PDA

View Full Version : Flare, LF or lens problem?

engl
30-May-2010, 12:57
Im new to large format. Im hoping to use my Crown Graphic with a Fujinon NW 125/5.6 (multicoated) for some night time urban photography. After shooting the picture below, Im a bit concerned that including streetlights might lead to serious flare...

Are large format lenses in general more prone to flare than smaller format lenses? Is the problem this specific lens? Bright light sources in the frame should of course be avoided, but Ive not had problems like this before.

Gem Singer
30-May-2010, 13:49
Looks like multiple interior reflections of the aperture off of the surfaces of the lens elements.

Are you using any type of filter on the lens? If so, don't use one.

Use a lens hood, and make sure the lens elements are clean and free from defects.

I've never experienced flare like that, and I've used many large format lenses under similar circumstances.

engl
30-May-2010, 14:20
Looks like multiple interior reflections of the aperture off of the surfaces of the lens elements.

Are you using any type of filter on the lens? If so, don't use one.

Use a lens hood, and make sure the lens elements are clean and free from defects.

I've never experienced flare like that, and I've used many large format lenses under similar circumstances.

Thank you for your reply. I myself have not seen anything quite like this either. I did not use any filters at the time (I know they can cause issues). I did not use a hood, but Im pretty sure it would not have affected flare since the light sources are in the frame.

The lens elements are perfectly clean now, but there was a light mist when I took that photo, I wonder if there was possibly some water/condensation or something on the lens at the time? It sounds a bit far out...

georg s
30-May-2010, 14:56
I would bet on something like raindrops on your lens. My LF-experience is limited but I got this kind of ghosting while shooting (35mm) in the rain (or shooting soccer-players celebrating the victory with sparkling wine).

Gem Singer
30-May-2010, 15:09
The light mist when you made the photograph is probably the culprit.

Water vapor on the lens elements can cause that type of effect.

Peter K
30-May-2010, 15:09
Im new to large format. Im hoping to use my Crown Graphic with a Fujinon NW 125/5.6 (multicoated) for some night time urban photography. After shooting the picture below, Im a bit concerned that including streetlights might lead to serious flare...
If the light of a bright source hits the surface of a lens in a certain angle, the border angle of total reflexion, you will always get such flare images of the aperture. Multicoating only helps to get sharp images of the aperture pictures.

This can only avoided by moving the camera etc. Or used as a creative effect as often seen in movies and TV.

GPS
30-May-2010, 15:25

Lens hood only helps eliminate light that is coming from out of the lens view angle. For a light source fully present in the lens view it doesn't do anything.

Gem Singer
30-May-2010, 15:36
GPS,

Read the second half of my statement.

After 64 years of photographing. I am well aware of the function of a lens hood.

Extraneous light can come from anywhere during a night shot. A lens hood will help to limit the incoming light to the light on the subject.

For example, TV cameras always use a lens hood.

It helps to prevent passing car lights, a flash light etc. from affecting the shot.

GPS
30-May-2010, 15:42
Gem, I read your statement. Although "light come from anywhere during a night shot" it was not the case in the presented picture. No lens hood would remove the reflection from it. If you're interested in giving advice about things not related to the OP problem, do so, write at your will...

Gem Singer
30-May-2010, 16:08
I didn't state that a lens hood will remove the type of flare that the OP is experiencing.

I said it can prevent that type of flare.

Kevin Thomas
30-May-2010, 17:08
I agree with GS in that using a lens hood for night shoots helps guards against flare from extraneous light sources. It would also give some protection to the lens against light drizzle (UK term for light rain/mist) which may be the cause of the flare in this case.

As for the question about LF lenses compared to other format lenses handling of flare in my experience my LF lenses are the equal if not superior.

If you can I would shoot the same scene again on a dry night and compare the results. As GPS asserted the flare seems to originate from the light sources in the shot and hopefully the results should be different.

Peter K
30-May-2010, 17:39
It would also give some protection to the lens against light drizzle (UK term for light rain/mist) which may be the cause of the flare in this case.

Drizzle can only add some diffuse flare by diffraction in the water dropplets but images of the diaphragm are only produced inside the lens.

engl
30-May-2010, 19:41
Thanks for all the replies!

Im fairly certain it is not due to not using a hood, since there were no other light sources except the two in the frame. Rain/mist being the culprit seems possible but not certain.

I tried just setting up a bare bulb in my dark living room and looking at (and shooting with a DSLR) the scene on the ground glass. I could see none of the funky aperture shapes around the light source, but there was a very strong standard greenish lens flare. It stood out as a glowing ball, compared to the faint bright spot that my DSLR produced with either of two zoom lenses mounted, framing the same picture.

As the spot where I took the picture in the original post is very close to my house, Ill guess Ill go back on a dry night and see if the rain/mist caused the strange visible aperture shapes around the light. Usually Id not be too concerned about flare, Ill use a hood and just not shoot into the sun, but now I know there will be streetlights in the pictures I hope to take so Id rather know if my lens has a flare problem.

Helen Bach
31-May-2010, 04:33
I suspect that it is mostly caused by small water droplets behaving like point light sources on (or near) the front of the lens, and hence forming very out-of-focus images that look like the aperture.

Ghost images of the aperture caused by internal reflections are not usually so disorganised.

Best,
Helen

ic-racer
31-May-2010, 11:10
Any haze on the inner elements?

engl
26-Aug-2010, 10:05
Im just updating this post to say that I have now used the lens for a while and I have never again seen anything like the flare in that one picture. Probably it was due to moisture on the front element. The lens does not seem to be excessively prone to flare, I have had strong light sources in the picture with no problem.