PDA

View Full Version : Ebony Cameras Contact Details?

joshdaskew
31-May-2010, 00:01
Hi, Was hoping someone could help me. I have tried reaching someone at ebony a number of times without any response!! In the past, any queries have been answered quickly and effectively.

This is my original email

"Hi Hiromi, I am interested in purchasing the SW45SIII as I have read that it is the best camera that is suitable for shooting film and then also attaching a digital back. Is this correct? The other question I have is whether or not it would be possible to have some type of extending back custom made that would enable me to shoot in the 5 x 7 format? I realise that this is a strange request but I travel a lot and I have used this format for a while now to give me a drop in depth between subject and back ground in portraits, that I cannot quite get in the 5 x 4 format.. It would basically provide me with an all in one setup, digital, 54 and 57.. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!! Best Regards Josh"

Just wondering if anyone else knows if it would be possible to have a 5 x 7 extending back for this camera? What obstacles would lay in the way?

5x4 is my main format so I don't really want to buy another camera just for a fairly specific purpose..

Also, would a 8 x 10 back be possible or is that just getting silly?

The other question I had was whether anyone had ever used this camera with a digital back, and if so, how much rise they get with the wide angle digital lenses? 35mm/28mm or so? I would have imagined the bellows would be extremely tight by that stage? I did read the article by Richard Sexton on using Ebony's with digital backs but don't recall him mentioning that specifically...

Ok, thanks so much. Best Regards Josh

B.S.Kumar
31-May-2010, 01:01
Josh,

I've not used an Ebony, but the lack of geared movements might not make it an ideal platform for a digital back, particularly with wide angle lenses. I use a Betterlight and a Hasselblad digital back with a Sinar X, and earlier with a Sinar F2 and Cambo WideDS. While the Cambo was a delight, the lack of tilt/swing, the limited number of lenses, and the lack of close focusing without cumbersome workarounds made me give it up. The F2 can be used, but the lack of precision in movements was enough to make me buy an X. I still use the F2 with the Betterlight and film.

The new Linhof Techno and Arca M Line and RL3D/RM3D are supposed to be the best view cameras for digital, and can also be used for film.

And if you're looking for a digital 35mm lens, shoot me a PM or email through the forum.

Cheers,
Kumar

joshdaskew
31-May-2010, 20:02
Hi, Thanks so much for that response, much appreciated! Hmmmm, maybe it is a case of having two different cameras for the job. The problem as I see it, is that I still use the 5 x 4 camera for portraits and this has such a fine focusing point that I am not sure how that would go with these other cameras. Do any of them use a traditional ground glass or are they all heliciol focusing? (which I have never used). Thanks again. Anyone out there been in contact with ebony recently?

Jack Dahlgren
31-May-2010, 21:11
Hi, Thanks so much for that response, much appreciated! Hmmmm, maybe it is a case of having two different cameras for the job. The problem as I see it, is that I still use the 5 x 4 camera for portraits and this has such a fine focusing point that I am not sure how that would go with these other cameras. Do any of them use a traditional ground glass or are they all heliciol focusing? (which I have never used). Thanks again. Anyone out there been in contact with ebony recently?

I sent them a message and got an answer about a month or so ago.
This is the address I got from their website.
hiromi@ebonycamera.com

joshdaskew
1-Jun-2010, 06:57
Hi, Thanks for the response.. Yep, that is the email I sent it to and in the past have received a response but this time no luck at all.. Hmmm, very strange indeed! Oh well, might have to look at other options as there is no where to see them in my home city. I am actually leaving to go to Japan in a few days and was hoping to see one there.. I might be in the UK at some point after that, so hopefully I can get down to Robert White and check one out..