PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Select a Fujinon 150mm f/5.6

Peter York
30-May-2010, 11:49
Hi all,

I will be acquiring a fujinon 150mm f/5.6 in the near future. I'm choosing this as an all-around 150mm lens because it has very good coverage and is less expensive than a Sironar-S. I need help, though, in picking the right version. A link here lists four:

http://members.aol.com/subgallery/byfl.html

What I want is an EBC coated lens (CM-W or NW?), and beyond that I want the lighter version UNLESS there is a significant difference in the age/quality of the shutter or coverage. Do any of you know the weight of the NW version? The CM-W is listed as 280 grams on the 4x5 lens chart posted at the LF Home Page, but I cannot find a weight for the NW version.

Finally, can I determine the version based on filter size alone, or do I have to get into the inside/outside lettering and coating reflection game?

Thanks!

Lachlan 717
30-May-2010, 12:48
Just go for a later model, one with the lettering on the outside of the barrel.

You won't go too far wrong with it.

Weight differences between the model will not be much; they're smallish lenses regardless of model.

David Karp
30-May-2010, 12:50
The CM-W uses 67mm filters. My 150mm NW uses 52mm filters. The lettering outside the barrel and smaller than 67mm indicates NW. Lettering on the inside front of the barrel indicates single coated W series. I have no idea how heavy my 150mm NW is, but it is small and light.

Gem Singer
30-May-2010, 12:58
Peter,

Choose a Fujinon lens labeled f5.6 150W, with the white lettering on the outer surface of the lens barrel.

Even though a Fujinon lens is labeled "W", it can still be an "NW". ("NW" stands for New Version).

If the lettering is on the front lens retaining ring, surrounding the front lens element, the lens is not EBC coated.

Fujinon CM-W lenses are EBC coated and plainly labeled CM-W on the outer surface of the front element lens barrel.

The 150 f5.6 CM-W is mounted in a Copal 0 shutter, takes 67mm screw-in filters, and has a 223mm image circle.

The 150 f5.6 NW is in a Copal 0, takes 52mm screw-in filters, is EBC coated, and has a 224mm image circle. It is a lighter weight 6-element lens than the CM-W.

The older f5.6 W is in a Seiko 0 shutter, takes 46mm screw-in filters, is single coated, and has a 245mm image circle. Nice light weight 6-element lens if you can find one.

There is a much older f6.3 150W in a Seiko 0 shutter that takes 40.5mm filters, is single coated, and has a 198mm image circle. It is a tiny a 4-element lens. Very light weight and very rare.

Peter York
30-May-2010, 13:03
Thanks for the info. Yes, I'm splitting hairs on the weight here, but since this lens will end up in a backpacking kit, I have to ruthless (I know it is heaver than other options, but I'm also sacrificing less weight for more coverage).

Best,

ic-racer
30-May-2010, 19:11
Just go for a later model, one with the lettering on the outside of the barrel.

You won't go too far wrong with it.

Weight differences between the model will not be much; they're smallish lenses regardless of model.

Agree. I have one with a black shutter. It was inexpensive, its multicoated, its relatively light. It is very sharp, and has more coverage than my camera. I love it.

John Berry
2-Jun-2010, 06:55
Don't overlook the plus of having one with the lettering INSIDE (AKA single coated)

engl
2-Jun-2010, 07:10
Don't overlook the plus of having one with the lettering INSIDE (AKA single coated)

I think you forgot to say what the plus is!

ic-racer
2-Jun-2010, 12:10
I think you forgot to say what the plus is!

Certainly the 210 and 250 with the inner lettering have much bigger image circles than those with the outer lettering. I'm also curious as to what you know about the 150??

Mick Fagan
6-Jun-2010, 05:35
H'mmm, I have two of those tiny Fujinon•W f/6.3/150 lenses.

I'm not sure if they are that rare. I live down under and I decided to get another for a Razzle camera I was having built, took me about 4 weeks to find one. Got it off this forum actually.

They are really small, really light and really good.

I have no clue as to what the plus is though, maybe some enlightenment would be nice?

Mick.

jonathan_lipkin
7-Aug-2010, 17:20
Does anyone have a recommendation for a lens shade for a 150mm f/5.6? Or should I simply shade the lens with a flag when making the exposure??