apr-2002, 05:39
Nelle altre citta has larger reroductions, and in my view better printed. The other two great books by Basilico published by Art& are "La sperienza dei luoghi" and "Porti di mare".

Walter Glover
12-Apr-2002, 13:59
Thank you Miguel,

I shall look into those also.

Happy days,

Walter Glover