PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Super Technika IV

Studebaker
28-May-2010, 12:50
Hi friends, this is my first post in this forum.
I'd like to buy a 4x5 camera and i think in this Linhof model.
Is a good choice?
Thank you very much

Eric Rose
28-May-2010, 14:02
I have a Tek IV and have lugged it all over the world making photos. The poor thing looks like it's been through a war but still functions perfectly. Great camera and in my opinion (if your not using super wide angles) better than the Tek V. The thing that bugs me about the V is the little plastic ratchet they use for lens rise. Looks like in my world this would be the first thing to break. I have never found the little wheel a problem.

Studebaker
29-May-2010, 03:56
Thanks Eric, i'll buy it.

Ed Richards
29-May-2010, 05:01
I also used a Tech IV for a lot of work. I found that I needed wider lenses and more movements for architecture, but it is great for landscapes and people.

Studebaker
1-Jun-2010, 04:23
And which are the good polaroid backs?
Works with Fuji sheets?
Many thanks

Paul Metcalf
1-Jun-2010, 06:10
The thing that bugs me about the V is the little plastic ratchet they use for lens rise. Looks like in my world this would be the first thing to break.My Tech V has a metal ratchet, very handy. The only issue (but only 0.4% of the time) is the bellows draw, just allows a 300mm, so anything longer needs a telephoto, but again, very rarely an issue for what I shoot.

Bob Salomon
1-Jun-2010, 06:41
There is no problem with any gearing in a V or a Master but there can be a big problem if early IVs need service as there are no parts left for the early IV models. Also, if you use a 90mm or shorter lens it becomes almost impossible to reach and operate the rise control as the front standard sits so far back. The lever on the V and later cameras eliminated that problem. Also there is an additional drop bed position on the V and the accessory shoe on top comes off to expose another tripod socket so the camera can be used upside down to get increased lens drop.

mrossano
1-Jun-2010, 09:58
My Tech V has a metal ratchet, very handy. The only issue (but only 0.4% of the time) is the bellows draw, just allows a 300mm, so anything longer needs a telephoto, but again, very rarely an issue for what I shoot.

I have owned both a Tech IV and a V and they both had over 16" of bellows draw; far more than the 300mm quoted.

Paul Metcalf
1-Jun-2010, 10:56
I have owned both a Tech IV and a V and they both had over 16" of bellows draw; far more than the 300mm quoted.Well, I got curious, so dug out the tech V and yes, in fact it does extend to just around 16" (bellows are pretty tight), so I must have been thinking of my Nikkor 450mm, not the Nikkor 300mm. Thanks, sorry for the confusion.