PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking tools for camera projects?

dsphotog
29-May-2010, 02:25
What tools do you have/use/want/ find useful, & for what camera restoration/fabrication related tasks?

Rick A
29-May-2010, 02:40
I have loads of hand tools (I'm retired furniture builder)and power tools. I mostly use small hand saws, planes,router,sanders, etc. If you dont have access to a table saw or jointers and planers for rough dimensioning materials, make friends(and pay)with a small wood shop owner. A router table, a good quality router(not a handyman special), and a quality set of cutters is (IMO) the most versitile machine you can have. It will allow you to not only put decorative edges on stock, will also make box joints, dovetail joints, etc. You can even set it up as a jointer for planing an edge or truing out a small bow. A good set of chisels, and a decent power drill(corded or cordless).
I could ramble on for hours on this subject, but no need.

RichardRitter
29-May-2010, 03:37
Bigger shop space and more time.

Bruce Barlow
29-May-2010, 04:10
Richard Ritter, the best camera work tool on the planet, and probably in the universe.

Bruce Barlow
29-May-2010, 08:04
No, I didn't, but thank you for such a gratuitous comment in response to my compliment of Mr. Ritter.

Michael Roberts
29-May-2010, 09:13
David-for restoration, not much in the way of tools--small screwdrivers and sandpaper mostly, along with products like antique furniture refinisher, stain, and tung oil.

For building, a chop (mitre) saw, 1/4 in. drill with various sized bits, good metal ruler, a metal right-angle, small clamps, assorted screws, etc.

I keep thinking I need to get a small table saw, but haven't yet.

I also found a local pro woodworker for doing things I don't have the tools/expertise to tackle or when it's not worth it to me to go out and buy an expensive power tool for a one-off project. I've had him build a back rail for a 1925 Empire State 11x14, cut down some reducing backs (the table saw thing again), and such.

vizion
29-May-2010, 11:28
A miniature tap & die set plus a very steady hand is IMHO an essential asset - you need to engineer metal as well as wood.
David

Scott Walker
29-May-2010, 13:50
I have a Unimat watch makers lathe with milling attachment. I have used it in the past to fabricate small parts lost or broken on friends cameras over the years. Also after many years of Jewellery manufacturing on a large scale I have some larger lathes and drill presses as well as foredom cable driven hand tools. One thing that I would consider an important tool for manufacture or repair is a good work bench.

Mark Fisher
30-May-2010, 17:45
I agree with what has been said so far. If you do decide to get a table saw, be very careful as there are a lot of small parts in a camera...and small parts can be challenging on a table saw . Learn how to do it safely. A good alternative to a table saw (IMHO) is a band saw. It is safer, but not as accurate. I have access to a good band saw with a 3/4" wide blade and a good fence at work and I can make parts that are accurate enough if I am patient and go slow. Also, get a reasonable size (6" or so) machinist square and a measuring caliper (digital or dial is fine)

Mark Sawyer
30-May-2010, 18:52
In order of most used: Table saw, drill press, small hand-router/trimmer, jig saw, slide saw.

More common tools like screw-drivers, pliers, a hand-held power drill, and the like are presumed.

Oh yeah, duct tape. Gotta have duck tape!

Ulrich Drolshagen
31-May-2010, 07:35
If you do decide to get a table saw, be very careful as there are a lot of small parts in a camera...and small parts can be challenging on a table saw .
Most of these camera parts are slats (is this the right term?) These are safe to work with on woodworking machines as far as they are long enough. Once they are cut to their final length they become difficult and dangerous to handle without appropriate fixtures. Pay attention to your fingers esp. when working on a milling machine to make the joints. Don't try to save time and money by relinquishing to make dedicated fixtures if the parts get too short.

Ulrich