PDA

View Full Version : Solution for removing Jobo Expert lid

Rick Russell
29-May-2010, 09:46
Prior to and since acquiring a Jobo 3010 I have been trying to come up with a solution to remove the Jobo lid after processing. Certainly the manly approach suggested by my friend Michael Gordon, pulling it off with my fingers would be the most economical, but clearly my fingers are not strong enough: maybe because I'm not a rock climber like Michael.

I performed a search for the Jobo foot pump, which is impossible to find and overpriced. Ultimately I decided to buy a foot pump and attach a rubber stopper to fit on the Jobo lid. Yesterday I went to Walmart to purchase the foot pump, but they didn't have one. Instead I purchased a "Plunge-It", a toliet/sink plunger sold in Walmart's plumbing department for $9.97. The Plunge-It is an air powered plunger and includes 2 tips. Utilizing the smaller tip on my Jobo, it works great! Plunge-It is an economical, effective solution for removing the Jobo Expert lid after processing, and I recommend it highly. :)

Rick Russell
richardrussell-1@ca.rr.com

bob carnie
29-May-2010, 10:17
Simple solution
wrap paper towel around hose end with water at proper temp, place into lid and fill up and allow the pressure of water to lift off the lid, works way better than the silly foot pump, almost lost some teeth years ago using the dam foot pump.
make sure that water only goes into the tank , takes about 10 seconds.
have fun and keep your teeth.

Jay DeFehr
29-May-2010, 11:07
I just blow into mine with my mouth; the drum drops right off. If you try this, be sure to hold the drum an inch or two off the surface, so that it has somewhere to go when it releases. If the drum is sitting on a surface, the lid will release upwards and give you a fat lip.

bob carnie
29-May-2010, 14:43
I don't know if you have been described as a blow hard or not but what a set of pipes.

I just blow into mine with my mouth; the drum drops right off. If you try this, be sure to hold the drum an inch or two off the surface, so that it has somewhere to go when it releases. If the drum is sitting on a surface, the lid will release upwards and give you a fat lip.

Jay DeFehr
29-May-2010, 15:01
Hahahhahahha! It's actually very easy to do; I was surprised, myself. Give it a try!

Eric Woodbury
29-May-2010, 15:11
I use water pressure same as Bob. All of these methods work easier if you run a little warm water over the top first. Not too hot, you don't want to crack it, but the warmth makes the top bigger.

bob carnie
29-May-2010, 15:42
I think I will keep to the water method thanks.

Hahahhahahha! It's actually very easy to do; I was surprised, myself. Give it a try!

John Powers
29-May-2010, 16:35

Have you thought about the chemicals that also go through that hole you are wrapping your lips about?

Then there was the student that knew which tongs went in which tray by the taste.

Some how I made it to 70 with all the stupid things I did. Just keep on, keepin on.

John

Jay DeFehr
29-May-2010, 17:54
John, I don't usually pop the top until the film is processed and washed, and I don't wrap my lips about anything. Even if it was full of chems, I doubt my brief contact would be as dangerous as the average encounter with a Big Mac, or Coca Cola.

eric black
30-May-2010, 11:06
I use the pump that came with the pilates ball my wife uses for exercise-it is essentially the same thing as the jobo pump once you get a cork and adapt it to fit the end of the expert drum.

tgtaylor
30-May-2010, 11:38
Just thinking out loud here but maybe you could rig-up a bicycle tube valve in a wine bottle cork and use your bicycle pump with one hand on the pump and the other on the top of the tank. Should work.

IanMazursky
30-May-2010, 13:19
I bought a rubber stopper and some tubing from home depot.
I drilled out the center of the stopper a little smaller then the tubbing and forced it in.
Its easy to blow into the free end of the tube and the drum lid will slowly come off.
You can prevent an over pressure situation that can weaken the drum overtime.
Well worth the few bucks and no fat lip!