PDA

View Full Version : Dirt cheap 4x5 lens wider than 90mm?

awldune
28-May-2010, 12:55
I'm thinking about a DIY camera project and would love to get my hands on a cheap (<$150) wide (< 90mm) lens that would cover 4x5.

I wouldn't mind if it's slow, in barrel, etc. Maybe even an exotic "Surplus Shed" solution would be acceptible.

Does it get cheaper than the 65mm Super Angulon?

Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks.

Eric Woodbury
28-May-2010, 13:04
I don't know about <150, but there is a Fuji 65 that is quite nice. And super cheap is the pinhole. Maybe too slow.

IanG
28-May-2010, 13:26
Sometimes f8 65mm & 75mm Super Angulons go for about that. I bought a second hand 75mm f8 SA from Italy 4 years ago it was mint in the original box, had never been used.

having both I'd go for the 75mm, mines the only lens I use on my 6x17

IAn

Darcy Cote
28-May-2010, 21:21
That is difficult to obtain for the wides. Your are looking at $300 plus.

eddie
30-May-2010, 15:53
That is difficult to obtain for the wides. Your are looking at $300 plus.

not true. you can easily get 90mm f8 for 200-250....and if you are on a budget and wanted more for less keh.com has one for $133.....:eek:

http://www.keh.com/camera/Large-Format-Fixed-Focal-Length-Lenses/1/sku-LF06009012968N?r=FE

eddie

JRFrench
30-May-2010, 17:19
I've bought two 90mm lenses off this website, one for $100 (Graflex raptar f6.8) and one for $120 (Fujinon f8), so they needn't be expensive. Both in great condition. I have access to another Graflex at that price too.

Steve M Hostetter
30-May-2010, 17:36
Wollensak 80mm can be had for 100.00

rdenney
30-May-2010, 18:48
I paid $200 for my 65/8 Super Angulon. If you found one with a broken shutter, it would be cheaper--the lenses aren't worth enough for a seller to find a new shutter for them. They came in Compur 00 shutters, and working shutters are worth more than the lens. (I bought mine to get the shutter to replace the shutter in my 47/5.6 SA. Then, a forum member sold me a Prontor Press 00 shutter for the 65/8. I'm now getting ready to set it up as an ultra-wide for my Speed Graphic.)

I think I paid $250 for my 65/5.6 Super Angulon, but that might be the cheapest they get.

The Fuji 75/8 lenses were cheap until the word got out about Fuji, and they now sell for at least $300, it seems.

At 90, there are many other options, including an Optar WA, an Angulon, and so on. These often sell in the sub-$200 bracket.

Getting deals at the very bottom of the price range requires patience, vigilance, and quick action.

Rick "who hasn't seen Surplus Shed cheapies with that wide a field" Denney

awldune
30-May-2010, 19:13
I should have been more clear; I am looking for lenses wider than 90mm, non-inclusive. So really what I had in mind was 75-80mm or wider.

I wasn't aware of any 80mm lenses, so I will keep an eye out for that 80mm Wolly.

Thanks for your input Rick. I don't monitor the surplus sites/catalogs regularly but I know sometimes weird optics show up there.

edgewing
30-May-2010, 22:57
not true. you can easily get 90mm f8 for 200-250....and if you are on a budget and wanted more for less keh.com has one for $133.....:eek:

http://www.keh.com/camera/Large-Format-Fixed-Focal-Length-Lenses/1/sku-LF06009012968N?r=FE

eddie

Yes, the problem is when not resident in the US or Canada, KEH want enough information to "verify you" to allow for identity theft. eg. Copy of your passport and both sides of your credit card.

Apparently you are trustworthy if you live in the US or Canada but not elsewhere in the world.

I'll be shopping elsewhere

Regards

Ivan J. Eberle
31-May-2010, 07:39
Since it's a DIY camera project, have you considered using a 5x7 back with a 90mm that will cover the format?

Sevo
31-May-2010, 08:54
Yes, the problem is when not resident in the US or Canada, KEH want enough information to "verify you" to allow for identity theft. eg. Copy of your passport and both sides of your credit card.

Well, either is no more useful for identity theft than the public business register here in town or the info page on my web site - both mandatory for business owners at least in Europe. Honestly, I am more worried when I pay with CC in a restaurant...

Back to topic: Narrow neck f/8 SA 65 and 75mm are generally cheap - you can often get them hereabouts for 150€ on less desirable lens boards (like Plaubel or Cambo). And they are excellent performers, at least for outdoor or studio black and white. For chromes you'll have to get hold of the matching ND grad, and these tend to be twice the price of the actual lens. And a lens with a sweet spot of effectively f/32 or worse is not really the tool of choice for naturally lit living room portraits...

Sevo

Mark Sawyer
31-May-2010, 12:15
The 58mm Grandagon for the Graflex XL just nips the corners of a 4x5, if you can live with that. They tend to be cheap, especially if they have a separation problem, (it seems like a lot of them do). The nature of separation in these lenses tends to look like a coating issue, and doesn't seem to affect performance.

awldune
31-May-2010, 19:08
Thanks for everyone's input, this is a lot of good candidates to watch for.

90mm on 5x7 would be a clever solution, but I don't have any 5x7 holders etc and would rather keep things simple with one format.

65mm SA in broken shutter might be the best way to go... one on ebay currently so we'll see how that goes.

mdm
1-Jun-2010, 12:49
Actually, you only have to do it once. I emailed them a scan of my drivers licence when I bought my first bargain sinar f. They do seem to clear their junk on international customers who are unlikely to return the item, but a lens should be a reasonable risk.

David

Apparently you are trustworthy if you live in the US or Canada but not elsewhere in the world.

I'll be shopping elsewhere

Regards

awldune
16-Jun-2010, 07:12
Won a 65mm/8 SA for $135. Slow speeds are off but that is not a big concern. Thanks to all who provided their input!

IanG
17-Jun-2010, 03:29
Sometimes the Compur shutter on those 65mm's free's up on the slow speeds with a bit of exercise. Great little lenses capable of excellent quality, as long as you don't need movements :D

Ian